PDA

View Full Version : Ph for healthy discus

MD.David
08-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Hello everyone,
Just wanted some insight of what other discus keepers think about discus in ph higher then 8.0
Jorg Stendker is sited here saying above "8.0 they don't feel well and above 8.5 they die".
https://youtu.be/r8Kb5mfmeeM

I have friends that have had problems keeping there discus in 8.3ph, and it would fall inline with what Mr.Stendker is saying, moreover I would suggest Jorg Stendker would have access to some of the worlds leading marine biologist.
Any insight from some local experts?

MD.David
08-14-2016, 03:53 PM
And if lowering is Perferred, what is the best chemicals to choose especially when we all change water once a day.

bluelagoon
08-15-2016, 11:10 AM
No chemicals like acids;it makes the PH bounce around.Use a mix of RO water and tap to lower GH/KH.If you have a high KH your water will be higher in PH.

Filip
08-15-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't know if keeping discus above 8 is doable or not , or better yet how harmful and tolerable it would be for discus on the long run .
You cant say for sure unless you try it for your self .

As for lowering PH , pressurized Co2 with pH solenoid could be a weapon of choice , but you will still have to lower the KH first and figure out how will you synchronize the parameters of new water during the large WCs.
And that's a hardest part IMO.

DISCUS STU
08-17-2016, 11:38 AM
No chemicals like acids;it makes the PH bounce around.Use a mix of RO water and tap to lower GH/KH.If you have a high KH your water will be higher in PH.

+1!