PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hex

Discuschill
08-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Hey, we have a new breeding pair with free swimmers that stopped eating after laying eggs. Now we notice white poop. Can this be hex?

Filip
08-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Kathy ,I believe that you are far more experienced for me to give you an advice, but having fought against this condition many times before all I can say is that whatever it is called is treatable with clean water , elevated temps. and metronidazole . It can take more than two weeks before discus start eating again , but they do it eventually.
Hex is ussualy used as a "shoot all" term used for many different intestinals but regardless of the name this treatment ussualy takes care of them all.
Good luck.

LizStreithorst
08-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Kathy ,I believe that you are far more experienced for me to give you an advice, but having fought against this condition many times before all I can say is that whatever it is called is treatable with clean water , elevated temps. and metronidazole . It can take more than two weeks before discus start eating again , but they do it eventually.
Hex is ussualy used as a "shoot all" term used for many different intestinals but regardless of the name this treatment ussualy takes care of them all.
Good luck.

I disagree. Heximita are flagellets. Worms are worms. They are two completely types of parasites and require different treatments.

This sounds like hex. You might be able to treat with high heat alone, but increase aeration. You can also use metro but don't use it at 250 mg per 10 as is directed on the label. Threat at 400 mg daily for 12 days. With small fry in the tank you may want to change 90% of the water twice daily and retreat after every WC.

Good luck.

smsimcik
08-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Also turn out the lights when treating with metro. Metro is quickly inactivated by light, either aquarium light or sunlight.

nc0gnet0
08-07-2016, 09:13 PM
How old are the free swimmers? It's not uncommon for parents to stop eating when they are with fry. Not all of them do this, but some do. I am not sure I would treat with anything just yet, maybe temp the parents with some frozen blood worms just to see if they will eat them.

Filip
08-08-2016, 04:30 AM
@ Liz ,
I ment that metro ussualy kills all the different types of flaggelates wheather it is hexamita salmonis or spironucleus vortens or other octomitus type of intestinal flagelatte protozoans.
Worms , nematodes are different types of organism and require different treats to kill or purge them out of system. They don't cause hunger strikes and discus appetite is not affected , at least not in the early stages .

LizStreithorst
08-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that you were saying that metro would cure all ills.

Filip
08-08-2016, 07:26 PM
No bother Liz . It was a late night typing for me and it probably did sounded a little misleading :-) .