PDA

View Full Version : Detecting stray voltage??

poolplayer
09-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Hello everyone.

How do all of you detect stray voltage or prevent it from affecting the fish?? I've seen grounding probes and I'm questioning the necessity. I'm setting up a huge tank that will need several heaters and we all know heaters can crack, malfunction, or accidently fully submerge without us catching it right away. Does anyone use a grounding probe or other means of preventing issues with stray voltage??

Thanks.

pitdogg2
09-19-2016, 07:15 PM
I use titanium ground probes in all my tanks. If you have a small cut on your hand or arm and you feel a small tingling feeling that would be stray voltage. In low mineral tanks like most keep Discus in it can take more voltage but in say salt and African cichlid tank it can wallop you good. I once watched a guy reach in after a cracked and bubbling heater yep that made me laugh good. I couldn't speak fast enough to stop it. I think he wet himself lol.

DJW
09-19-2016, 07:32 PM
Here is something to read:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4090805&postcount=18

poolplayer
09-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Lol!! Yeah my 420 gallon tank was a reef tank and I've felt the tingle more than once:) I regularly have dry skin and hangnails so I could always tell right away if something was leaking some voltage. I guess I'll go ahead with a titanium probe when this tank is ready to go.

Thank you!

poolplayer
09-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much DJW!! That was an excellent read!! Jdieck always seems to have excellent posts on RC.