PDA

View Full Version : Ready to add discus?

Discusaurus
09-19-2016, 07:36 PM
We're wanting to add either a pair or a group of discus to our tank, but here is our situation:

Our tank is a 65 gallon with bare-bottom (with the exception of a few larger stones), a large wood structure with tall, fake plants throughout. We run over-sized sponge filtration, a bio-wheel filter with mechanical floss/added peat pouch for water softness, and run 84 degrees. Ph is a steady 7.0. Our additives include Neutral Regulator(in small amounts), Prime, and bacteria. We were changing 50-90% of the water with “aged” (aerated, temperature controlled) water daily which we can resume for our discus. We are currently doing roughly 30% every two or three days.

We have a handful of old fish from a past tank - a few small tetras, four glass catfish, 6 kuhlis, 3 false julii corys, and a female albino bristlenose pleco. These fish have all been treated with Clout and PraziPro as a preventative.

We're experienced fishkeepers who've successfully kept discus in the past. Our first group we raised in a 55 gallon aquarium with a bunch of other fish with substrate, and they got about 4-4 ˝ inches long. Eventually, they went to a local long-time enthusiast who said, “You did pretty well for a first try”. Several months ago, we purchased some discus from a LFS (the same from whom we purchased our first group). There were several red flags in conversation with the salesperson, but we were wooed, against our better judgment, to purchase some of their young, house-bred discus at a lesser price in an attempt to grow them out and pair them off. (They were only 1 ˝ – 2 inches). Once we got the discus home under our tank light, we noticed that they were thinner-bodied than we'd initially thought. There was bullying throughout the group of 6, but that's not that abnormal. We tried target feeding reclusive fish who weren't readily eating. But, the discus individually died over the course of about a month. We lost not one other fish in our tank. To the contrary, the other fish are flourishing.

So, this leads us to our questions:

1. We feel like the discus we lost were undernourished, undersized, etc. We've also since read that that size discus is still considered fry. Does what we did sound correct in their care, or did we make some mistakes (other than purchasing small discus from a LFS)?
2. After the tank has been running, without the discus, for 5-6 months, would it be considered quarantined? Or, do we need to consider sterilizing everything in the tank?
3. Should the tank be fallow for a period of time before adding discus?
4. Should we move out all or some of the other fish?
5. Can we get 2-3 large discus without issue, or do adults need to be added in groups, also?

Filip
09-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Hi Discusaurus and welcome to the forum .

Here are my thoughts on your questions.

1. Discus are more delicate fish to keep than any other freshwaters cause they require much cleaner and fresh water than other freshwaters to thrive.
Fry are far more delicate and advanced discus keeping skill than keeping an adults .
Possible mistakes IMO are No1 . cross contamination issues , since you have put them with other fish and also number 2 . possible not sufficient water quality , since i guess this was a substrate tank with decor and plants , and you didnt change more than 50 % daily as its ussualy required minimum in raising fry .

2. The best way to start is completly sterilized and fresh without any other fish or plant . Otherwise you are risking cross contamination issues , as mentioned above in No1 .
3. After you sterilize and start the tank its advisable to cycle it with botteled ammonia (fishless cycle) for about a month before you get your new discus in it .
4. All fresh and new . Otherwise you are risking cross contamination .
And dont worry , once discus acclimate and grew a little (after a couple of months ) you can introduce other fish , but only with a proper quarrantine procedure , described here on Forum .
5. 5-6 is considered minimal number for discus to feel safe and to assure they wont chase one other to death - i.e. hierarchy issues .

hope this doesent scares you away from keeping discus . As you allready know they are very rewarding and interesting fish to keep and they are worth a bit of extra effort .

warblad79
09-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Don't underestimate discus because they on different a level of care even for experienced keeper.

warblad79
09-19-2016, 10:31 PM
4"-41/2 discus are small and I considered them stunted. No offense but I'm just stating the fact

Discusaurus
09-19-2016, 11:08 PM
Thanks for being willing to respond to a new member of this forum. Perhaps I was unclear in explaining our experience, our understanding of our previous experience, and our current tank build, so I'll clarify:

As stated above:

Our tank is a 65 gallon with bare-bottom (with the exception of a few larger stones), a large wood structure with tall, fake plants throughout. We run over-sized sponge filtration, a bio-wheel filter with mechanical floss/added peat pouch for water softness, and run 84 degrees. Ph is a steady 7.0. Our additives include Neutral Regulator(in small amounts), Prime, and bacteria. We were changing 50-90% of the water with “aged” (aerated, temperature controlled) water daily which we can resume for our discus. We are currently doing roughly 30% every two or three days.

