PDA

View Full Version : Water changes are too slow

scrappinjaime
08-07-2016, 09:14 PM
I have a 75 gal tank and a aqueon water changer. Aqueon is like the python but different brand. Anyway, it takes one hour to drain the tank. I guess my water pressure must be very light. Since it is light, it barely picks up any yuck that needs to come out. So does anyone have a recommendation to speed it up? If it is a pump of some sort it has to be quiet or my husband will be unhappy? TIA, Jaime

zimmjeff
08-07-2016, 09:28 PM
use vinal tubing out a window and fill with the other product. Jeff

Poppa Ryno
08-07-2016, 09:31 PM
3/4"-1" id hose

Neptune
08-07-2016, 09:46 PM
use vinal tubing out a window and fill with the other product. Jeff

Yep, you have a door or window close by?
I use a garden hose screwed to a PVC pipe that hangs on the tank, I drain right out the door to the hosta garden.
Then I refill with the python/aqueon. I can drain about 25 gallons in about 5 minutes.

Filip
08-08-2016, 02:57 AM
Is your tank elevated on a stand or its close to the ground? The bigger the height between the tank and the drain the faster it will drain.Try to drain it in your lowest point like a toilet or some drain on the ground.
If this doesn't work , buying the strongest submersible pump from your LFS , at least 500 gph should do the trick.

jim LI
08-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Is your tank elevated on a stand or its close to the ground? The bigger the height between the tank and the drain the faster it will drain.Try to drain it in your lowest point like a toilet or some drain on the ground.

+1

Dhavalsp
08-08-2016, 09:22 AM
you can just detach the broader plastic thing (lets call in elongated funnel) in the front once the flow starts, the suction power should increase tremendously after that due to reduction in the diameter of entry point....just be careful not to suck up any small fish if there are any.

scrappinjaime
08-08-2016, 12:34 PM
My tank is on a stand, If I used an submersible pump how do you vacuum the yuck out of the tank? Sorry if this is a stupid question. All I've ever used in the past is the aqueon (python off brand).

scrappinjaime
08-08-2016, 03:16 PM
This looks like it would work well, the only thing I'm afraid of is siphoning the yuck out. I have a light layer of sand, do you think stirring up the sand will be sufficient to move out the poop with this method? thank you

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Filip
08-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Manyvpeople use Aquarium battery driven vacuum cleaners such as Eheim gravel vacuum cleaner , and report positive feedback . I'm about to try it out my self .
Here is the link with info.The good thing about it is that you can vacuum many times a day after a feeding without having to remove water from the tank.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eheim+gravel+vacuum&client=ms-android-alcatel&prmd=svin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuqr3H9rLOAhViLsAKHZDvBTcQ_AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=559#imgrc=taceV1BnR8e9UM%3A

BTW . my method of sand cleaning right now is to disturb the sand thoroughly as much and as deep as I can manually , and when all the dirt is in the water column I drain the water down .After the refill pre- filters should take care of the remaining dirt in the water column.

scrappinjaime
08-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know how this set up would work, How are they attaching the siphon side of this?

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/attachments/cleaning-maintenance/100401d1334678531-gravel-vacuum-345.jpg

LizStreithorst
08-08-2016, 08:43 PM
The $48. one from Jehmco looks perfect for you. You can attach a hose to both ends. I suggest that you phone them, tell them your problem and ask if the $48. one is right for you. They will not sell you anything that will not work well for you. I love them for that. They are my favorite folks to order from.

scrappinjaime
08-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Thank you, I will call them tomorrow.

LizStreithorst
08-08-2016, 09:43 PM
If you want to use the Python to vacuum the sand, tell that to Jehmco.

I don't know the diameter of a Python hose but it's much smaller than a garden hose. There is always a way to connect hoses of different diameters together. A local hardware store would help you, if you have a local hardware store. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks working at many Lowe's and Home Depot's as well.

scrappinjaime
08-08-2016, 10:37 PM
I will that would be my first option, I would love To be able to vacuum and drain from the same unit.

Poppa Ryno
08-08-2016, 11:03 PM
I believe these are the python sizes in diameter. HTH
ID 9/16", OD 3/4" and wall is 3/32"

DJW
08-09-2016, 01:28 AM
I make my own gravel & sand cleaner out of a water bottle. This way you can customize it to the flow rate of your pump or siphon. Cut some notches on the cut off bottom of the bottle and attach the hose to the top. If the sand is being drawn out with too much flow, poke some holes near the bottom to lessen the suction at the end. With a little experimentation you can get it just right.

After the sand cleaning is done, I clamp the drain hose to the rim with the end of the bottle at the level where I want draining to stop. Then I go off and get distracted. One time I clamped it at the bottom of the tank and got wrapped up in reading some emails. There was a funny sound. It was a gurgling hose and a bunch of angelfish flopping around in 1/2 an inch of water.

Bc chick
08-09-2016, 06:14 PM
My tank is on a stand, If I used an submersible pump how do you vacuum the yuck out of the tank? Sorry if this is a stupid question. All I've ever used in the past is the aqueon (python off brand).

As i mentioned in your other thread, a submersible doesnt have a intake hose, so it wont siphone. You would need a pump that has a out and intake hookups for hoses. They might not be so quiet tho. I had the same aqueon hookup and same as you, my pressure was no good for sucking. I went to can tire and got a pump with both. Sucks like a charm and emptied my 65 in no time. Before i was done my vacuum lol

scrappinjaime
08-09-2016, 06:42 PM
What is can tire? What is your pump called? Thank you

Bc chick
08-09-2016, 08:36 PM
What is can tire? What is your pump called? Thank you

Canadian tire. Not sure its the best out there, but its what i found.

Bc chick
08-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Did you come up with a plan?

scrappinjaime
08-15-2016, 04:46 PM
I'm going to try a different faucet and if that doesn't work I'm going to try without a faucet. I called Jehmco and they are not able to hook me up with a drain with a vacuum. I didn't order it because I was worried about not being able to vacuum. Do you think it would be ok to use it??

Bc chick
08-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Sorry i dont know anytjing about them

Deman
08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
I ordered and received my Python last week after five months of siphoning into buckets and refilling also with five gallon buckets. Can't believe I waited so long to make the change as it is sooooo much more efficient.
My water pressure often isn't sufficient to be able to vacuum the gravel properly so I now start the siphon process with the tap and then close the drain portion of the unit and unscrew it from the tap and take it outside where it will sit about five feet below the intake/vacuum tube in the tank. Once you open the drain part, it will siphon with with more than enough force to easily clean your sand or gravel.
Once I've removed enough water from the tank I turn off the drain again and re attach to the tap for filling the aquarium

scrappinjaime
08-24-2016, 02:23 PM
Yep, you have a door or window close by?
I use a garden hose screwed to a PVC pipe that hangs on the tank, I drain right out the door to the hosta garden.
Then I refill with the python/aqueon. I can drain about 25 gallons in about 5 minutes.

How do you get the water started to drain? I think this is the best choice for me.

pitdogg2
08-24-2016, 03:32 PM
How do you get the water started to drain? I think this is the best choice for me.
Easy fill the barrel turn right side up and raise. Then stick back into water and go about your business.

If I understand the question correctly.

Neptune
08-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Do you really want to know! LOL...a quick suck and it starts...