PDA

View Full Version : Teach me abt high bodied discus

Poppa Ryno
08-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Hi discus nuts,

I am curious abt high body discus. Isnt this a bad thing?Isnt it a defect? Doesnt it qualify as what used to be culled? Im just trying to learn more abt genetics and standards. Thanks in advance for any info.

Akili
08-08-2016, 01:18 PM
A recent thread on high bodied discus http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122515-High-Body-and-Bulldog-Discus

Allwin
08-08-2016, 01:26 PM
By the way, don't confuse bull dog discus with high body discus.

Poppa Ryno
08-08-2016, 01:30 PM
By the way, don't confuse bull dog discus with high body discus.

Oh i didnt, lol.

Bulldog discus are horrible. High bodied are definitely not my thing either. I prefer round and thick. I was mainly asking because i see a lot of breeders using them now. Along with sponsors here & importers elsewhere having increasingly rising numbers of them. I have 0 plans on obtaining any at all. Im usually surprised to see people showing them off.

Poppa Ryno
08-08-2016, 01:32 PM
A recent thread on high bodied discus http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122515-High-Body-and-Bulldog-Discus

Thank you for the link, Akili. This was about what i figured the thoughts were.

Poppa Ryno
08-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Ive been searching for some nice Cobalts and am running into mostly HB cobalts. Its starting to chap my behind to see this. Lol

gunnerschh2
08-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Just got a very nice cobalt from Uncle Sams.See if they have any you like. Harry

Altum Nut
08-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Everyone has their preference being Bulldog or High Bodied Discus. I too prefer round myself but others that are being bred as mentioned bring in top dollars where there is a demand. Some may think of it as a defect but others will beg to differ.
Somewhat of an answer to your question.

...Ralph

Poppa Ryno
08-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Just got a very nice cobalt from Uncle Sams.See if they have any you like. Harry

No thank you. Not a fan. But appreciate the heads up.

Poppa Ryno
08-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Everyone has their preference being Bulldog or High Bodied Discus. I too prefer round myself but others that are being bred as mentioned bring in top dollars where there is a demand. Some may think of it as a defect but others will beg to differ.
Somewhat of an answer to your question.

...Ralph

So your saying its only a defect in the eye of the beholder? Interesting way to look it. I liked my 5 footed calf/cow growing up. Was beautiful, had it not had a 5th foot, but im pretty sure it was still a defective gene/allele. But i do get your point.

warblad79
08-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Most Hi-body and bulldog don't grow larger than 6". It's rare to see any of those would pass 6". I had few of them in the past and kind a regret buying them. They look terrible when they get fat and thick

camthi609
08-10-2016, 03:57 AM
Talk about defects and eye of the beholder.... Has anyone noticed the discus's gills seem a bit short of coverage on the market lately? Some even from reputable distributors and all, sad. Should these fish have not been culled too as they are more prone to infections and diseases....?

DISCUS STU
08-10-2016, 09:47 AM
It's all personal preference. I prefer completely round, well proportioned Discus whether they're domestic or wild fish. To me High Bodies or Bull Dog Discus are unacceptable and can even be somewhat grotesque looking but there are others that don't share this view. I was in a good lfs store yesterday where one of the guys that worked there said he wanted to give away a gull grown Bull Dog. As a full grown fish he didn't want it and I tend to have the same opinion.

Here's a pic. of one that I found at a local importer recently. It was quit large. The importer made me aware this it was already sold even though I would have no intention of buying it anyway. Though I think someone paid a good dollar for it.

Your call. Beautiful, ugly, or somewhere in between? Definitely not my cup or tea.