PDA

View Full Version : K1 filter media question

Doc Andrew
09-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Greetings again, SD.

Regarding K1 media:

I just finished a DIY K1 biofilter. However, the K1 is floating at the top of the jug. Not a lot of whirling action. Is this to be expected as there might be air bubbles in the media? Will it settle over time?

Also.... I used industrial strength 2-sided tape to adhere the bottle cap to the rock. Is there a toxicity issue with this? Should I go get some silicone?

Thanks,
Andy

Oh - I'll be starting a journal on this 75 gal setup come Oct/Nov, btw.

pitdogg2
09-15-2016, 12:57 PM
I used industrial strength 2-sided tape to adhere the bottle cap to the rock.

And you expected that to last how long? would not of been my choice. I would of just used another sponge to be honest.

tvo
09-15-2016, 01:04 PM
If this is a brand new K1 media then they'll need some time to build up the bio bacterial film (become cycled) that help them moving around. A stronger air pump may help too.

Doc Andrew
09-15-2016, 01:07 PM
And you expected that to last how long? would not of been my choice. I would of just used another sponge to be honest.

Adhesive already failed... lol. Silicone it is. I didn't expect it to last, but I didn't have anything else on hand and wanted to get this going to see how it worked. Thanks though.

Doc Andrew
09-15-2016, 01:32 PM
If this is a brand new K1 media then they'll need some time to build up the bio bacterial film (become cycled) that help them moving around. A stronger air pump may help too.

Excellent. Thank you.

Altum Nut
09-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Adhesive already failed... lol. Silicone it is. I didn't expect it to last, but I didn't have anything else on hand and wanted to get this going to see how it worked. Thanks though.

Hello Andrew...One of our Simply Discus sponsors made a nice vid step-by-step that may help you...you can even dance to the music...Lol.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98431-Crystal-Clear&highlight=k1+media
Hope it helps you out...

...Ralph

gunnerschh2
09-15-2016, 04:51 PM
GET A SUCTION CUP WITH A ROUND HOLE & USE ZIP TIES AROUND BOTTLE & IT WILL HOLD IT TO THE SIDE OF YHE TANK. harry

Doc Andrew
09-15-2016, 06:59 PM
GET A SUCTION CUP WITH A ROUND HOLE & USE ZIP TIES AROUND BOTTLE & IT WILL HOLD IT TO THE SIDE OF YHE TANK. harry

Thanks, Harry. I will give this consideration.

Hello Andrew...One of our Simply Discus sponsors made a nice vid step-by-step that may help you...you can even dance to the music...Lol.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98431-Crystal-Clear&highlight=k1+media
Hope it helps you out...

...Ralph

Thanks, Ralph. Lovely video, good music :)