PDA

View Full Version : Hello... My name is Phil and I am a ___________

Phillydubs
09-30-2016, 01:48 PM
I need to write this... Maybe in a way to clear my conscious, maybe in a way to seek advice, help, feedback or whatever may come from it...

You see, as we all are, I find my self more into and drawn in by this fish and hobby with each passing day. Like most of us all it started with pictures in old fish books and magazines, then my sickly lfs discus and then here and the great sponsor fish provided... However, lately, I have felt and let myself spiral out a bit... I am limited on space as some of you know from my previous posts. I have so much going on in my life lately as we all do, but I have some major life changes going on, between children, a new home, a real launch in my career... the list goes on...

All of that being said, I have done a few things that I am not too proud of and rather than bottle them up I think it is best to let my simply family and the discus community know about it. Thankfully I currently have no issues to report and all is fine. Maybe I am over reacting, maybe it is a moral, right from wrong thing, but I need to tell.

It all started with me getting bored with my current tank and line up as well tend to do and I got the itch again. I satisfied that for quite a while with the addition of a 40 gallon breeder wild tank with 5 wilds that can be seen here in my homesteader thread. Against the vice of some respected people I still went ahead with it. Although on the small side, the fish appear happy, healthy and thriving. They are such a joy they are growing like weeds and getting more vibrant in color by the day! I love the tank, I wish it was bigger but I love it none-the-less...

Onto my domestic/wild cross tank - I had a leopard that was nice and most people would consider a great fish but I was never too fond of it and I decided I wanted to sell that and possibly some other fish to mix in my group. I went ahead and did that and then I ordered some very cool albino fish from James at discus r us. The fish were beautiful and have some growing to do and I felt it would be fun and liven my tank. Fine...

Then a few weeks after that purchase, the forum member here discuschill I believe posted a pair of yellow nebula ghost. I literally drooled over that video all weekend and finally just had to ask where they came from. I assumed they were hard to get or couldn't be had but my curiosity got the best of me and I found them and could get my hands on them and just had to have them. I got them in hopes that they may be a pair and I could set a tank up in a kids room, but with my wifes foot down hard (more on that later) and the fact that they ended up not being a pair, or at least not yet, into the community they went...

Then Kenny posted his list and those red spotted browns... I am a sucker for red, I never saw a fish like this before so once again, I had to have one. Who is going to ship one fish right? So I added a red eagle because I had one from one of the very first batches that came here and unfortunately sold it when I moved from manhattan and have coveted a new one for a while. Into qt they went and another fish sold to make room...

As you can see, I have a hard time resisting temptation...

In the midst of all this I am getting a lot of push back from family and business partners (aka more family as I run a business with my father and brother in law... My 2 tanks are at work and I get nothing from grief from them about it (part of it is jealousy I think that I have a cool hobby) Mind you half of our work garage is taken up my my fathers old cars... but that is ok...however my 5 feet of space is a burden.

Then my wife says I spend way too much time on the tanks at work and if I get a marine tank (which I really want for home) it will be too much and time consuming so she has kinda given me the ultimatum to either have the discus at work or the salt tank at home...

I can't and will not leave the discus hobby and community I love it too much...

So after all my babbling I guess I just want to say that I am one who tends to learn the hard way on things. I had a tank I was comfortable with and that was awesome and working nicely. Not that I have an issue now, but lately I have been fearful of my high stock level and the new additions. I leave for a business conference tomorrow and will begone 10 days. I have never left my fish this long. Friends have told me your fish are healthy you will be fine and I tend to believe that. I have stressed over vacations before and been fine, but usually those are only for a week.

Anyways, I guess I just want newbies or even the old folks to know that we all get bit by the bug and I am really realizing it and trying to regain some self control. I know what is right, I know what stocking levels are considered ok and what is too much and even after being around this hobby for a long time and learning some hard lessons, I sort of feel bad I continue to make petty mistakes and decisions. For my own benefit and pleasure only.

