PDA

View Full Version : Angels

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Hi all I've been getting ready to get some Discus for sometime time now and doing tons or reading. Before I pull the trigger and get them I figured I would try my hand at Angelfish. Long story short this did not go well within 3 days all 6 Angelfish had died. The Angels Fins clamped shortly after putting them in the tank and over the course of the three days one by one an Angel would break from the pack swim at the top of the tank and drift around breathing heavy and die with in a few hours. Temp is at 80, PH 6.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrate and nitrite were under 20 and 0, and Kh and Gh were good. Any ideas on a illness that could have killed them so fast?

Akili
09-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Did you acclimatize the fish when they came in? What pH were they kept in originally? What was the pH of the water that the fish came in? and Is the tank cycled?

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 09:50 AM
pH conditions are the same. Tank is cycled plus I added some BB from the bottle once problems became evident plus added some stress coat. I acclimated them by hanging the bag in the tank for 20 min to match temp. Also at least four had very fine white or clearish "string" coming out of the anus. Almost looked like thin fishing line.

Akili
09-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Stringy, white excrement is usually indicative of an internal parasite but it could have been caused by the stress of moving too.All the 6 Angelfish had died in three days could have been that they did not adjust to water parameters in my honest opinion.Floating the bag only adjusts the temperature.A drip method is the best way for fish to acclimatize to tank water. Best described here................ http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157

DJW
09-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Were they shipped, or did you buy them locally?
The ammonia, nitrite & nitrate... at what point did you measure these, before adding fish or later?

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Took measurement before and once a day after
I got the fish locally

NeonTetra
09-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Did you clean the tank and how? Maybe there was remains of something in the tank?

LizStreithorst
09-15-2016, 02:43 PM
The nitrate should have been lower but that's not what killed the fish in 3 day's time. Going to the top and breathing heavily can be a sign of a few couple of things. You did use declorinator, right? Do you have plenty of air? There needs to be surface agitation of the water to be oxygenated. Those are the only things I can think right now.

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 04:47 PM
I have two 125 gal sponge filters and a aqua clear 110 HOB filter. The Hob pores into a baffle with holes drilled into the bottom to slow water flow. I did use a de-clorinator. The store replace the 6 so I using the acclimation as laid out above and see what happens. The Nitrate test i am using is the "dip stick" type. It changes color a little so all i know for sure is it is below 20
Also thanks so much for everyone who has put thought into this. I hope this group does better I hate to see the little guys die.

LizStreithorst
09-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Good luck. Let us know. The dead fish appeared healthy when you bought them, right?

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Yes, They swam mid tank level and seemed active. I do have Rams in the tank but bought them at the same time and they were in the same water system as the Angels separated by a partition that allowed the water to flow freely between the two sides. Angles are from a local breeder and sold on consignment at the dreaded LFS.

DJW
09-15-2016, 05:37 PM
So you just got more angels along with some new rams... or you had rams before and only the angels died?

Neptune
09-15-2016, 06:50 PM
So you just got more angels along with some new rams... or you had rams before and only the angels died?

Good question. Rams should go long before the angels!

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 08:05 PM
That is what i thought. I got the rams at the same time i got the first group of angels. Rams are doing great. Already coming to the front as soon as i walk in the room. They are super fun to watch. Full of personality.

LizStreithorst
09-15-2016, 08:21 PM
I suggest that you buy your Angels somewhere else. Rams are the canaries in the coal mine. I can't imagine the Angels croaking before the rams if it was a water quality issue.

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 08:24 PM
I took the free replacements today if they fail I wont get anymore from his local breeder.

Patrick@1
09-15-2016, 08:26 PM
I took the replacements. If they fail I'll find someone else to get them. not the local breeder

Akili
09-15-2016, 09:39 PM
I took the replacements. If they fail I'll find someone else to get them. not the local breederHopefully you have success with this lot.

Patrick@1
09-17-2016, 10:01 AM
The new Angels seem to be doing good it has been about two days and they are eating and swimming and not hold there fins clamped. Another question. I have the 6 Angels and 3 German Blues. Could I add some Orange Shoulder Sevrums? Would 6 juveniles be to many? Would also like to add three or four more Rams. Tank is 125gal with two 125 sponge filters and a 110 aqua clear HOB filter.

Patrick@1
09-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Any on with thought on the last question?

Second Hand Pat
09-22-2016, 09:03 AM
First, you should not add fish without QTing any new fish. What are your goals? I thought the angels were practice prior to getting discus or are you just considering a community tank at this point?
Pat

Patrick@1
09-22-2016, 09:11 AM
The goal is to have fun until I take the dive into discus. Just trying to add a little variety. I will follow proper qting practices.