PDA

View Full Version : Wild Discus

guggas
09-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Are wild discus harder to keep than domestics? Do wilds need basically the same care as domestics or is it another ballgame?

MD.David
09-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Pardon the expression:
But, they are pretty much the "same kettle of fish".
Depends on your definition of keeping, breeding can require lower ph, but not always.
I keeps wilds and domestics together same ph and everything.
Ph 7.5-8.0 tds:110-135
Straight tap water aged 16-20hrs
Temp:83

Phillydubs
09-07-2016, 02:16 PM
In my opinion and experience I do things the same, if anything, I feel the wilds are almost easier and require slightly less WC...

Those who keep heckles or other wilds will tamper with the PH and acid levels of the water... I have wild reds as well as a tank of domestics and wild crosses. They both get my 24hr aged tap and some prime... I do a 50% WC every 2 days...

guggas
09-07-2016, 02:30 PM
I really like wild red discus. They seem pretty tricky to find though.

Phillydubs
09-07-2016, 02:44 PM
I don't know what region of reds you desire. John aka snookn of fresh water tripicals has some nhumunda reds in stock now. You can find him on the sponsor section and reach out to him. I purchased my reds from John

DISCUS STU
09-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I keep both but find that the Wilds are more sensitive to poor water conditions than the domestics. A good argument for always doing your tank maintenance and water changes. I've also experienced the "mad dashing", smashing into the sides, spinning, whirling, etc., "Mad Discus Disease" much more frequently with Wilds as opposed to Domestics.

It's only a thought but the domestics being the result of being raised in captivity without always having the benefit of perfect water quality and other related factors are probably the result of the "Survival of the Fittest". Meaning that the hardier, more adaptable Wilds and their offspring became the basis for the domestic stock we have today. Again only my idea.