PDA

View Full Version : Discus titles?

AndreyDaGiant
08-09-2016, 08:43 AM
I live in PG county MD and my LFS's use use words like (Fancy,Assorted,Dancing,Mixed,) to lable there discus to me these words mean they don't know what strand it is. but they also charge premium prices for discus labled this way and I half to say most don't even look healthy. can anyone explain what these words mean and why the price is always so high associated with these words? now don't get me wrong I understand that discus in general are exspensive but that usually comes with size and strand specific discus. what im talking about these discus seem to be from small to large in the same tank and labled words like FANCY discus all for the same premium price no matter the size and when ive questioned my LFS's they know very little or say I half to wait for some discus guru who never seems to be working when I shop lol? please help clear these terms up for me thanx in advance!

Second Hand Pat
08-09-2016, 08:59 AM
It is a simply ploy to separate you from your money. :)

I would suggest buying your discus from one of the sponsors. The quality is way better, the fish are healthy and you get way more for your money plus you know exactly what you are getting.
Pat

DISCUS STU
08-10-2016, 09:27 AM

I would suggest buying your discus from one of the sponsors. The quality is way better, the fish are healthy and you get way more for your money plus you know exactly what you are getting.
Pat

This is right on. All bs. Don't bother buying from these people and buy from one of the sponsors, another reputable reseller, or a good breeder / importer in your area.

chaoslite
08-10-2016, 09:32 AM

Pat

Listen to Pat.

Mishka

Keith Perkins
08-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Definitions for LFS discus descriptors of Fancy, Assorted, Dancing, and Mixed:

Fancy - we don't see anything wrong with these fish, but then again we don't know what we're suppose to be looking for.
Assorted - cross bred discus with unknown genetics, could be heavily peppered pigeon blood to non-pigeon blood for all we know.
Dancing - something's wrong with these discus and they're really skittish, but they sell better when we call them dancing.
Mixed - same thing as assorted, but we got so much of this crap we didn't want to call them all the same thing.

Buy from sponsors or known local breeders.

jmf3460
08-10-2016, 10:45 AM
I read "discus titties" for some reason when I read the title. haha i imagined a bunch of nipples on a discus for feeding babies.

AndreyDaGiant
08-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Definitions for LFS discus descriptors of Fancy, Assorted, Dancing, and Mixed:

Fancy - we don't see anything wrong with these fish, but then again we don't know what we're suppose to be looking for.
Assorted - cross bred discus with unknown genetics, could be heavily peppered pigeon blood to non-pigeon blood for all we know.
Dancing - something's wrong with these discus and they're really skittish, but they sell better when we call them dancing.
Mixed - same thing as assorted, but we got so much of this crap we didn't want to call them all the same thing.

Buy from sponsors or known local breeders. Thanx abunch I will be traveling to B-more to see Discus Hans sence hes lest than an hour from me! thanx again to everyone

Phillydubs
08-10-2016, 01:13 PM
I just burst out laughing at my desk Jacklyn~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAAHHAHAHA

As all the rest said... Just a little marketing game! You made the right decision coming here and asking and you will do just fine heading to hans and getting quality!

Willie
08-10-2016, 02:27 PM
You're extremely lucky to be so close to a quality discus importer. Don't handicap yourself by buying discus from a LFS or an unknown/unfamiliar source.

Willie

Kyla
08-10-2016, 03:27 PM
lol @ jacklyn! read it that way every time i skim it! and keith those r some really accurate descriptions ! Andret i wish i lived close to hans, you will def find some beautiful, healthy discus from him!

cedar
08-10-2016, 09:58 PM
oh man,! to be so lucky as to be so close to Hans!! run, run fast right to him!!

DISCUS STU
08-11-2016, 06:06 PM
A trip to Discus Hans in MD would be the answer to all your questions.