PDA

View Full Version : Ph levels

Goon
09-20-2016, 05:39 PM
I just bought API freshwater master test kit and did a test straight out of tap, i got a reading of 7.6 ph and 7.4 High ph. does that mean my ph range is 7.4-7.6? sorry to be a noob ive never used a master kit before.

LizStreithorst
09-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Don't worry. 7.4 and 7.6 are both fine for Discus. What you need to do is put your tap water in a bucket, drop in an air stone overnight and see how much the pH changes from the pH from your straight tap. It's pH swings that bother the fish.

discuspaul
09-20-2016, 07:00 PM
The standard API pH test is generally to be used by those aquarists having and maintaining, or wanting to maintain, pH which may at times be, or regularly be, on the acidic side, below 7.0 or even into, or below, 6.0, whereas the API high pH test is simply intended to be used by those having, or wanting to have, pH above 7.6, and up into the main 8.'s or higher.

The only differences being the high or low pH limitations the tests will accurately reveal.

Essentially, the use of either test will show similar readings in the mid-range - which is your case, where your tap water &/or the water usually maintained within your tank, is in the mid 7's of pH, so both are showing more or less identical readings, (but keep in mind the coloration may be interpreted a bit differently, i.e. a bit higher, or a bit lower, at any given reading).

With your water being slightly alkaline, it would likely be best for you to use the high pH test on a regular basis.
Hope this explanation is understandable to you.

Bc chick
09-20-2016, 07:16 PM
The standard API pH test is generally to be used by those aquarists having and maintaining, or wanting to maintain, pH which may at times be, or regularly be, on the acidic side, below 7.0 or even into, or below, 6.0, whereas the API high pH test is simply intended to be used by those having, or wanting to have, pH above 7.6, and up into the main 8.'s or higher.

The only differences being the high or low pH limitations the tests will accurately reveal.

Essentially, the use of either test will show similar readings in the mid-range - which is your case, where your tap water &/or the water usually maintained within your tank, is in the mid 7's of pH, so both are showing more or less identical readings, (but keep in mind the coloration may be interpreted a bit differently, i.e. a bit higher, or a bit lower, at any given reading).

With your water being slightly alkaline, it would likely be best for you to use the high pH test on a regular basis.
Hope this explanation is understandable to you.

omg. do you know how MANY times i have asked two lfs to explain why you test ph and why you test ph high. no one could really come up with a straight answer. so before discus, i ignored testing ph cuz i didnt understand it correctly. that you so much for this info. sometimes its nice to break it down simple for someone like me. if i dont understand why it is important, i wont do it. so thansk

Goon
09-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the replys, this helped alot.