PDA

View Full Version : Do these discus look stunted?

Cichlids
08-25-2016, 04:02 PM
I have had these guys for about 6 months now and just wanted opinions if you think they are stunted or not.

It may look a little green due to the abundance of duckweed on that part of the surface of the tank. They seem to like that area as opposed to the open more lighted area on the other side.

The 2 larger ones are about 4" and the smaller ones are about 3"

Akili
08-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Hard to tell as the picture is very dark.If you can post some more photo it would help. You mention that you have had them for six months but how old were they when you got them?

Phillydubs
08-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Some look better than others... As Akili has said, its hard to tell and more pics would be nice. I hate to say I am seeing some footballs in there but I am... I feel at your timeframe they should be bigger and rounder...

Larry Bugg
08-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Sorry, yes they look stunted.

Cichlids
08-25-2016, 06:33 PM

what defines a stunted discus I have noticed that color is coming in on the snakeskin. I got them at about 1 1/2"

bluelagoon
08-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I found this chat.http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/plugins_en/pdfs/1.5_Alter_und_Groessee_unserer_Diskusfische_en.pdf

Larry Bugg
08-25-2016, 07:20 PM
You said you have had them for about 6 months and got them at about 1 1/2". Just guessing but I would place them at 8 to 9 months old. They should be about 4 1/2 to 5" at this age. You said they were 3" to 4" which would indicate they are stunted. The next thing is actually looking at them. Look at the eye to body ratio. Draw an imaginary straight vertical line through the eye to the top and bottom of the discus. You should be able to fit about 7 eyes (size of eye) along that line. Most of yours look like they would be 4 or so. This is a indication that they are stunted. They don't look really bad as far as stunting goes but I believe they are stunted. You need to give them lots of clean water to enable them to continue to grow. They still have some time.

warblad79
08-25-2016, 07:24 PM
The color look more matured also indication of stunted.

aquadon2222
08-25-2016, 07:59 PM
IMO yes, thin, straight forehead can be a good indicator of stunted fish. A healthy discus should have a nice, fat forehead and when viewed from the side a curved profile between the eyes and the mouth.

Ryan925
08-25-2016, 10:24 PM
I can tell you that recently I was thinking 3 of my 7 were stunted. They were significantly smaller than the larger ones of the group. All were close to same size when I got them in April. After removing most of my plants, changing substrate these smaller ones almost immediately showed more growth and nicer shape. The larger of the group are filling out and getting even rounder

You arent doing yourself any favors trying to grow them in a heavily planted tank. Take it from someone who made the same mistake.

Cichlids
08-25-2016, 11:46 PM
okay I guess they are stunted but they still look fine right now I am doing daily water changes and besides being stunted there seems to be no other issues with them. If I am going to go at it again with a new batch what parameters would you say a good grow out tank should be for 6-10. 100 gallons, going bb of course.

Ryan925
08-25-2016, 11:59 PM
okay I guess they are stunted but they still look fine right now I am doing daily water changes and besides being stunted there seems to be no other issues with them. If I am going to go at it again with a new batch what parameters would you say a good grow out tank should be for 6-10. 100 gallons, going bb of course.

As long you are doing WCs, they are healthy and you are happy with them that's what matters I'd say. It's all about your expectations. It seems you realize they will never be "text book" discus and are fine with that. It's a constant learning process no doubt. I'm also already considering doing a BB grow out. For now I am happy with my fish. It's a nice looking display tank for the family and we enjoy although I know my fish will never be monsters. I do think my runt is stunted but I've already learned a lot

DISCUS STU
08-26-2016, 10:05 AM

what defines a stunted discus I have noticed that color is coming in on the snakeskin. I got them at about 1 1/2"

Stunted in developing Discus is usually defined first as disproportionately large eyes as well as a growth rate that is behind the curve for their age. When fish are stunted their eyes will continue to grow regardless. PB's have generally smaller eye to body ratio's so it may be a little harder to tell with them using this as an indicator.

pitdogg2
08-26-2016, 10:07 AM

Cichlids
08-26-2016, 02:32 PM
What is a good size grow out tank? I see bb tanks loaded down with a lot of discus but are used for grow outs.

Akili
08-26-2016, 02:40 PM
What is a good size grow out tank? I see bb tanks loaded down with a lot of discus but are used for grow outs.It all depends on how many Discus you are going with. A 75 gallon tank with six adults is a good start or a dozen in a 125 gallon.

Ryan925
08-26-2016, 02:40 PM
What is a good size grow out tank? I see bb tanks loaded down with a lot of discus but are used for grow outs.

