PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognise this?

Redsteveo
09-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Hi, I tried to post this in the disease section but there was no link to post a new thread in it, so sorry about that.

All my fish are looking good except one, which has a white spot / lump on the side of its head just above the eye. It had been doing a bit of flicking and darting over the last few days. I am hoping whatever it is the UV will help it, was thinking of treating the whole tank but the instructions on the meds say to switch off the UV during treatment, which I don't want to do because the UV will hekp eradicate any Ich or Whitespot. I am thinking of giving it a medicated bath in some tank water and salt or a generic White Spot Treatment instead.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

One Wild Discus with a 2 mm white spot on side of head above the eye. Was flicking and scratching for a few days before hand. All other fish with no symptoms.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White zit above eye on side of head. Other than that seems fine and is eating normally.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None so far but have just yestrday installed a 25 watt UV Steriliser and hooked it up to one of my filters.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

400 Litres set up in 2014 been running since.
9 wild Green Discus and a handful of dither fish all fine.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% twice weekly

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

2 years, contains sand substrate plus a few Amazon swords and somwe Manzanita wood.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No I use a mix of RO water and HMA Filtered water, no PH Swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _28 degrees c____

- ph _6.75____

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _10___

- nitrate reading _0___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

Well water 0
Municipal water through HMA 80% - RO 20%

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

None

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/REDSTEVEO/IMG_20160926_141617_zps7bijjmfo.jpg

I am not sure whether to treat whole tank or isolate and trae the fish seperately.

Any suggestions please.

pitdogg2
09-26-2016, 03:17 PM
If it were Ich you could increase temps to 88-90 to speed up and kill the parasite which in turn you could leave on the U-V. That does not look like Ich to me maybe it banged into something OR maybe that Nitrite reading of 10 is affecting it more than the others. I'd do lots of large water changes to at least get the nitrite down if anything. The more experienced will be along soon they may have better insight into it.

To me it looks a little like the pimple like protrusions you see from time to time from slacking on the water changes and with water changes they go away. That being said that looks bigger than I've seen those.

Akili
09-26-2016, 03:37 PM
To me it looks like a localized infection, I would try a swab of hydrogen peroxide.

jmf3460
09-26-2016, 03:41 PM
all I see are big beautiful wild green tefes, am I not going to the correct link?

pitdogg2
09-26-2016, 03:55 PM
all I see are big beautiful wild green tefes, am I not going to the correct link?

increase size of picture the one in front has something above the eye. Yes I too thought well it looks fine to me until I increased the picture.

CliffsDiscus
09-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Looks like HITH, can be treated with metro.

Cliff

Redsteveo
10-30-2016, 03:03 PM
To all the guys who replied above, thanks very much for the advice it is much appreciated. As it turns out it was HITH and I lost one fish to this and one to the dreaded 'whirling disease'

So I have been very busy making some changes. Here's what's happened since.

I decided it was finally time to draw a line under my journal, The Full Monty on the UKAPS Forum but thought I would post what has happened since I aquired my Wild Discus from Stuart in the UK a few months back. The Full Monty as was, is well and truly over now, so probably best to put it to bed.

Since I invested in the Wild Discus I have had to adapt things so much for their environment that I don't think it is fair to call my tank a planted tank any more, at least not as the planted tank community know it. A few weeks ago as you probably know, I started having some issues with a few of the discus fish, I won't go into great detail, but I lost one to 'whirling disease' and one to Hole in the Head Disease, so it was obvious something had to change. Thanks to Jizzy for his help and advice when I needed it. :cool:

So change it did, out came all the fish, the plants, the substrate and the water. A complete blitz clean of everything, all wiped down in an Acriflavrine solution. Then the tank was briefly dried out before putting things back in. The discus during this time were in a holding tank, all the other fish except the corys and the ottos were taken to a local LFS. The plants, those that were left were cleaned discinfected and placed in another tank while the main tank was being put back together.

