PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my blood pigeon?

alex97
08-30-2016, 12:45 AM
Yesterday ,all my discus seems normal ,no sign of stress and normal appetite.At night,suddenly one of my blood pigeon stay in corner bottom of tank.When i try to get close to the tank,he dart around to other side of the tank.I even saw him jump out of water ,thankfully no harm was done.Now he stays at top corner (breathing heavily) and rarely school with other discus.He still eating though when its feeding time.Other discus seems fine and active like usual.

I checked my water parameter and its all good : ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm

Also he is so easily spooked and dart around the tank. What seems to be the problem? it happenned so suddenly.For a second he is fine suddenly seems stressed

warblad79
08-30-2016, 01:23 AM
Go to disease section and fill out the form

Ryan925
08-30-2016, 08:46 AM
First thing everyone is going to ask you is how often are you doing a wc?

Akili
08-30-2016, 09:28 AM
I checked my water parameter and its all good : ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm

Do a large water change and try to bring nitrate level to 5 ppm.What is the pH of the tank and do you age your water?

alex97
08-30-2016, 10:10 AM
im doing 40% water change twice a week. Ph of my tap water (soft water)and my tank is 6,5 . But last week i checked ph of my tank rise around 7.Tested kh it is also rise.
It is a planted tank.

I noticed whenever i am far away from the tank they school together,but when i get close he dart away and stay in top corner.Did i traumatize him or something? He still accept my handfeeding though :p

Ryan925
08-30-2016, 10:15 AM
You probably should fill out the questionnaire in the disease section as recommended before. In order to get proper advice I assume people will need more info. Tank size, number of fish, size of fish, how long you've had them, etc, etc

Obvious start is increase in WCs. It's amazing what that can do

Akili
08-30-2016, 10:54 AM
im doing 40% water change twice a week. Ph of my tap water (soft water)and my tank is 6,5 . But last week i checked ph of my tank rise around 7.Tested kh it is also rise.
It is a planted tank.

I noticed whenever i am far away from the tank they school together,but when i get close he dart away and stay in top corner.Did i traumatize him or something? He still accept my hand feeding though :pThey may be darting because of lighting, make sure there is no light hitting the tank from the side.. they don't like shadows being cast on them. I have found lighting is very key in making them comfortable.Sometimes it is the dark clothing that one wears.Fluctuation of pH in a planted tank has to kept in mind.

MD.David
08-31-2016, 08:51 PM
Alex,
Your discus is feeling crappy, you must figure out what's causing it to properly treat.
I don't think it's lighting.

Yesterday ,all my discus seems normal ,no sign of stress and normal appetite.At night,suddenly one of my blood pigeon stay in corner bottom of tank.When i try to get close to the tank,he dart around to other side of the tank.I even saw him jump out of water ,thankfully no harm was done.Now he stays at top corner (breathing heavily) and rarely school with other discus.He still eating though when its feeding time.Other discus seems fine and active like usual.

Also he is so easily spooked and dart around the tank. What seems to be the problem? it happenned so suddenly.For a second he is fine suddenly seems stressed

alex97
09-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Alex,
Your discus is feeling crappy, you must figure out what's causing it to properly treat.
I don't think it's lighting.
He is better now david,even let me touch him when feeding or playing with them. Im not sure myself what cause him like that . He rarely stay in corner anymore
Maybe he just in a bad mood . Who knows? :p .

MD.David
09-04-2016, 07:59 PM
It's not uncommon for discus to throw a temper tantrum over something.
But I would keep a very close eye on how the fish behaves over the next month.
A ph swing up of .5 wouldn't do much, however have nitrate levels elevated might have just been enough stress to set him off in a tamtrum and snap an E string over it.
I have a wild that snaps from time to time, I turn all the lights off and he calms down in about 10mins, I had him for 2 years plus and he does it every month about 2 times if he doesn't get his food when he wants or other discus beat him out on the first few seconds of a feeding.
But again I would keep an eye on the flip out fish just to make sure it's not an illness stress thing.

Cheers mate!
:)

alex97
09-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Yesterday I rearranging my tank to make it barebottom and move him to another tank for 4-5 hours.When i put it back,he acts like it again (stay in corner wheniever im around the tank)
My friend wanna give me some discus. Is it safe to mix them?All my discus has already established pecking order.

Akili
09-09-2016, 09:06 AM
My friend wanna give me some discus. Is it safe to mix them?All my discus has already established pecking order.If you follow proper quarantine procedure.

alex97
09-09-2016, 09:12 AM
If you follow proper quarantine procedure.
Well,my friend said he already did it.I just dont want them to stress the newcomer

Akili
09-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Well,my friend said he already did it.I just don't want them to stress the newcomerOver the years I have learnt that no matter from whom the fish come from, never miss the quarantine procedure.