PDA

View Full Version : Wooden wine barrel for aging water?

s2002
08-17-2016, 12:45 PM
I'd like to keep my water aging container close to my aquarium so I don't have to move it around all the time. But plastic barrels don't look good in the living room.

I love the look of wine/whiskey barrels (http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/5729213567.html) and was wondering if they will work. Some problems might be:

Will barrel remain water tight?
Will there be fungus or mold?
How do I open the top of the barrel? I assume there's some way to do this but I don't have power tools.

Are there other problems I'm missing? Do you have solutions to these problems? I love to hear you insights!

MD.David
08-17-2016, 12:58 PM
This is most definitely NOT a good idea!
The old wine or whisky barrel will seep particles of whatever was in it last, that part of aging wine or spirits in the wood barrel, to get the taste of the wood.
I would suggest this is a big NO for an aging system.

Wes
08-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Put a fish safe rubbermaid barrel into your whiskey barrel.

s2002
08-17-2016, 03:32 PM
This is most definitely NOT a good idea!
The old wine or whisky barrel will seep particles of whatever was in it last, that part of aging wine or spirits in the wood barrel, to get the taste of the wood.
I would suggest this is a big NO for an aging system.

Yikes! Thank you so much for the warning.

Put a fish safe rubbermaid barrel into your whiskey barrel.

What a great idea! I'll see if I can get that to work. Best of both worlds yay!

EJ_B
08-17-2016, 06:29 PM
If you are looking for something that will look better than a generic plastic barrel, you could look into decorative rain catching barrels. Most are a faux terra cottage and look pretty nice, suitable for a living room.

MD.David
08-17-2016, 11:17 PM
If you are looking for something that will look better than a generic plastic barrel, you could look into decorative rain catching barrels. Most are a faux terra cottage and look pretty nice, suitable for a living room.

This is a great idea!
:)

s2002
08-18-2016, 11:12 AM

That's a great idea! I think I saw some pretty nice ones on Homedepot.com! Thank you.