PDA

View Full Version : My new Discus

JohnniG
10-02-2016, 08:21 AM
I got these 6 beauties 3 days ago. They are in a 60 gal tank with a few pumps coming from the behind the tank where the filter is and then a single powerhead poniting towards the high back of the tank to not create too much flow. They are however, always just sitting at the bottom, not paying too much attention to food. When I feed them they notice the artemia, grab 3-4 pieces and then just go back to sitting there. The seller is a 20 year experienced breeder and they looked happy swimming around in his tank, but not to much mine. Last two days I did a 30 % water change.

Do they look sick? Do they just need to adjust?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQOOhA4lwk

EDIT: fixed video link

Ryan925
10-02-2016, 12:42 PM
If it's only been 3 days I prob wouldn't worry too much.

Aside from that if you give some more info on your setup it is much easier for people to help you out if it does turn out there is an issue.

Filtration, water params, wc regime, etc

Akili
10-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Try some subdued lighting for a few days,make sure there is no light hitting the tank from the side, Discus they don't like shadows being cast on them.Also increase your water change more like 50 % daily.

Altum Nut
10-02-2016, 01:00 PM
I agree with Ryan just 3 days in your group need the time to adjust to their new environment. In addition to other points mentioned above I would add that the power head is not required where flow can be the reason Discus are grouped at the bottom.
The gravel bottom will pose water quality issues if your not on top of regular w/c's and siphoning gravel daily it food and poop get trapped as compared to bare bottom where it is viable to be cleaned up.

...Ralph