PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy discus!

asteve70
09-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and am starting a 65g tall tank with discus. My question is finding a good place to buy. I came across a site and the prices are pretty good compared to others I've seen. The site is: somethingsphishy.com. Is anyone familiar with them? are they reliable?

Ryan925
09-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Go to the sponsor area here. Order from one of the SD sponsors. You can't go wrong. I think there are a couple different somethinphishy from what I've read here and if I recall one was good one was a no-no but don't quote me on that.

Phillydubs
09-14-2016, 11:37 PM
Sponsor page here for sure... Chockfull of the best discus around !

warblad79
09-15-2016, 12:30 AM
Oh NO! Don't do it

camthi609
09-15-2016, 03:47 AM
Don't be fooled by their (somethingphishy) prices! These are the people who buys in bulk instead of quality speciments and you are taking your chances of odd balls and culls, I've dealt w/them in the past so I know, would not want to return or recommend. Major no no! Pick from our sponsors list here and you even get to see the actual fish you will be getting upon request, can't go wrong. Best!

brewmaster15
09-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Steve, where are you located? if you can hook up with a vendor near you it may be best as you are new to this. If not , try our sponsors, these sellers have a proven track record here and they ship.

hth,
al

asteve70
09-15-2016, 04:46 PM
To camthi609: Thanks for letting me know about them. I appreciate the feedback (from all of you).

To brewmaster15: I live in Summerville South Carolina and I have yet to a good place here.

Ryan925
09-15-2016, 05:04 PM
To camthi609: Thanks for letting me know about them. I appreciate the feedback (from all of you).

To brewmaster15: I live in Summerville South Carolina and I have yet to a good place here.

Don't buy from an lfs. The sponsors here will ship to you.

If you were to look in the emergency room forum you will find a lot of the posts are from people that but from lfs. Do yourself a huge favor and start with quality stock

Discus-n00b
09-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Welcome! As you already stated and know, SC is quite void of fish hobbyist in general. As others have said, the sponsor section on the forum is your best bet. Have them shipped in, or If you are looking for close enough to drive and choose out of those, Eric of Carolina Discus not to far over the NC border and may be your best bet. He's a great guy with great fish. Ryan of First Coast Discus is a bit further, just north of Daytona if you feel like driving south instead. The other sponsors are all more road trip time frame but have equally nice discus and selection. They all can ship.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

pastry
09-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Welcome! As you already stated and know, SC is quite void of fish hobbyist in general. As others have said, the sponsor section on the forum is your best bet. Have them shipped in, or If you are looking for close enough to drive and choose out of those, Eric of Carolina Discus not to far over the NC border and may be your best bet. He's a great guy with great fish. Ryan of First Coast Discus is a bit further, just north of Daytona if you feel like driving south instead. The other sponsors are all more road trip time frame but have equally nice discus and selection. They all can ship.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

+1. I'm in Charleston and Matt is spot on. I use Kenny and Eric but any of the sponsors on here are the way to go. Only takes one time to screw up and buy from LFS. I like tideline but not for discus (personal preference). Good folks there but discus-wise I wish they ordered from a sponsor here, lowered the price, and changed the water a lot more for their discus tank.

Bc chick
09-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Don't buy from an lfs. The sponsors here will ship to you.

If you were to look in the emergency room forum you will find a lot of the posts are from people that but from lfs. Do yourself a huge favor and start with quality stock

i couldnt agree more steve. spend alot of time in the emergency room. not only do you see what happens with lfs purchases, you also quickly see there are alot of similarities as to why people are there. you learn what to watch for in your discus and some quick remedies. please dont listen to the lfs as they dont have experience in keeping discus and they lead you in the wrong direction. i would always go by the advice of the old timers here who know what they are doing (this is not me). this is a really good link

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?125704-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

there a really good video in the beginners section with brewmaster doing a lecture. it has a ton of information all wrapped into one spot.

DISCUS STU
09-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and am starting a 65g tall tank with discus. My question is finding a good place to buy. I came across a site and the prices are pretty good compared to others I've seen. The site is: somethingsphishy.com. Is anyone familiar with them? are they reliable?

A thousand times NO! DO NOT BUY FROM HERE! I fell for the okey doke of seeing nice pictures on their website at decent prices and received about six, small sickly stunted fish that needed medication the day they came in. Four died, two of them I eventually gave away to a lfs. This is a common story with many of those that have reported experience with this vendor.

I tried to challenge the sale with my credit card carrier but this guy was way ahead of me, probably because he has a lot of experience here, and wasn't able to. Bottom line, I ended up paying for this plus handling for fish I wouldn't take if you gave them to me.

Buy from the sponsors or someone that has a good reputation I also buy from Jack Wattley and Discus Madness (right here in my home state of NJ where I can see my fish).