PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a used tank?

Doc Andrew
09-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Greetings all,

I am curious is a vinegar and water solution is enough to clean out a tank that I purchased second hand. I've seen a few posts about using bleach, but that seems a bit harsh to me.

I'm thankful for any tips or recommendations you can share with me. I want to go into my new 75 gal grow-out without any worries.

Thanks,
Andrew

Akili
09-02-2016, 06:03 PM
I use 9 cups of water to 1 cup of bleach to disinfect all my aquariums, let it dry for 24 hours after that wipe down with vinegar. Never had any problems in 40 years.

bluelagoon
09-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Vinegar will remove calcium/ring around the tank deposits and is a good anti-microbial.

Doc Andrew
09-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Vinegar will remove calcium/ring around the tank deposits and is a good anti-microbial.

Thank you :)

I use 9 cups of water to 1 cup of bleach to disinfect all my aquariums, let it dry for 24 hours after that wipe down with vinegar. Never had any problems in 40 years.

Great - I'll try that. Thanks!

LizStreithorst
09-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Yup, 10 to one water to bleach on the inside. CLR works better at removing hard water stains that vinegar on the outside.

Jack L
09-02-2016, 10:56 PM
limestain...
what i found to work well is soak a paper towel with vinegar, then lay it on the hard water stain area for a while. it completely and effortlessly dissolves it.

i just use bleach water if i'm worried about cooties....

MD.David
09-03-2016, 12:09 AM
Bleach and water works best to make it steril, however usually the hardest to get off is staining or calcium deposits, the best way inhale found is used 1200 grit wet sand paper.
I do know it sounds crazy, but the aquarium glass is many times harder then the sand paper thus it does NOT scratch the glass but does remove all deposits and stains.
Try a spot you won't believe the incredible job it does, everyone at my aquarium society uses this method now with great reviews and results.
After you clean with bleach and water and rinsed a bunch of times fill tank and put 10x's recommended De-chlorinator (ie:safe or prime), this will totally neutralize Any danger of the bleach, drain tank and wipe down, now your ready to use as totally aquatic safe tank.
I've been doing this regime for cleaning tanks for about 5 years with absolutely zero problems ever.

Greetings all,

I am curious is a vinegar and water solution is enough to clean out a tank that I purchased second hand. I've seen a few posts about using bleach, but that seems a bit harsh to me.

I'm thankful for any tips or recommendations you can share with me. I want to go into my new 75 gal grow-out without any worries.

Thanks,
Andrew

Jack L
09-03-2016, 11:21 AM
MD.David

curious, next time you have the need if you would try the vinegar soaked paper towel trick to see if it is easier.

i never tried sandpaper, but it tried CLR, scrubb pads, razors, and lots of elbow grease.

this last tank i bought i tried the paper towel soaked trick. i let it still for a while though. probably at least 30 mins, but it wiped off perfectly.

i got the idea by how people descale their shower heads by soaking in vinegar.

pitdogg2
09-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Mr.David,

There is really no need to waste all that prime or safe. Bleach will dissipate completely rinse and dry in the sun UV destroys chlorine. Chlorine is easily gassed out if you just fill with water and run good aeration.

MD.David
09-05-2016, 09:26 AM
I've tried that as well, I think I've tried every DYI out there, sand paper takes it all right off and fast.
After trying everything the sand paper by far is the superior solution to cleaning a tank with stains and mineral deposits.

MD.David

curious, next time you have the need if you would try the vinegar soaked paper towel trick to see if it is easier.

i never tried sandpaper, but it tried CLR, scrubb pads, razors, and lots of elbow grease.

this last tank i bought i tried the paper towel soaked trick. i let it still for a while though. probably at least 30 mins, but it wiped off perfectly.

i got the idea by how people descale their shower heads by soaking in vinegar.

MD.David
09-05-2016, 09:49 AM
It probably is, however; I rather be over kill in this department mate, rather then under kill.

