PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

Ryan925
09-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi all I'm pretty sure I've seen something regarding this but just wanted to verify. Forgive me if this is a repetitive subject.

I will be leaving for a trip to Disneyland on Monday. I will be returning Friday evening.

If I am correct the suggestion is just to fast fish for the 5 days and do large wc before leaving?

I am going to do large wc today and large wc tomorrow evening.

If I am leaving Monday am should I not feed Sunday? Should lights be off while gone? Or can I turn led fixtures down and leave on timer?

Thanks

Neptune
09-24-2016, 04:55 PM
If you want to introduce a new feed that they are not use to, this would be a great time to do it when you return.

Filip
09-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Have a good time in Disneylad Ryan :) .
Where do you go to Anaheim- CA or Paris- Europe?

I'm leaving my lights on a timer since I have a planted tank and I don't won't to hurt my plants .
Otherwise its better to leave them in pitch dark since this will put their metabolism in a stand by or sleep mode .
Its best not to feed them the last day , so they won't poop allover the next day after your last WC .
Just have a good time and don't worry , they'll do just fine without you :)

Ryan925
09-24-2016, 05:56 PM
Have a good time in Disneylad Ryan :) .
Where do you go to Anaheim- CA or Paris- Europe?

I'm leaving my lights on a timer since I have a planted tank and I don't won't to hurt my plants .
Otherwise its better to leave them in pitch dark since this will put their metabolism in a stand by or sleep mode .
Its best not to feed them the last day , so they won't poop allover the next day after your last WC .
Just have a good time and don't worry , they'll do just fine without you :)

Thanks Filip. What I thought just needed some reassurance. Going to Anaheim as I live in California. My son is turning 5 so this will be his first trip as well as my first since since I was a kid.

William1
09-25-2016, 09:58 PM
I followed the advice in the stickie section and didn't feed the day before, changed a lot of water, left for seven days and all was fine when I got back. Before I read that I would have fed them a lot before I left, but it makes sense to have as little 'detritus' in the tank while away. I also dropped in two air lines off a pump to give more oxygenation and surface agitation to the water. I think that was a good idea. Guys are great. Have fun on vacation and don't sweat it.

Ryan925
09-25-2016, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=William1;1231802]I followed the advice in the stickie section and didn't feed the day before, changed a lot of water, left for seven days and all was fine when I got back. Before I read that I would have fed them a lot before I left, but it makes sense to have as little 'detritus' in the tank while away. I also dropped in two air lines off a pump to give more oxygenation and surface agitation to the water. I think that was a good idea. Guys are great. Have fun on vacation and don't sweat it.[/QUOTE

Ty I completely forgot and fed them this morning. I remembered and did not feed them the rest of the day. I will do a large wc this evening.

I have a large air stone running off of a dual outlet pump. I have my spray bar aimed toward the surface as well as nano pump at the surface. I cleaned my canister hoses yesterday and will clean my canister and pre filter this evening.

Think they should be good. Thanks for the advice and reassurance.