Sorry to ramble and like I said this thread doesn't have much of a purpose except to clear my head, warn some of you how easily you can be consumed and maybe seek advice from some who have been here before...

Thanks for letting me vent!

Second Hand Pat
09-30-2016, 01:59 PM
Hope you feel better Phil. We are all in your boat so know exactly where you are coming from :)
Pat

brewmaster15
09-30-2016, 02:09 PM
I need to write this... Maybe in a way to clear my conscious, maybe in a way to seek advice, help, feedback or whatever may come from it...

You see, as we all are, I find my self more into and drawn in by this fish and hobby with each passing day. Like most of us all it started with pictures in old fish books and magazines, then my sickly lfs discus and then here and the great sponsor fish provided... However, lately, I have felt and let myself spiral out a bit... I am limited on space as some of you know from my previous posts. I have so much going on in my life lately as we all do, but I have some major life changes going on, between children, a new home, a real launch in my career... the list goes on...

All of that being said, I have done a few things that I am not too proud of and rather than bottle them up I think it is best to let my simply family and the discus community know about it. Thankfully I currently have no issues to report and all is fine. Maybe I am over reacting, maybe it is a moral, right from wrong thing, but I need to tell.

It all started with me getting bored with my current tank and line up as well tend to do and I got the itch again. I satisfied that for quite a while with the addition of a 40 gallon breeder wild tank with 5 wilds that can be seen here in my homesteader thread. Against the vice of some respected people I still went ahead with it. Although on the small side, the fish appear happy, healthy and thriving. They are such a joy they are growing like weeds and getting more vibrant in color by the day! I love the tank, I wish it was bigger but I love it none-the-less...

Onto my domestic/wild cross tank - I had a leopard that was nice and most people would consider a great fish but I was never too fond of it and I decided I wanted to sell that and possibly some other fish to mix in my group. I went ahead and did that and then I ordered some very cool albino fish from James at discus r us. The fish were beautiful and have some growing to do and I felt it would be fun and liven my tank. Fine...

Then a few weeks after that purchase, the forum member here discuschill I believe posted a pair of yellow nebula ghost. I literally drooled over that video all weekend and finally just had to ask where they came from. I assumed they were hard to get or couldn't be had but my curiosity got the best of me and I found them and could get my hands on them and just had to have them. I got them in hopes that they may be a pair and I could set a tank up in a kids room, but with my wifes foot down hard (more on that later) and the fact that they ended up not being a pair, or at least not yet, into the community they went...

Then Kenny posted his list and those red spotted browns... I am a sucker for red, I never saw a fish like this before so once again, I had to have one. Who is going to ship one fish right? So I added a red eagle because I had one from one of the very first batches that came here and unfortunately sold it when I moved from manhattan and have coveted a new one for a while. Into qt they went and another fish sold to make room...

As you can see, I have a hard time resisting temptation...

In the midst of all this I am getting a lot of push back from family and business partners (aka more family as I run a business with my father and brother in law... My 2 tanks are at work and I get nothing from grief from them about it (part of it is jealousy I think that I have a cool hobby) Mind you half of our work garage is taken up my my fathers old cars... but that is ok...however my 5 feet of space is a burden.

Then my wife says I spend way too much time on the tanks at work and if I get a marine tank (which I really want for home) it will be too much and time consuming so she has kinda given me the ultimatum to either have the discus at work or the salt tank at home...

I can't and will not leave the discus hobby and community I love it too much...

So after all my babbling I guess I just want to say that I am one who tends to learn the hard way on things. I had a tank I was comfortable with and that was awesome and working nicely. Not that I have an issue now, but lately I have been fearful of my high stock level and the new additions. I leave for a business conference tomorrow and will begone 10 days. I have never left my fish this long. Friends have told me your fish are healthy you will be fine and I tend to believe that. I have stressed over vacations before and been fine, but usually those are only for a week.