First thing to go in was a good layer of ADA Penac W (healthy starter bacteria for seeding substrate) all over the base of the tank, followed by a good sprinkling of ADA Power Sand Special Small Grain size, this prevents the sand substrate from compacting and becoming anaerobic or smelly. Then came just over half an inch of JBL Sansibar River Sand, followed by a good sprinkling of Penac P, (another Healthy Bacteria for the substrate (prevents slime and BBA) and lastly another 3/4 inch cover of the JBL Sansibar River Sand. Here comes the bit where everyone in the planted tank community takes a sharp intake of breath before they make loads of tut tutting sounds. I had seven or eight plant pots in neutral colours, in each of which I had put a layer of Power Sand Special, followed by a layer of JBL Special Planting Substrate. Each of these pots was seeded with clean tank water, and left until the tank was refilled.

Once the tank was refilled with 50% fresh RO and HMA filtered water and 50% retained tank water, I then re-planted all the remaining plants into the pots and topped them off with a layer of the JBL Sansibar River Sand before placing the pots in various positions around the tank.:eek::eek::eek:

Both filters had been left running with heaters and areation so that the tank water was in good condition and both filters kept well seeded. That said I did decide to clean one of them completely before connecting it back up to tank water again. After 24 hours the water was smelling sweet, at the right temperature, and all water parameters spot on. So in went the corys and the ottos plus a few shrimp, and left for a couple of hours to see how things were. Everything seemed to be fine so I then acclimatised the discus in a large barrel by adding tank water into the barrel and topping up the tank with HMA Water. Over the next hour or so I gradually added the discus back in and "voila" they loved their new environment, and within an hour were shoaling around exploring their now surroundings and feeding.

Strangely enough they seem to take comfort from the pots, it is as if they are using them as 'landmarks', as coincidentally, the way the pots are situated they swim around them in a sort of 'S' bend from one side of the tank to the other.

Now I know when some people will read this and see all the photos, someone is going to say, "Well Steve, this doesn't look like a very 'wild' Wild Discus biotope to me, all looks a bit sort of artificial like." Well yes, you know what, they may well be right but I have seen people with bare bottomed glass tanks and plastic plants inside with both wild and domestic discus, (no offence intended to any one with a bare bottom) ;);) so this has got to be one step better than that at least. The only thing I have done to make it slightly more natural is hang three pieces of Manzanita Wood with Java Fern and Anubias plants attached from the back of the tank. The added bonus is that it is now so easy to maintain the water quality and keep everything really clean. I can see the fish poop much easier so can vacuum it out dead easy, plus I do 50% water changes twice a week with RO/HMA water and use Tropic Marin Discus Pro Re-mineral Powder. I am adding Calcium, Magnesium, plus esHa Optima Vitamins once a week after the second water change.

I am no longer using Co2 or adding any ferts into the tank whatsoever:nailbiting::nailbiting:

Water paramaters are:

Temp 28/29 degrees c
PH 6.8
KH 6
GH 11
TDS 263

So that's it folks, 'The Full Monty' has left the building.

Here are some photos of the finished tank, the photos have been taken during different phases of the LED Light change hence the difference in colour and appearance. I also took photos of the 'change over' process but haven't uploaded them yet to Photobucket.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,

Steve

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/REDSTEVEO/1_466_zpsnxyrd995.jpg%7Eoriginal

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/REDSTEVEO/1_465_zpsmukvltzp.jpg%7Eoriginal

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/REDSTEVEO/IMG_20161022_220539_zpsn4rok2ko.jpg%7Eoriginal

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/REDSTEVEO/IMG_20161022_220650_zpshzuojuwc.jpg%7Eoriginal

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/REDSTEVEO/IMG_20161022_220703_zpscxu5lk3a.jpg%7Eoriginal

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/REDSTEVEO/IMG_20161022_220829_zpsdozczzwf.jpg%7Eoriginal