PDA

View Full Version : P. Altum aggressive with my discus

Donethur
10-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I have since a couple of years a beautiful male P. Altum living in harmony with all my discus. He always was a bit shy and ate like 4 artemias, and like a couple of bites of zophoba worms, and that was more or less mainly his daily feeding. Nonetheless, I added earthworms to the diet for 5 days, and it seems this increased a lot the activity of this guy, as he started eating a lot more after trying this worm, and he seems to be a lot more active (like an alpha male marking territory) and aggressive with the discus, but only with discus with some blue colour on it (blue diamond, leopard, altum flora stripe). He has been attacking them since 3 days ago and they look stressed.

So my doubt is: has somebody had this issue before?, what is recommended or there is nothing to do?. I ask because this is a beautiful fish, I dont want to lose him, but if this doesnt change, I wont have other option.

Thanks!

Kyla
10-03-2016, 01:37 PM
i had to rehome an aggressive male angelfish who bullied my discus. he did OK in the tank for a while but it didnt work out. it wasnt worth it to keep him and risk the discus falling ill from stress (they werent allowed to eat). u could use a divider to separate the angelfish temporarily and add him back to the tank later.

DISCUS STU
10-03-2016, 01:52 PM
I've never had this issue with P. Altum and Discus, usually it's the other way around. I've found this Angel to be one of the least aggressive of the Angels.

How crowded is your tank?

Kyla
10-03-2016, 07:38 PM
its weird, eh, the behaviour change after years of being shy... was there any change in the tank set-up recently that might have triggered a behaviour change?

Neptune
10-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Behavior may be due to a higher protein food firing him up to breed?