PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Acting Strange

Aquaman6410
08-20-2016, 11:15 AM
I have a journal posted on here showing my journey. I have 9 Stendker Discus from Hans and they arrived a week ago. One discus in particular is acting strange, hiding, not eating while the others seem to have adjusted great. I'm starting to worry though that one of the others is now starting to act strange. I'm concerned that new fish who all came from one source and not touched any other fish are now possibly dealing with something. I just want to catch it fast. See below.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

My Fire Red discus was really shy to begin with and hid the most. I thought just shipping stress at first. After two days or so the others became more comfortable, swim together, and appetites increasing. The Fire Red tends to hide in a corner near the sponge filter and not swim with the others. It has been a week since having the fish and the Fire Red is not improving.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Fire Red doesn't eat as active as the others. He will sometimes hide during FDBW time and then come out slowly and pick at scraps. He may eat a worm or two, but thats it. Really low appetite. I'm noticing his tail recently looks a little odd, like a little piece missing. Today was the first day I noticed about a 3 inch long poop that was light brown and whitish in color. The other feces in the tank are short black ones from the others I assume. The Fire Red seems to move his fins much slower and less active than others. He also prefers to hide a lot coming out here and there to pick at the tank bottom. I now seem to notice my Scribbelt acting a little strange. His appetite seems to have decreased and sometimes he will go off on his own but not really hide. During feeding, sometimes seems uninterested and I'm afraid of flaggelates/hex could be spreading.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Not tried anything yet. Just keep feeding flakes, FDBW, and beefheart mix. Daily water changes at least 50% minimum. Usually 50% to 75% daily with 24 hour heated, aerated, aged tap water

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
75 gallon, had fish for a week, ordered from Hans a week ago. 9 discus all ordered at the 3+" size Hans offers

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
Usually between 50% to 75% daily with 24 hour heated, aerated, aged tap water

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Tank was cycled fishless with pure ammonia for 2 months prior. Tank is bare bottom with no other fish in it besides the discus.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
Age water for 24 hours with heat and aeration. PH tends to come out around 7.6 from tap and goes to around 7.2 after 24 hours of aging.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84___

- ph _6.8 - 7.2 (low kh in water, about 1 degree or less so ph slowly declines over time)__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0 - <5ppm__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _100% - (3ppm of chloramine that is treated using the appropriate amount of prime or safe)___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

This picture shows the Fire Red hiding.
http://i.imgur.com/AhfxRaY.jpg

This picture shows the roundish piece missing on the Scribbelt's tail that I noticed the Fire Red appears to have the same thing. These are the two fish acting a little odd but it is mainly the Fire Red acting as described above. I could be paranoid but it seems the Scribbelt is starting to decrease appetite, fins move a little slower, and seems to go off away from the rest of the fish.

http://i.imgur.com/RuucIoL.jpg?1

Here is a pic I was able to get of the Fire Red's feces just a minute ago
http://i.imgur.com/JZrb209.jpg?2

Here is a video showing the feeding behavior of everyone. The Fire Red can be seen on the left actually coming out to eat but not aggressively like the others. You can watch him eat a worm, chew it, and then eventually spit it out. The Scribbelt is also the one on the left bottom and appetite seems to be decreasing. He used to eat like the others but seems to be declining in appetite in my opinion.

The quality should be able to be increased on the video settings
https://youtu.be/j8yukU4QLts

Aquaman6410
08-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Well, I did write to Hans and he advised could be stress from shipping and not all act the same. He advised I raise the temp to 87 degrees to relieve stress.

Aquaman6410
08-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Fish seems to still be acting a bit odd showing some symptoms described in my original post. The warmer temp seems to make him act a bit better, swim more, and attempt to eat but still seems to not keep in much and still likes the corner. I'm considering treating with metro but I really don't like using meds. But I also don't want this to get worse so I'm torn. Stepped up water changes to 80% daily and everyone seems to do great with it except the fire red. Scribbelt is also eating less still. Any advice?

Aquaman6410
08-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Here are more pics of the fire red. Notice the feces coming out and the odd tail cut. The feces and lack of appetite like the others is what has me worried.

https://i.imgur.com/Y82BghR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mGfaiIr.jpg

Aquaman6410
09-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Any ideas or thoughts? Fire Red still reclusive, tries to eat but loses interest or spits majority of the food. He has been passing a lot of long white feces, sometimes very little brown mixed in, but mainly clear or white feces. Some have been decently long. Others all appear to have dark feces that look nothing like the Fire red. Should I consider metronidazole at this point? Should I just isolate and treat him alone? Should I treat the whole to make sure no one has caught anything from him. I'm so torn on what to do. I don't want to hurt them with meds but I'm at out of ideas except metro. I lowered the heat back to 85-86 since higher didn't really fix anything.