PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

Neptune
08-18-2016, 06:57 PM
This literally showed up in my tank in the last t minutes. Fish are all acting 100% normal, I did a 50% WC this morning.
Do discus every "blow" their slime coat? The only thing I can think of its a bacteria layer off the wood?

I have a foam filter over my return line so it is not coming from my sump. It looks like the stuff that coats inside of plumbing, but it can't get into my tank the way I have it set up. I'm going to let it settle down and do a water change.

I mean literally turned around and there it was!!

DJW
08-18-2016, 07:10 PM
. nevermind :)

Neptune
08-18-2016, 07:19 PM

That's what I thought, I did add a new Eheim filter a week ago, but the spray bar holes are too small to let these big of chunks through, it had to come from inside the tank. I even wiped down the glass with the WC this morning...
I think it came from the wood???

Ryan925
08-18-2016, 07:37 PM
That's what I thought, I did add a new Eheim filter a week ago, but the spray bar holes are too small to let these big of chunks through, it had to come from inside the tank. I even wiped down the glass with the WC this morning...
I think it came from the wood???

I've read many people say they develop a slime on new wood that eventually goes away. I did not have this occur with mine but have read that on many threads.

Neptune
08-18-2016, 08:13 PM
probably from the wood. it is not new, but I scrubbed the crap out of it on the redo...but whatever it is, it settled out and a lot of it is stuck to the intake foam on the eheim. Didn't bother the fish at all.

Ryan925
08-18-2016, 08:28 PM
probably from the wood. it is not new, but I scrubbed the crap out of it on the redo...but whatever it is, it settled out and a lot of it is stuck to the intake foam on the eheim. Didn't bother the fish at all.

I just added an eheim pre filter to my intake yesterday and removed the fine filter pad inside. Curious to see it works out

Bc chick
08-18-2016, 09:12 PM
This literally showed up in my tank in the last t minutes. Fish are all acting 100% normal, I did a 50% WC this morning.
Do discus every "blow" their slime coat? The only thing I can think of its a bacteria layer off the wood?

I have a foam filter over my return line so it is not coming from my sump. It looks like the stuff that coats inside of plumbing, but it can't get into my tank the way I have it set up. I'm going to let it settle down and do a water change.

I mean literally turned around and there it was!!

This happened to me one time when i did a water change n shut off filter then when i turned it back on a bunch white flakes were floating throughout tank. They looked like little flakes of fish carcass or something from inside the hoses

DJW
08-18-2016, 09:17 PM

Sorry... that stuff looks so much like the stuff that comes off the inside of a hose. Like a dork I posted a response before reading the rest of your thread, and then deleted it. It does look like dried biofilm from someplace.

100fuegos
08-19-2016, 06:17 AM
That stuff (bacteria?) grows inside the hoses. It will be released when you turn off and on the filters. It is harmless and usually fish don't care about it. Some of my fish will pick on it and eat some.

jmf3460
08-19-2016, 08:24 AM
amano shrimp, nerite snails, cherry shrimp, plecos and ottos will eat the crap out of the slime that grows on wood.

Ryan925
08-19-2016, 11:54 AM
That stuff (bacteria?) grows inside the hoses. It will be released when you turn off and on the filters. It is harmless and usually fish don't care about it. Some of my fish will pick on it and eat some.

Mine do as well. Just hate seeing all that gunk blowing into a freshly cleaned and wc tank

Pokediscus
08-25-2016, 01:48 AM
Happens to me too. I start the filter in a small bucket then I transfer the hose in the tank. I hate that gunk.