PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tank water setup

Deman
08-17-2016, 08:30 PM
My Red Dragons have now spawned twice in the community tank they share with five other discus and a handful of neons, four corys and a couple of algae eaters. They ate the wigglers shortly after they hatched the first spawn and ate the eggs right after spawning the second time.
I have now setup a spawning tank and want to make sure what I am trying to accomplish with the water is going to work before I move move them over.

The community tank (75 gal) has an Eheim 2717 canister filter and an AquaClear 110 power filter. The breeding tank is 60 gals and I have divided in half to facilitate two breeding pairs once a second set pairs up. That tank came with two Fluval 105 canister filters.
What I've done is take the Aquaclear filter off the community tank and attached it to the breeding tank with all media as it was in the community tank. I also took one of the Fluvals and moved it to the community tank with all new filter media in it. My hopes are that the Aquaclear will seed the new tank with beneficial bacteria and the Fluval will capture the same from the community tank. I did the swap about a week ago hoping to speed up being able to move the discus over.

Am I on the right track here?
Do I need to cycle the breeding tank water anyways?
Should I add community tank water to what's in the breeding tank?
I haven't added anything to the tank so far. Will the bacteria survive with no food etc?
Right now the breeding tank water tests at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates.
Any thoughts will be appreciated

Akili
08-17-2016, 09:06 PM
I find canister filters and AquaClear hang on the back type filters create too much turbulence,sponge filter work the best in a breeding tanks.Water of TDS below 100 works out best with breeding pairs.

Larry Bugg
08-17-2016, 09:35 PM
You cannot move a seeded filter to a new tank without moving some fish into to it at the same time or feeding the bb. You say you moved it about a week ago so I would guess that the bb in it are now all dead.

Deman
08-17-2016, 09:36 PM
TDS is 60 ppm.
Probably switching to sponge filter once everything is right.
Just worrying that the water conditions will change poorly with fish introduction as it never cycled.

Deman
08-17-2016, 09:37 PM
You cannot move a seeded filter to a new tank without moving some fish into to it at the same time or feeding the bb. You say you moved it about a week ago so I would guess that the bb in it are now all dead.

That's one of my worries. Could I now add Nutrafin Cycle to replace bb and a couple of goldfish for feed? Would I need to wait for a complete cycle to occur now?
Thx

Larry Bugg
08-17-2016, 09:56 PM
That's one of my worries. Could I now add Nutrafin Cycle to replace bb and a couple of goldfish for feed? Would I need to wait for a complete cycle to occur now?
Thx

I don't know anything about Nutrafin Cycle. One of the speakers at the NADA Show in recommended this. https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatics-Fritzzyme-7-Freshwater-Nitrifying/dp/B0002DGKAO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471485246&sr=8-5&keywords=fritz+zyme

Adding gold fish is a horrible idea.

DJW
08-17-2016, 10:13 PM
A week is a long time without some ammonia, but just for the heck of it I would dose the tank with ammonia right away while you are waiting for the bacteria. If there are any surviving bacteria you will be ahead. It has been shown that they can go into a dormant state. I have used both Fritz-zyme and Tetra safestart with good results.

Deman
08-17-2016, 10:35 PM
Yup. Seems to be a very similar product

https://www.amazon.com/Nutrafin-Cycle-Bio-Filter-Supplement/dp/B0026C8YJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471487016&sr=8-1&keywords=nutrafin+cycle

Deman
08-17-2016, 10:37 PM
A week is a long time without some ammonia, but just for the heck of it I would dose the tank with ammonia right away while you are waiting for the bacteria. If there are any surviving bacteria you will be ahead. It has been shown that they can go into a dormant state. I have used both Fritz-zyme and Tetra safestart with good results.
Was going to ask about ammonia addition. Thanks for post Dan. How much should I add to 60 gals?

DJW
08-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Make sure its ammonia that doesn't have soap or fragrance. Most people use the Ace Hardware stuff, which is 10% ammonia. If you shake it and it foams, don't use it.

With the 10% ammonia, you would add about a teaspoon=5 ml.... but here is a calculator.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/AmmoniaCycling.php