Mr.David,

There is really no need to waste all that prime or safe. Bleach will dissipate completely rinse and dry in the sun UV destroys chlorine. Chlorine is easily gassed out if you just fill with water and run good aeration.

Jack L
09-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I've tried that as well, I think I've tried every DYI out there, sand paper takes it all right off and fast.
After trying everything the sand paper by far is the superior solution to cleaning a tank with stains and mineral deposits.

interesting. well i never thought of using sandpaper due to fear of glass scratches.

e.g. i stopped using those magnet glass cleaners that have the brillo side as when I got sand in there it scratched my glass all up.

LizStreithorst
09-05-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm so happy that you posted about the wet 1200 grit sand paper. I've used vinegar. I've used CLR. I've used them with scrubby pads. They help but they don't remove all the hard water stains. I use a lot of Magnum 250's. They have a tendency to drip sometimes. When they're in place for years you get some pretty tough stains. I'll buy the sand paper tomorrow.

Jack L
09-05-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm so happy that you posted about the wet 1200 grit sand paper. I've used vinegar. I've used CLR. I've used them with scrubby pads. They help but they don't remove all the hard water stains. I use a lot of Magnum 250's. They have a tendency to drip sometimes. When they're in place for years you get some pretty tough stains. I'll buy the sand paper tomorrow.

Liz, have you tried saturating a paper towel with vinegar and letting it set for a while on the hard water stain area to see if it dissolves it all after a while?

LizStreithorst
09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
If I had smaller tanks I could empty them and sit them on their sides and let them soak. I can't do this with my large tanks that have fish in them. I'm looking forward to giving the sand paper a try. I might use vinegar on the sand paper rather than water.

LizStreithorst
09-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Thank you MD David. I tried this today. My choices at my local hardware store did not include 1200 grit. They had all the course stuff but then went from 500 grit to 1500 grit. I got the 1500 or course so I had to use a bit more elbow grease that I would have otherwise. Still, It worked WONDERFULLY!!!!!! The stains on my tanks had been there for years from dripping Mangum's. I could feel them as I ran my fingers across the glass.

I used just water the first wipe and the difference was dramatic. The second time around I wet the sandpaper with CLR. The tanks are perfectly stain free now. I can actually see my Discus eggs on the cone! What a blessing. One 60 gallon tank down, 21 more tanks to go. Tomorrow when I go to the hardware store I'll buy more than one sheet of sandpaper lol.

MD.David
09-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I know it's crazy how it works, I came up with that concept when I was mad at scrubbing and the darn calcium deposits wouldn't come off, I grabbed some wet sand paper and have it ago, I discovered the glass was harder then the sand paper but the sand paper was scrubbing the stains off.
I have used 1000 grit too, but I think the 1200 works the best.
Glad I could help!
Everyone at my aquarium society in my city now uses my technique...lol
Maybe I should market it?

Cheers!
:)

Thank you MD David. I tried this today. My choices at my local hardware store did not include 1200 grit. They had all the course stuff but then went from 500 grit to 1500 grit. I got the 1500 or course so I had to use a bit more elbow grease that I would have otherwise. Still, It worked WONDERFULLY!!!!!! The stains on my tanks had been there for years from dripping Mangum's. I could feel them as I ran my fingers across the glass.

I used just water the first wipe and the difference was dramatic. The second time around I wet the sandpaper with CLR. The tanks are perfectly stain free now. I can actually see my Discus eggs on the cone! What a blessing. One 60 gallon tank down, 21 more tanks to go. Tomorrow when I go to the hardware store I'll buy more than one sheet of sandpaper lol.

Jack L
09-11-2016, 09:28 AM
i guess the sand in my substrate or the rocks that have scratched the glass are just harder/coarser.
i just found more scratches on my glass...ugg

i used the vinegar soak on a canopy, but on the sides it would be hard...

Kyla
09-17-2016, 11:01 AM
wow, i NEVER would have considered sand paper as a viable option! glad I read this post :)