That's true but the numbers are continuously reduced as the fish grow. The question is how many are you trying to grow out and how many are you trying to keep as an end result.

Cichlids
08-26-2016, 03:37 PM
right around 6 to 8

also I can get water changes done on a daily basis but with my work and family life the one thing I run into an issue is feeding more than 3 times a day. Is there automatic feeders that people use to feed a grow out tank 5 to 6 times a day?

Akili
08-26-2016, 03:47 PM
right around 6 to 8

also I can get water changes done on a daily basis but with my work and family life the one thing I run into an issue is feeding more than 3 times a day. Is there automatic feeders that people use to feed a grow out tank 5 to 6 times a day?Some people use automatic feeders.3 feedings are fine.

Larry Bugg
08-26-2016, 03:48 PM
You do not need to feed more than three times a day. Feed them in the morning before work, when you return home from work and before going to bed. They will be just fine. You can grow them just a big as anyone who professes to fee 6 to 8 times a day. It simply isn't necessary.

DISCUS STU
08-26-2016, 04:06 PM
You do not need to feed more than three times a day. Feed them in the morning before work, when you return home from work and before going to bed. They will be just fine. You can grow them just a big as anyone who professes to fee 6 to 8 times a day. It simply isn't necessary.

+1

MD.David
08-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Is it safe to assume they have been in a planted tank since you got them?

Cichlids
09-01-2016, 11:23 AM
No actually they in a 48 gallon for about 4 months just had wood with anbius on it

pavlos
09-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Can you please say a few words about that? Have you grown discus with 3 feedings per day and see good results, even in a longer period of time? Cause I intend to believe that overfeeding our discus is not really healthy, if we want to keep discus for a long period of time. And of course it's really difficult to keep discus in a biotope tank, feed 8 times per day and keep the tank clean.

Larry Bugg
09-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Up until recently I've never been in a position to feed more than 3 times a day due to work, unless I used auto feeders and I don't trust them. So, yes I have grown out discus this way but not to the extent that others have. I've grown out discus that I have bred to 3 - 3 1/2" before selling them all and I have grown out discus from 3 1/2 - 4" to adults that I have purchased to breed. That said, one of my biggest discus heroes is John Nicholson and when I was just getting started with discus he told me that more than 2 to 3 feedings a day wasn't necessary. I've seen his results in person and through pictures and post. I know others that get similar results. With what I have seen in my own fish room and what others like John have told and shown me I believe you can be very successful growing them out this way. I think the key factor is clean water rather than excess food. I'm not so sure I believe you can really "power" feed fish. From my experience I think they won't eat more than fills them up. Whether it be 3 feedings a day vs 8, I don't believe they will end up eating more for the total day either way.

Clawhammer
09-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Always an interesting topic, I have modified my feeding schedule from 6 feedings to 3. I can't say if it affects growth over the long term as I made this change rather recently, but I can say that my water quality has improved, my filters and tank walls are cleaner, and there has been no change in my fish's behavior. Couple that with the consistent advice from the pros like Larry and John and I think the decision is very clear.

pavlos
09-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Up until recently I've never been in a position to feed more than 3 times a day due to work, unless I used auto feeders and I don't trust them. So, yes I have grown out discus this way but not to the extent that others have. I've grown out discus that I have bred to 3 - 3 1/2" before selling them all and I have grown out discus from 3 1/2 - 4" to adults that I have purchased to breed. That said, one of my biggest discus heroes is John Nicholson and when I was just getting started with discus he told me that more than 2 to 3 feedings a day wasn't necessary. I've seen his results in person and through pictures and post. I know others that get similar results. With what I have seen in my own fish room and what others like John have told and shown me I believe you can be very successful growing them out this way. I think the key factor is clean water rather than excess food. I'm not so sure I believe you can really "power" feed fish. From my experience I think they won't eat more than fills them up. Whether it be 3 feedings a day vs 8, I don't believe they will end up eating more for the total day either way.

Thanks a lot for the reply... What are you feeding them in these three times?

Larry Bugg
09-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply... What are you feeding them in these three times?

Since I'm in transition, between fish rooms, I'm only feeding a few foods. The two staples in my fish room have always been freeze dried black worms from Al and Tetra Color Granules. I started my current free swimmers out on bbs at about 4 or 5 days free swimming. I then switched them to size df1 Aquabites from Forrest at around 12 days free swimming and I am now switching them to size df2. I really like this food from Forrest. With my last order of fdbw's from Al I ordered some of his Aquatic Suppliers Discus Chow pellets that I will try on the juvies when they get just a little bit bigger. At about 3" I will switch them over to the Tetra Color Granules and fdbw.