PDA

View Full Version : Premium quality discus

poolplayer
09-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Hello.
Still new to discus and any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if discus are sold in quality levels?? Can you buy "premium" "super colored" "grade A" or other quality colored fish?? If I buy a checkerboard pigeon is there a way that I can ensure I'm buying the brightest colored fish by buying a premium grade of any sort?? I figure if I'm spending a ton of money on fish then I may as well spend a bit more to get the brightest colored and most defined colors of that strain.

pastry
09-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Hello.
Still new to discus and any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if discus are sold in quality levels?? Can you buy "premium" "super colored" "grade A" or other quality colored fish?? If I buy a checkerboard pigeon is there a way that I can ensure I'm buying the brightest colored fish by buying a premium grade of any sort?? I figure if I'm spending a ton of money on fish then I may as well spend a bit more to get the brightest colored and most defined colors of that strain.

Look through Kenny's past shipments and tell him what you're hoping to get. Him and Forrest will try to get it for you. Other sponsors are great too but I see a larger menu with them and top notch customer service. I swear I'm not stalking every thread you have by the way!

poolplayer
09-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Lol!! Thanks Elliot.

LizStreithorst
09-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Top quality Discus cost a lot of money. Spending a ton of money does not necessarily means that you will receive top quality fish. I suggest that you educate your eye to spot top quality when you see it before you buy.

I'm crazy about quality. I've gone years buying nothing because no fish met my snobby standards. I'm a bit unusual in this regard.

poolplayer
09-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately I'm limited to buying online and it's rare that I've found a "what you see is what you get" other than breeding pairs. I was hoping to be able to buy premium colored fish to guarantee I get the brightest and most vibrant of the strain.

Ryan925
09-17-2016, 08:09 PM
Yes you will see Kenny and others post in their shipments fish that are grade AA, show quality etc.

Obviously there are no guarantees

poolplayer
09-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Ok. Thank you!

LizStreithorst
09-17-2016, 08:57 PM
If you want color, tell the importer that you are looking for color. Color is a large consideration but it is far from far from the biggest consolidation when you're looking for top quality.

Larry Bugg
09-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Lots of people will tell you to buy from this sponsor or that sponsor but you really won't go wrong buying from any one of the Sponsors here on Simply. I've bought discus from nearly all of them and I can tell you that they all offer excellent discus, they all do a great job shipping the fish and each and every one of them have great customer service. Give any one of them a call and talk about what you want. They will all take the time to make sure you are satisfied.

poolplayer
09-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Excellent! Thank you!

nicole5085
09-18-2016, 10:35 PM
I have had previous experience with Kenny and I highly recommend him. Not only will he stir you the right way into choosing the right discus but if you need help when they have any issues he will only be a phone call away.

DISCUS STU
09-19-2016, 09:59 AM
I think on the wholesale level the fish may be rated this way as in a,b,c, but it is difficult to get good fish online unless someone can vouch for the seller / importer. The sponsors here are regarded as reputable and this is a good way to start.

Though you can only buy online as suggested earlier it is a good idea to educate yourself regarding desirable qualities to raise your own from juveniles.

Discus "R" US
09-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Hello.

Hey Jeremy

Welcome to the Simply Discus Family. All of us Sponsors are always here to help everyone on the forum. We are a tight nit group. Feel free to message, call 732-606-7499, or email me discsus@gmail.com at any time with any questions that may arrise. Any of us would be glad to make your experiences on simply enjoyable.

James

poolplayer
09-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Hey Jeremy

Welcome to the Simply Discus Family. All of us Sponsors are always here to help everyone on the forum. We are a tight nit group. Feel free to message, call 732-606-7499, or email me discsus@gmail.com at any time with any questions that may arrise. Any of us would be glad to make your experiences on simply enjoyable.

James

Excellent! Thank you James!

William1
09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Buy quality fish from the start. Ask one in the tight knit group to steer you in the right direction.
Cheers, BK

amghammers69
09-22-2016, 05:49 PM
A great place to get high quality discis is discusrus from James Perrenod.

LizStreithorst
09-22-2016, 06:04 PM
I have a favorite importer, but I know what I yearn for when I see it. I guess my needs are too specific for me to buy from the other sponsors here.

My advice to the OP is to buy from the sponsor whose fish most ring his bell. If he stays in Discus long enough he might develop an eye for quality. It took me years.

warblad79
09-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Most breeders won't sell their best quality discus. They'll keep it for future breeding If I were you I would just buy the regular grade and breed it then pick the best quality in the group.