PDA

View Full Version : How to sterilize filter hoses

Pices
09-05-2016, 02:42 PM
I see a lot of posts about how to sterilize tanks and I imagine filters are the same way, but what about filter hoses? Anybody have any tips on best way to sterilize? Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I just spent a lot of money on some discus and want to save myself grief by asking in advance.
I'm sterilizing a 75 gal tank system.
I think using a mild bleach and water solution would work on filer and hoses. Rinse really well and the little left in the hoses would be okay if I double up on the prime?
Thanks for your help! I start to get excited about my new arrivals-then nervous, then scared, then I go to SD and get excited again. I like that feeling the best. Thanks for your response(s). Currently feeling scared...

LizStreithorst
09-05-2016, 03:08 PM
just stick the airlines in the bleach solution and then in clean tap. Don't get stressed. You'll be fine.

Pices
09-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks! Getting excited again!

Filip
09-06-2016, 04:12 PM
I would add bleach or PP in the filled tank full of equipment with the filters running .
Next day 100 % wc , and let filter run for one more day befor i put the fish , in case of bleach .

Clawhammer
09-06-2016, 05:10 PM
I like using PP simply for the peace of mind. No pink color = no residual PP. A 10% bleach solution is perfectly safe though.

Pices
09-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Thanks! We like this idea the best and will do a 10% bleach solution-let it run 24 hour. Change 100% of water-let that run 24 hours- maybe do another water change (for me more than the fish ha) There are so many ways to do this and a lot at stake. I appreciate all the input from you pros. with your help, I may one day be showing off my own photos of happy healthy huge discus. whoo hooo! Thanks for being there for me!

Pices
09-07-2016, 07:54 AM
I like this idea, but having never used it I am unsure of the amount to use etc. I especially like the idea of knowing from the color for sure that there is no residual PP. That's the kind of confidence I need right now! Kenny mentioned it as well. He said he doesn't like bleach. Would I use it the same way as bleach? 10% run 24 hours then 100% water change? I've learned so much here, maybe it's time I learned about PP too! Thanks so much for your help Clawhammer. There are certain names that I see regularly here and yours is one of them. Thanks for helping me through this. I'd like to thank you by giving you 5 (now healthy) LFS discus free of charge! Just kidding, but if there are any newbies out there that are looking for some "free to a good home" discus. I have some stunted, peppered cuties pies for you!

Clawhammer
09-07-2016, 09:03 AM
PP is also a great medication for external parasites, gill flukes, and external bacteria/fungus, but should only be used after much study. There are some great threads on here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70066-Using-Potassium-Permanganate-aka-PP&highlight=potassium+permanganate

For use on fish you want to use enough PP to bring the tank to 2ppm for 4-6 hours, but for sanitizing I don't worry too much about being precise, I just use enough to make it purple and let it sit for a while.

I started off a couple months ago with 5 sick LFS discus as well and came out the other side, and I have no doubt you do as well. I am still a newbie for the most part, but the ordeal required me gain knowledge quickly. Still, there are many others on here whose advice should be heeded over mine! Good luck.

DISCUS STU
09-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Hi Patty,

Bleach will work for all of this. Sometimes I put together a bleach water, soap, combination to clean out my siphon hoses when they're also lined with black gunk and let sit for an hour or so.

Any parasites that survive most of this or any of the above the mentioned methods would probably be tougher than Sigourney Weaver's Aliens.

Filip
09-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Just make sure to clean thoroughly or replace the filter materials and the bottom / substrate (if you have any ) prior the sterilisation .

William1
09-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Or just buy new filter hoses at any hardware store for a couple bucks. Measure your inside diameter and your run. Usually 5/8". Start fresh and get rid of those yucky old hoses. I'd be willing to bet it won't cost you six dollars. No worries.

DISCUS STU
09-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Or just buy new filter hoses at any hardware store for a couple bucks. Measure your inside diameter and your run. Usually 5/8". Start fresh and get rid of those yucky old hoses. I'd be willing to bet it won't cost you six dollars. No worries.

+1

Pices
09-09-2016, 04:16 PM
You guys are full of great idea! Problem solved! Thanks!