PDA

View Full Version : New Fry Finding Their Parents

Discuschill
09-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Our Apricot Rainbow and Sunshine Gold discus are starting their family!!! Happy!!! :D

https://youtu.be/_2FsHPSkvlo

MD.David
09-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Such a beautiful thing so see.
When I use MB I get zero fungus, but if all the fry made it then no worries!
Cheers mate!

DISCUS STU
09-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Always a nice sight to see and that the fry are not getting "lost" and failing to attach.

The use of an off white background is also a good idea as the fry are looking for a dark area, presumably their parents, to attach to and can get confused and attach and try to feed from almost any dark area in the immediate area.

Discuschill
09-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Such a beautiful thing so see.
When I use MB I get zero fungus, but if all the fry made it then no worries!
Cheers mate!

Thanks David!! We have used MB before, but thought we'd let these guys wing it.

BTW the free swimmers had such a hard time finding the light colored parents that we transferred the fry into a tank with Yellow Faced Red Melons who also had free swimmers. They attached immediately. It's funny that that the Apricot Rainbow and Sunshine Gold do not color up to help the fry attach.

Discuschill
09-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Always a nice sight to see and that the fry are not getting "lost" and failing to attach.

The use of an off white background is also a good idea as the fry are looking for a dark area, presumably their parents, to attach to and can get confused and attach and try to feed from almost any dark area in the immediate area.

Thanks so much, Stu. It's so funny you say that, because these fry unfortunately had such a hard time finding their parents after all, that we had to use a turkey baster and move them in with a pair that had free swimmers as well. The Apricot Rainbow and Sunshine Gold actually do not color up when they are breeding, so the fry cannot find them effectively.

Yes, we use a corrugated plastic sheet with lots of small holes that we cut to size, as a divider with all our breeders to aid in the fry attaching. It does really help. :)

DISCUS STU
09-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks so much, Stu. It's so funny you say that, because these fry unfortunately had such a hard time finding their parents after all, that we had to use a turkey baster and move them in with a pair that had free swimmers as well. The Apricot Rainbow and Sunshine Gold actually do not color up when they are breeding, so the fry cannot find them effectively.

Yes, we use a corrugated plastic sheet with lots of small holes that we cut to size, as a divider with all our breeders to aid in the fry attaching. It does really help. :)

The lack of "coloring up" has always been a question for me with light colored Pigeon Bloods as I've never bred light colored Pigeon Bloods, though in the video the fry appear to be doing this unaided.

I've had various hatches were the fry wandered away from the "mother ship" and died as they attached themselves to algaed parts of the breeding cones and other dark areas in the fry other than their parents.

Discuschill
09-19-2016, 04:57 PM
The lack of "coloring up" has always been a question for me with light colored Pigeon Bloods as I've never bred light colored Pigeon Bloods, though in the video the fry appear to be doing this unaided.

I've had various hatches were the fry wandered away from the "mother ship" and died as they attached themselves to algaed parts of the breeding cones and other dark areas in the fry other than their parents.

Yes, it's just amazing what can happen. You're not going to believe this, but we had fry on Vertical Green Tigers that actually swam through a separator in a forty gallon tank with about 1/2 inch holes to the two Golden Checkerboards next door. They attached, and now they are caring for them! Breeding is such a tricky business, isn't it? But we don't stop trying because its' so much fun. Go figure! :)

Kathy

warblad79
09-19-2016, 05:04 PM
I love watching it when fry move back and forth between parents. I produced few batches but I never get tired watching it

Discuschill
09-20-2016, 04:07 PM
I love watching it when fry move back and forth between parents. I produced few batches but I never get tired watching it

So true!!! Me too.

DISCUS STU
09-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Yes, it's just amazing what can happen. You're not going to believe this, but we had fry on Vertical Green Tigers that actually swam through a separator in a forty gallon tank with about 1/2 inch holes to the two Golden Checkerboards next door. They attached, and now they are caring for them! Breeding is such a tricky business, isn't it? But we don't stop trying because its' so much fun. Go figure! :)

Kathy

Is a Vertical Green Tiger a type of Discus?

Discuschill
09-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Is a Vertical Green Tiger a type of Discus?

Yes, it is.

DISCUS STU
09-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Yes, it is.

Interesting, all kinds of names.