PDA

View Full Version : New discus

Jhoussock
09-24-2016, 06:03 PM
101875101876101877101878Hey guys new to the discus hobby and so far I love it. I've spent the last three weeks learning a lot about discus. Seems the more I learn the more I worry�� My favorite was today when I discovered discus Hann is 20 minutes away from my sisters place and I bought my fish from a scetchy lfs�� I don't know a whole lot about my fish so what can you tell me? Stunted? Not? Ugly? Show quality? Let me have it! Sometimes they look like footballs sometimes not? How is the eye size? Is my smaller one stressed or are the darker bars just his bread? Thank you for any info in advance. I look forward to what my discus bring and can't wait to add a couple more from Hanns in the future.

Filip
09-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Welcome to discus and to Simply discus Jhoussock.
I think that you're missing the pictures in your post .
Please try again to re attach them properly and check if they are under 2 MB each .

Akili
09-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus, now that you know difference in quality Discus I recommend when you get your new fish from Discus Hans do not mix them with the fish from the local fish store.Secondly as a newcomer to Discus keeping go through all the stickies’ in the Beginners Section.They have tons of information even for an old hand like me.Have you watched this video yet? ......................
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8

Jhoussock
09-24-2016, 06:34 PM
whoops over 2mb thanks for the tip

Ryan925
09-24-2016, 07:05 PM
That is cool looking wood. Think that tank would look beautiful with some quality discus. Your fish don't look terrible but to my untrained eye probably slightly stunted. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them just don't have too high of expectations.

I made the Lfs mistake my first discus experience. Buying quality discus from the start will make your life much easier and your discus experience better imho

Your tank looks nice and clean and well maintained. Nice job there. Learn all you can and use every experience as a learning experience... Good and bad

Good luck and enjoy them from one newbie to another.

How many do you have? Should be at least 5-6 but whatever you do don't mix Hans with the LFS

Phillydubs
09-24-2016, 10:38 PM
While not terrible they aren't that great either ... Sorry just being honest ...

Is there only 2? From the pics I can see the eyes look rather large for their size.

Bummer knowing Hans is so close ...

Jhoussock
09-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Yah only two.

Akili
09-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Yah only two.Discus do better in groups.The preferred choice is six or more.