We know the faults of our first experience and also are aware that the discus were stunted. We also know they were stunted when we purchased them. We aren't seeking approval nor criticism of that first bunch of discus we kept over a decade ago. We're merely trying to find out if, after 5-6 months of only a few small fish in our well-maintained, over-filtered 65 gallon aquarium, we can add discus. And, if we can keep our few small fish in the tank or should move them out. Also, to clarify one of the answers we received, are you saying we should add 6+ like-sized discus at a time regardless of the size of the discus?

Ryan925
09-20-2016, 12:07 AM
4"-41/2 discus are small and I considered them stunted. No offense but I'm just stating the fact

How can you say they were stunted without ever seeing them. They never said how old these 4"-4.5" fish were, how long they had them etc...

I'm pretty sure they are looking for advice and not just to be scolded.

I think the main question is can discus added to this well maintained tank. I'm far from an expert but I often see the same discussion. Usually the answer is that there are many things that affect discus that may not affect the other fish that are currently in there. By introducing discus they could become sick.... Hopefully you will get some good CONSTRUCTIVE advice from the experienced members here

atlantadiscus
09-20-2016, 12:42 AM
Huge +1 Ryan......way too much nonsense spewed on this forum,one of the main reasons I post very little,but read and chuckle at the level of BS many spit out on here.

warblad79
09-20-2016, 01:06 AM
How can you say they were stunted without ever seeing them. They never said how old these 4"-4.5" fish were, how long they had them etc...

I'm pretty sure they are looking for advice and not just to be scolded.

I think the main question is can discus added to this well maintained tank. I'm far from an expert but I often see the same discussion. Usually the answer is that there are many things that affect discus that may not affect the other fish that are currently in there. By introducing discus they could become sick.... Hopefully you will get some good CONSTRUCTIVE advice from the experienced members here

if you look through the initial thread you'll understand why. OP already stated the fish was stunted.

warblad79
09-20-2016, 01:07 AM
Huge +1 Ryan......way too much nonsense spewed on this forum,one of the main reasons I post very little,but read and chuckle at the level of BS many spit out on here.

Posting is not mandatory.

warblad79
09-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Thanks for being willing to respond to a new member of this forum. Perhaps I was unclear in explaining our experience, our understanding of our previous experience, and our current tank build, so I'll clarify:

As stated above:

We know the faults of our first experience and also are aware that the discus were stunted. We also know they were stunted when we purchased them. We aren't seeking approval nor criticism of that first bunch of discus we kept over a decade ago. We're merely trying to find out if, after 5-6 months of only a few small fish in our well-maintained, over-filtered 65 gallon aquarium, we can add discus. And, if we can keep our few small fish in the tank or should move them out. Also, to clarify one of the answers we received, are you saying we should add 6+ like-sized discus at a time regardless of the size of the discus?

If I were you, I wouldn't add any discus at this point since your old stocks already been compromised. I would wait until everything is sorted out. You might want to sanitize the whole tank using PP bath for at least once every two weeks for 2 months. Also increase your water change for at least 50% per day

Filip
09-20-2016, 03:31 AM
@ Discusaurus . Yes , you should add 6+ simmilar sized discus altogether regardless of their age. Less than this , you are risking hierarchy issues which can end up bad for the weaker discus.
Your planned WC regime and tank is ideal for your next batch , just insist on starting fresh and sterilized to avoid any potential troubles.

brewmaster15
09-20-2016, 05:27 AM
Original poster requested account be deleted. Thread closed.