Anyways, I guess I just want newbies or even the old folks to know that we all get bit by the bug and I am really realizing it and trying to regain some self control. I know what is right, I know what stocking levels are considered ok and what is too much and even after being around this hobby for a long time and learning some hard lessons, I sort of feel bad I continue to make petty mistakes and decisions. For my own benefit and pleasure only.

Sorry to ramble and like I said this thread doesn't have much of a purpose except to clear my head, warn some of you how easily you can be consumed and maybe seek advice from some who have been here before...

Thanks for letting me vent!

There he goes making a mountain out of a molehill! :) I don't see anything wrong with the addictions you have here Phil and how you are trying to accomodate them! Its only natural for Discus Keepers to become Discus Horders.:evilgrin: However, as a certified Discus Owner Psychoanalyst and your friend > I will give you a free consultation here. Your addiction is going to end very badly unless you incorporate a measure of patience into your acquisitions...Doesn't need to be much...However, it does need to be about 4-6 weeks between each purchase. In the BIZ, we call this Quarantine Time.:)

al

warblad79
09-30-2016, 03:23 PM
It's alright man, trust me you're not the only one here. I come to realized how much money and time I've spent owning and maintaining my discus. But thankfully I don't get any ultimatum from my wife yet. In the past I just keep buying fish without sense of direction what to do with them. So I got into breeding and raising discus but I have to sell some so I can continue my hobby.

William1
09-30-2016, 07:03 PM
I'm not like that at all. I got my eight Uatuma Blues in a cool 120G and that is all I need or want. No way am I having more than one discus tank. One is fun, two would seem a burden. Cool fish, but not worth getting stressed out about. I'm older than you though. More happy with what I have than what I could have.
Nice baring of your soul. That was choice. Just mellow out, maybe cutting back is a good idea considering all your other stuff going on. I don't think jumping into a saltwater at home is a good idea right now from what you've said.
Thank you for allowing me to play amateur psychologist. That will be 5 cents. Put it towards my premium membership. Keep this up and I may be in the club in no time. Cheers, BK

brewmaster15
09-30-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm not like that at all. I got my eight Uatuma Blues in a cool 120G and that is all I need or want. No way am I having more than one discus tank. One is fun, two would seem a burden. Cool fish, but not worth getting stressed out about. I'm older than you though. More happy with what I have than what I could have.
Nice baring of your soul. That was choice. Just mellow out, maybe cutting back is a good idea considering all your other stuff going on. I don't think jumping into a saltwater at home is a good idea right now from what you've said.
Thank you for allowing me to play amateur psychologist. That will be 5 cents. Put it towards my premium membership. Keep this up and I may be in the club in no time. Cheers, BK

Random Act of Admin... You are now a premium member ..silver level for 6 months:)
Al

Altum Nut
09-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Phil...as much of a temptation it may be whether one tank or 10 tanks it happens to all of us to want more. I know you have a busy life style with business and most important FAMILY. I have many empty tanks stored and itching to get them running again but know I'm not committed right now. Discus weather wild or domestic will be around when you feel space and time is not a factor to maintain.
Take a deep breath brother...there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

...Ralph

William1
09-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Wow!, a silver member. Now what? Do I have to do anything?
Just kidding. Thanks a million Al, that is nice. I'm honored. Great forum. Been active for about six months, have had my guys for about five. The only thing I wish I could change would be that people came here first, before jumping in to discus keeping. From my short time aboard I see that a seemingly large proportion of posts are those seeking help after buying their fish and having problems. Then they come here seeking answers for sick fish. I was lucky to have found this site before I set anything up. And was steered to a top notch supplier Snook. Keeping discus is not hard if you start out on the right foot and maintain basic discus keeping discipline. And don't get in too deep... Hello Philly, yo...

