PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine/treatment/dips for plants going into a discus tank????

poolplayer
10-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Hello.
Can somebody please provide some guidance regarding the appropriate treatment or QT of live plants going into a discus tank?? Obviously, the same pathogens that infect plants very likely won't target a fish but I want to ensure I don't bring along any hitchhikers. Are MB dips or iodine dips effective treatments that wouldn't hurt the plants?? Is there a better treatment plan that uoud recommend?? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Akili
10-03-2016, 10:35 PM
I have used Alum to control and kill snails.Dosage is 1 tablespoon per gallon for a 2 hour soak and followed up with a 24 hour soak of "Mardel Clout". Dissolve half a tablet for a gallon of water. When using "Clout" wear rubber gloves.

Filip
10-04-2016, 03:06 PM
I use the safest for discus and the harshest for the plants way .
That's the bleach- water 1-19 ratio solution and plants dipped for 1-2 min. Good rinse and dechlirinator dip , afterwards . And straight in to tank.

poolplayer
10-04-2016, 03:14 PM
I use the safest for discus and the harshest for the plants way .
That's the bleach- water 1-19 ratio solution and plants dipped for 1-2 min. Good rinse and dechlirinator dip , afterwards . And straight in to tank.

Cool! Thanks Filip. I'd prefer to go the route safest for discus as well. Thank you for sharing. Odd that it a ratio of 1:19. How was that ratio decided?? Have you killed any plants with that dip regime?

Filip
10-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Cool! Thanks Filip. I'd prefer to go the route safest for discus as well. Thank you for sharing. Odd that it a ratio of 1:19. How was that ratio decided?? Have you killed any plants with that dip regime?

Dunno , propably some smarta.. guys were burning plants to death and were measuring pathogen count under microscope untill they decide that 5% bleach sol. is the reasonable compromise for both of the confronted worlds of flora and fauna :) .

Hell yeah . Many of the softer and more delicate plants are severly harmed by this method .
Luckily you dont need them in the first place because discus temps. require hard and undemanding plants. And those so called discus friendly plants can easily withstand this sterilization method.

poolplayer
10-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Awesome! Thank you!

TheRedSpotted
10-06-2016, 08:05 AM
You can also use peroxyde at 3%.
Just spray the leaves ;)