PDA

View Full Version : My discus is turning dark, not eating and is hanging by the filter, please help!

Lucybee
08-18-2016, 08:22 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
The last 2 days I've noticed he hasn't been eating. Yesterday he was hanging behind the bogwood and today he has spent nearly the whole day beside the filter. Today I noticed he had some white marks though I can't tell if they are fading or not as they aren't as visible.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

He is turning dark and his eyes are darkening. His top fins are bent down and not fully spread like normal (clamped). He hasn't been eating. He seems to have one fin not moving at all which close to his body. He doesn't seem bloated but had some bloating symptoms about 4 days ago. Infact one of my juvenile discus's died on the 13th from some sort of bloat but it was rather extreme :(. He has some patches of his bottom fins which are missing colour (can see this in the photo). I have yet to see any poop.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

NONE

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

3 x julli corys (1 adult, 2 juv)
3 x elegant corys (adult)
1 x catfish (not featherfin but very similar)
3 x discus (2 juv and one slightly bigger Juv)
2 x Dwarf Gourami's
1 x Ghost Shrimp

Tank size is 200L

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
50% every 2-3 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

very fine quartz sand which is deeper in some areas, particularly around plants.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I use regular tap water straight away but use PRIME to condition it

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 28oC
- ph 7.6

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 5

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

100% tap water

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

NO

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i68.tinypic.com/i1wj75.jpg
white Markings have faded since taking the photo an hour ago but he is still very dark and hanging by the filter as I speak.

I must note that the tank has suffered spikes in nitrite and ammonia due to the tank start up. These have been cleared for a week. Initially an ammonia spike then a nitrite spike. Water parameters are normal now thanks to prime and a huge reduction in stock.
These spikes were found from me just visiting a fish shop. Since then I purchased the nutrafin master test kit which helps me keep ontop of my water parameters. :)

Any advice would be seriously helpful as I don't know what is wrong with him and I don't want to lose him.

The 2 new juveniles (added on 3rd august) don't seem to be eating much either. They seem a lot happier than the larger juvenile but hang out by the filter sometimes to keep the other company ..I hope!

Lucybee
08-19-2016, 08:08 AM
I'm upset that no one has replied and no one is helping me. :(

He's in a hole in the bogwood now looking really dark . He's sideways

http://i68.tinypic.com/2hqe99i.jpg

The mark is from a pleco which was rejoined at the beginning of the month

Lucybee
08-19-2016, 12:18 PM
After a 50% water change he seems a bit better. I can't see any white marks on him anymore. Though before and during the change he was extremely dark, eyes were black and fins were clamped and he was very still. I recently gave my fish some blood worms, he is acting a lot more normal.. swimming around though he has dark stress striipes. I don't think he is eating though. I have only seen him suck in and then suck out blood worms without eating any. My other discuses do the similar, they are reasonably interested but I don't see them eating.

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Lucy, I would suggest moving this fish and the two other juvies to a BB tank and do large daily water changes as a first course of action. Can you age your water?
Pat

Lucybee
08-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Lucy, I would suggest moving this fish and the two other juvies to a BB tank and do large daily water changes as a first course of action. Can you age your water?
Pat

Thanks for replying pat :)
I'd love to do that but we don't have another tank and we don't have any huge buckets to hold the water though I am planning on buying some for the future.
Is Prime not sufficient to remove the chlorine or chloramine?

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Prime is fine for that Lucy but aging the water stabilizes the water in other ways. Try the large daily water changes for now.
Pat

Lucybee
08-19-2016, 03:36 PM
He's now back by the filter, when he was swimming I saw his top fin spasm a little and his bottom ventrol fins. What could this be?