Kyla
09-30-2016, 10:06 PM
u r def not alone. i was feeling the weight of juggling a full-time and part-time job, volunteering, and caring for all my pets while still trying to find time for family. i was unhappy with the hobby, perpetually dissatisfied, fantasizing about selling all my tanks and pets... thats when u know its bad, when u start envisioning life without fish!!

overloaded with responsibilities, i made bad decisions which my fish suffered for... there have been accidents, errors, and even catastrophes which could have been avoided if i had listened to good advice, used more self control, exercised patience etc

take care of ur mental health,
take a step back if u need to. if ur family and coworkers r expressing concern about ur hobby it may be that they see u r stressed and their negative reaction is simply an attempt to help u. my family and coworkers did exactly the same thing!

i wish i could just be content with the fish i have but i get bored too... i see a "must have" fish and then i go do something really dumb... like buy 4 more discus when i already dont spend enough time with my fish. its insanity!

ive come a long way. exploring minimalism has helped. moving towards the goal of living more and owning less has given me freedom to focus on whats important but i have a lot to learn. someday we'll find the cure, but until then....

http://youtu.be/GzRxSqdZhFo

Ardan
10-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Phil
It's only just begun.....;)

Ardan

Poppa Ryno
10-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Hello.... My name is phil and i am a_____ insert BAD *** here. Lol. Your honesty leads me to tell you this. Welcome tothe club. You are & never will be alone in those struggles. Some days are easier to swallow than others. I also want to thank you as you have been one of the nicest people to me here. & for that you are a BAD ***.

You ever need to vent, & I know im not alone in this feeling, Ive got 2 ears for ya brotha.

Filip
10-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Welcome to the fishaholics club Phill :) .
Thank god for my bossy wife and her restraining orders I resist the urge to buy and expand .
But the addiction still gets the best of me cause most of the time I think or dream about some future projects and things to do or buy and it completely ocuppies my mind , which is even worse than to actually relief your self when the urge hits you :) .
Anyway you look at it , your in too deep ......in trouble my friend :)

two utes
10-01-2016, 07:23 PM
:p Get yourself together man! ;)

Phillydubs
10-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Thank you all for the kind words advice and encouragement. !!

I appreciate you all and the many stories and bits of info have made me smile!

Very nice of you to do that for William Al. If anything my venting got someone a nice membership! Lol

Ryan I appreciate it buddy. You are a great member of the forum!

Ryan925
10-02-2016, 12:13 AM
Thank you all for the kind words advice and encouragement. !!

I appreciate you all and the many stories and bits of info have made me smile!

Very nice of you to do that for William Al. If anything my venting got someone a nice membership! Lol

Ryan I appreciate it buddy. You are a great member of the forum!

Hey Phil

I think any man with any sort of pride is too hard on himself sometimes. There is no wrong-doing to be seen, as most have said. Impulsiveness & dedication? Sure. Who can't admit to that?

You obviously know what is important to you and listen to reason when it counts. As far as I see you are no different than any of the rest of us.

Aside from that you are a great resource to this forum. You are very active and helpful to all of those in need. As a newbie I have to say you have been a great help to me in my journey.

Thank you

adrian31@outlook.com
10-02-2016, 09:10 AM
u r def not alone. i was feeling the weight of juggling a full-time and part-time job, volunteering, and caring for all my pets while still trying to find time for family. i was unhappy with the hobby, perpetually dissatisfied, fantasizing about selling all my tanks and pets... thats when u know its bad, when u start envisioning life without fish!!

overloaded with responsibilities, i made bad decisions which my fish suffered for... there have been accidents, errors, and even catastrophes which could have been avoided if i had listened to good advice, used more self control, exercised patience etc

http://youtu.be/GzRxSqdZhFo

Watched your video link and realize I too have M.T.S. Just started the hobby a couple months ago with a 55gal and 6 discus...already have a 180gal on order. The good thing about it is the wife sees it as a benefit for me having a hobby that keeps me indoors and also enhances the home. It's all relative I guess:)

Neptune
10-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Good talk son,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYTdILs7-1Q

CliffsDiscus
10-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Hi, Phil you are now become a true Discusholic.

Cliff