PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter Setup Question.

hdhong
09-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Hello All,

Just want to get everyone opinion to what media to put in the canister filter? I was told not to use carbon in discus tank for filtration, so what's the best way to setup canister filter for discus tank?

Thanks
Hai

Ryan925
09-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Bio bio and more bio. Use a prefilter on intake

Purigen is also great

sharis
09-14-2016, 01:13 PM
hdhong below is a great video from PondGuru, I watched it when I setup my Canister ... hope it helps u too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrUlHTW5Zo

hdhong
09-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Thank you Sharis and Ryan925!

Ryan925
09-14-2016, 10:12 PM
Thank you Sharis and Ryan925!

I'm running an eheim pro 4+. I use the eheim substrat pro bio media, seachem matrix and a bag of purigen. I removed the filter sponges in the filter and use an eheim pre filter on my intake.

The great thing about canisters is the ability to customize for your particular needs. Just be sure to stay up on the maintenance and keep it clean

hdhong
09-15-2016, 07:37 AM
Thank you Ryan925. I was reading up on the seachem matrix not too long ago, but wasn't sure if I want to use that or not. I will definitely get some of those since a lot of people like them. How often do you have to regenerate the purigen? Do you do like the seachem direction?

"REGENERATION: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of PrimeŽ, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of buffer per cup of water (Discus BufferŽ, Neutral RegulatorŽ). Original color and full activity should now be restored and PurigenŽ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul PurigenŽ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit."

How often do you clean your filter and how do you have your media as well as sponge, and ect... stacked inside your canister filter?

Thanks
Hai

Ryan925
09-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Thank you Ryan925. I was reading up on the seachem matrix not too long ago, but wasn't sure if I want to use that or not. I will definitely get some of those since a lot of people like them. How often do you have to regenerate the purigen? Do you do like the seachem direction?

"REGENERATION: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of PrimeŽ, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of buffer per cup of water (Discus BufferŽ, Neutral RegulatorŽ). Original color and full activity should now be restored and PurigenŽ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul PurigenŽ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit."

How often do you clean your filter and how do you have your media as well as sponge, and ect... stacked inside your canister filter?

Thanks
Hai

Hi Hai

As far as purigen goes I do not regenerate. Once it has been used up I just toss and replace. It lasts much longer now that my tank isn't heavily planted. I have read a lot of people that do regenerate and seems to works just fine.

As far as canister setup I removed the foam from the filter. I do have a coarse foam at the top but only because my filter has a tray for it that nothing else can really go in. My filter however has a knob I can open to bypass this tray. I leave the bypas open so this coarse foam collects very little.

I clean my intake prefilter sponges with each wc. The canister I try and clean weekly or at least every other week.

I read a lot of people that say canisters take too long to clean. Literally takes minutes. I hose out foam with tap water. I rinse my bio trays in a bucket of tank water then wipe out canister. Simple. Do it while water is draining and its easy

hdhong
09-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Hi Hai

As far as purigen goes I do not regenerate. Once it has been used up I just toss and replace. It lasts much longer now that my tank isn't heavily planted. I have read a lot of people that do regenerate and seems to works just fine.

As far as canister setup I removed the foam from the filter. I do have a coarse foam at the top but only because my filter has a tray for it that nothing else can really go in. My filter however has a knob I can open to bypass this tray. I leave the bypas open so this coarse foam collects very little.

I clean my intake prefilter sponges with each wc. The canister I try and clean weekly or at least every other week.

I read a lot of people that say canisters take too long to clean. Literally takes minutes. I hose out foam with tap water. I rinse my bio trays in a bucket of tank water then wipe out canister. Simple. Do it while water is draining and its easy

Thanks Ryan925.

bluelagoon
09-15-2016, 12:02 PM
I have a FX6 with sponges and removed the ceramic rings and put cheap scrubbies in from the dollar store. Cleaned approx. every 5- 6 weeks.