PDA

View Full Version : ABBJOLOG tank instead of BB tank

pascal
09-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Has anyone some experience with ABBJOLOG tank (Almost Bare Bottom Just One Layer Of Gravel tank) instead of BB tank. (I'm always struggling with abbreviations, now it's your turn (LOL)).

I was always hesitating on the advantage of BB tanks, the fact that pathogen microorganisms can accumulate etc... Finally, based on the experience of many people, I decided to apply it on my discus tank. I transformed my aquarium into a 'swimming pool for fish'.

For altums, it is better to have a small layer of gravel since dirt on a BB tank can create infections on the fins that are touching the bottom. So in my altum tank I have a quasi monolayer of gravel. I cleaned it for the first time since 2 years and almost no mulm was present (I hate the word dirt, it is more than that, a beautiful microworld helping in keeping everything in balance).

Since I applied a BB tank, colors of some fish have changed. Bottom is in wood color and the tank is integrated in the cabinet, so I can't put a bright color. Will some gravel on the bottom be close to BB or rather full gravel bottom configuration?

Phillydubs
09-13-2016, 02:33 PM
ABBJOLG!!! Hahaha, love it! Thats a long one!

I have sort of come to this method in a round about way...

I have had BB tanks in the past but I do not currently. In my recent set-ups because they are office display tanks I have opted for a substrate. I have a larger river rock sort of substrate that I started too heavy with and have since over time and with each water changed removed more and more rock until I now have something like what you speak of. I really make sure to push the rocks around and get all over them with my siphon... BB is much easier to clean and easy to target dirty spots but I just love this look...

On my wild tank its just a super thin layer of PFS

Ryan925
09-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Do you mean other than a thin layer of sand?

I switched from gravel to sand. I vac'd my gravel thoroughly several times a week. Got to the point where I saw very little debris getting sucked up. When I removed the gravel I found boy was I wrong.

Filip
09-13-2016, 05:57 PM
IME , even only 1 inch of PFS - sand, traps debris / mulm very quickly and effectivelly and bothers discus well being and health.
You wil have to mix the sand deeply and thoroughly with your hands prior every WC in order to keep it clean . Substrate is even worse for catching debris.
So go with what you like best but be aware that there is significant diference in water quality as well as with the level of maintenance between theese two options.