PDA

View Full Version : A cheap DIY light that seems OK

kroyin
10-04-2016, 01:21 PM
After a few attempts with cheap diy led lights , arrived at something which appeals to me

Simple cool white 5x10 watt LEDs attached in parallel

Filip
10-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Nice looking Kroyin. Although i prefer mixed LED colours red, blue , white , warm white with separate dimmable options to customise the best lookiing discus colours .
At least thats what im planning to add on my current light fixture .

Neptune
10-05-2016, 09:29 PM
lets see how you did it.

Ryan925
10-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Nice looking Kroyin. Although i prefer mixed LED colours red, blue , white , warm white with separate dimmable options to customise the best lookiing discus colours .
At least thats what im planning to add on my current light fixture .

Looks pretty good for diy. I agree with Filip though, having red and blue will help to show the fish color much better than just white.

nc0gnet0
10-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Looks pretty good for diy. I agree with Filip though, having red and blue will help to show the fish color much better than just white.

Just mixing some warm white with cool white will help a lot, reds really aren't needed.

kroyin
10-05-2016, 10:43 PM
Yes Warm White + Cool White should work better.

I am not too keen on Red, as the Yellow and Red spectrum s seem to cause algae

Ryan925
10-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Yes Warm White + Cool White should work better.

I am not too keen on Red, as the Yellow and Red spectrum s seem to cause algae

I have a custom combo of blue, white and red and have 0 algae

kroyin
10-05-2016, 11:22 PM
If you have plants and good husbandry then you might not :-).

In sterile tanks like mine , with the kind of feeding that we do, I'd stay away from reds

Ryan925
10-05-2016, 11:48 PM
If you have plants and good husbandry then you might not :-).

In sterile tanks like mine , with the kind of feeding that we do, I'd stay away from reds

No longer have plants. Well just one but will be going soon as well. I have my percentages cut down. I was running really bright while tank was planted but now going for more natural look. Have toned lights way down to match the hardscape