PDA

View Full Version : Swimming off balance after water change

Aquaman6410
08-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Odd thing has happened twice now about a week apart. My one checkerboard swims off balance, head tilted down after food/water change. I've only had the 9 discus for about 2 weeks or so now from Hans. The first time it happened beford bed, I fed beefheart mix and did a water change. Saw symptoms and he appeared bloated. Added epsom salt to the tank and next morning he was fine. It now happened again. Fed beefheart, did water change and same discus. All others are fine. Added epsom salt and we will see. Doesn't look bloated tonight. Temp is at 86, discus are 3.5" and get daily water changes between 60 to 80%. They are growing out in my bare bottom 75 using tap water with prime. I have 3.5 ppm of chloramine but dose prime accordingly. Its very odd it was the same sequence of events and the same discus. Am I doing something weird or anything odd?

My beefheart mix is very green from spirulina, peas, and spinach in addition to beefheart, shrimp, tilapia. It was my first attempt and is very green in color. Could that be doing something? Too much fiber? Idk, only thing I can think of.

Jason.M
08-29-2016, 09:06 PM
What is the pH of your tap water? What is the pH of your tank water? Have you tested some of your tap water after letting a bucket of it age for 24 hours?

Aquaman6410
08-29-2016, 09:27 PM
7.6 out of tap and about 7.2 after 24 hours aging. I age all water 24 hrs before using. I treat with prime or safe as water is going into tank

Second Hand Pat
08-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Maybe reduce the amount you feed before the water change and see what happens. Overfeeding is really easy to do.
Pat