PDA

View Full Version : Fish Arrived - Is he stunted?

Clawhammer
08-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Hello everyone. I received my new fish in the mail today from a respected supplier who will remain nameless. I am working with them to resolve my concerns and do not want to cast shade on them until they have a chance to work it out with me, but I wanted to seek input from the community to see if you agree with my thoughts.

I feel one of the fish I got is stunted and has serious fin rot. Thanks in advance for your input:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/51HjFLfpHQVpT4cygWYuelURoIrlkWRM9dKyuR9JrJV4ZweHhb jSGTcFMa-7_AbHCffa1-jB3zTnkZI_094eFvwiU9g9gO204ea2n4gIygzCk5Yx9nERGN4g sQImAGnif7tthg2jiT_gSrRL88oyfq4bTv0ToWsW1cc6gfQYaA jw-7rfHf6R5QzxaZohcf7R8pNOkJO6Sor4ANN3RPPH70UuTPDvVG_ YLu4pR06uHdP1zI7NLmyfTNwvhGcbV0vUkxCUgxuSJFFf7ggle DhyzqTrkC_j328PlJUlJZfpITWrWj9uTrbbVshEeQH28KhrdIB oe3UC1SdwpyejBiUe7MinFVGW3TbIO6umCgsExGVqMg_amiUse V4T5ahZlE6EAW0skXFfMoDkJwWuTQMn6IY8uREsZ7QcoVh3S-wuqXjpMBPDy8pUM-3OV1SLn5NZAKDJXa9WHjIRORjYkA3XqL8SV96SwccR0ZfJIfm5 X1MPpKsgbIkrulpJbPI4r-M9EiwNzCLUq9dU3YeA-kk2bP0YZGoqiWMlfwtCEwjEqz4UHU6z86scmZ7uR6PURiXnkj9 Y9QydZd5XxHxHWP7WKrkc8KvMdOrwq5vDjx3smZqxuJa7HA=w1 274-h955-no

RogueDiscus
08-27-2016, 05:20 PM
I agree, he looks stunted.

Second Hand Pat
08-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Well, I can not see your picture but would suggest looking thru the livestock reports and see if there are any threads on your supplier. Here's a couple of the worst offenders for supplying sub-par discus.
Pat

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?41161-somethingsphishy-feedback

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?57124-Rainforest-Farms-International

Clawhammer
08-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks Pat. This supplier is one of the very top suppliers and is a forum sponsor, hence my discretion on naming them. I am honestly shocked at the gap between this supplier's reputation and this fish. So much so that I just need a few more expert's opinions to believe what I am seeing.

I will post the pic via upload in addition to URL, hope that helps.

Quintin
08-27-2016, 06:04 PM
I'm no expert but that discus is not up to par.

Second Hand Pat
08-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks Pat. This supplier is one of the very top suppliers and is a forum sponsor, hence my discretion on naming them. I am honestly shocked at the gap between this supplier's reputation and this fish. So much so that I just need a few more expert's opinions to believe what I am seeing.

I will post the pic via upload in addition to URL, hope that helps.

Eric, definitely take this up with the sponsor as a first course of action.
Pat

Altum Nut
08-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Eric, I totally agree with Pat...
You should always inform the supplier first to make it right as I noticed your doing from your comments.

...Ralph

Akili
08-27-2016, 06:29 PM
How old are the fish? and Is it serious fin rot or ammonia burns of fins from shipping? Looks more like ammonia burns.Salt and daily water changes should do the trick unless they are really badly burned.

Larry Bugg
08-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Looks like ammonia burn to me.

Clawhammer
08-27-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure of the age, but I received three more of the same size and all had significantly smaller eyes (none were pigeon bloods).

Could be ammonia burns, but he was shipped in the same bag as another one of the same size and that one has no burns. The edge of the back fin is tattered.

Clawhammer
08-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Looks like ammonia burn to me.

Thanks Larry. Do you agree he is stunted?

Filip
08-27-2016, 07:30 PM
I wouldnt worry much about a fin rot or ammonia burn.
It will go away in less then a week with proper water quality.
As for stunting , he is too young and small for me to judge . More experienced members and breeders can tell that more accurate .

warblad79
08-27-2016, 07:56 PM
If I'm the customer I should expect better quality than this since you're I'm already paying premium for their imports. But again you should contact your supplier first before posting anything.

Clawhammer
08-27-2016, 08:08 PM
I emailed the supplier before creating this thread. This post will be taken down as soon as the issue is resolved, but this should have not been packed up and shipped to me. I have a 5" Colbalt that has the same size eye.

brewmaster15
08-27-2016, 08:37 PM
HI Eric,
You just received the fish today and it has ammonia burns from shipping and unpacking.Thats not fin rot. It will heal in a few days and is common. As for the "stunting "question. ...you just got the fish and they haven't even settled in yet and are stressed. You haven't even tried to work out things with the sponsor yet and are posting here about looking for feedback? . Its really not how to handle it and honestly....it comes across as you are trying to use this thread as leverage.That will not help the issue and may make things worse.
I emailed the supplier before creating this thread. This post will be taken down as soon as the issue is resolved, but this should have not been packed up and shipped to me. I have a 5" Colbalt that has the same size eye.

The best way to handle dissatisfaction with a fish order is in private initially. If you are unable to resolve it, then use the itrader and livestock review board to leave appropriate feedback.
I am locking this thread to give you and the seller an opportunity to work things out privately and fairly and because it is honestly unfair to the Seller at this point.

Thank you,
Al