PDA

View Full Version : NO Nitrates. Is This a Bad Thing?

DISCUS STU
08-22-2016, 09:42 AM
I've just recycled my 29 gal. breeder and while I have 0 nitrites I also seem to have about 0 nitrates.

Using the the API Nitrate Test Kit that won't expire until 2019, I'm looking at very strong yellow readings that show 0 nitrates or at best maybe 2 ppm.

0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites

1/3 daily water water changes using 50/50 RO with tap water using Prime.

Eheim 2015 canister filter.

Are 0 nitrates a bad thing or an indication that the tank isn't ready yet.

Also are there better ways to measure this other than this somewhat visually subjective color coding method? Possibly an affordable electronic meter?

DJW
08-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Are there fish in the tank? Adding ammonia? Ever read nitrite?

If you haven't used the API test in a while, bottle #2 settles and you need to bang it on something and shake the devil out of it, or it will show zero.

The Seachem nitrate test is better, but they both work. I'm not aware of any other, more accurate test unless you spend a fortune.

DISCUS STU
08-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Thanks for you for your response Dan but if you read my post it shows that my ammonia and nitrite are reading at 0 also.

After having read your post I shook the bottle and still have the same measurement.

The cycle was stared with clear ammonia about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I also used Microbe Lift (pond).

I have two fully grown fish in this tank that I hope to breed, both are eating and doing fine and seem to be cleaning the breeding cone.

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Stu, I would be tempted to buy a new nitrate test.
Pat

DJW
08-22-2016, 01:03 PM
I asked about the history of nitrite readings because normally you would be monitoring ammonia and nitrite along the way during the fishless cycling period, adding ammonia as needed and watching it go away, and so on. The changing levels of ammonia and nitrite during the cycling process is what tells you if the filter is cycled, half cycled, or uncycled. At the end you would see a big accumulation of nitrate, and do a 100% WC before adding fish.

Anyway, if you did a 100% WC before adding the fish, and then a day later checked before a water change and got 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, the tank is fully cycled. If there was no cycle there would be ammonia, and if it was only half cycled there would be nitrite.

24 hours after adding fish you might only see 2 ppm of nitrate, and then it would increase every day and eventually top out around 6, maybe 8, depending on how clean the tank is kept. I have no idea how long the fish have been in the tank. If it is only day 1 your nitrate test kit might be OK, if it has been several days the test kit is no good.

DC Discus
08-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Not to surprising. Check out Seachem's website FAQ on Prime. It talks about Nessler based kits that will not read ammonia properly and the fact Prime binds up Nitrite and Nitrate. A process they don't necessarily understand. The key is your daily addition of Prime, which typically only has a 24h cycle in your tank.

Cheers,
DC

DJW
08-22-2016, 02:28 PM
I don't believe Prime would cause misleading test results in this case. There are two types of ammonia test, Nessler and Salicylate.

The Nessler test goes from yellow to amber to brown.

The Salicylate test goes from yellow to green.

The API ammonia test is a salicylate test. It will correctly show the total ammonia amount even when Prime is being used, except that the Prime makes the ammonia non-toxic for 24-48 hours.

Regarding the effect of Prime on nitrite and nitrate readings, Seachem tech support had this to say:

"...when Prime is in the system, you will see a reading for nitrites and/or nitrates on your test kit if these things are in the tank. However, rest assured that they will be in a detoxified form and therefore unavailable to harm your tank inhabitants as long as Prime is in the system."

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/1930-prime-and-reading-nitrite-levels