PDA

View Full Version : Teenager tank

Ryan925
10-04-2016, 11:54 PM
So I've had my fish since April. Passed few months I have seen quite a bit of pairing behavior from 4 out of the 7. Now it's 5 of the 7 shaking, tilting, lip locking etc.

Now when I stick fdbw cubes to the glass it seems there is more of this behavior than actually eating. Now my turq is also doing his thing with the cubes.

Anybody else experience this where all the fish are experiencing "puberty" at the same time and are just out of their minds like a group of teens?

I'm hoping with all the new wood they can have their own space. My bss/blue scorpion is trying to pair with my golden check again and back to chasing the others the full length of the tank.

Maybe they just like the new wood. There is lots more wood cleaning going on and lots more of their funny dancing.

It's entertaining if nothing else

Kyla
10-07-2016, 09:51 AM
i have a theee females that spend all day fighting. i feed lots to make sure they get enough to eat

Ryan925
10-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Not sure of the sexes yet since only my rafflesia has laid eggs. I see lots of face offs and lip locking going on these days. It's kinda funny to watch

Phillydubs
10-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Ryan. I have experienced this and still am... It is just the nature of the beast it seems.

I had a pack of young adults hat all grew together and matured together. It was working rather well until my impulsiveness got the best of me and I removed some and added some.

I too am taking your approach with the wood and trying to "section" things off a bit ...

It comes and goes and as long as there is no damage or one is t eating or getting too stressed they just handle it. It is part of their life.

One thing I can suggest is to not used the cubes to feed. For my wild tank I break the cubes up and let them sit in some water for a few min and stir em up with a spoon. Then I dump some in across the tank and continue until they are gone.

I call it als fdbw snow globe !!! Lolol it helps spread the worms

Braydon00
10-07-2016, 03:01 PM
I had this exact problem while feeding. I just buy Als loose blackworms and add a couple small pinches around the tank so everyone gets a chance to eat. Works very well I must say.

Ryan925
10-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Ryan. I have experienced this and still am... It is just the nature of the beast it seems.

I had a pack of young adults hat all grew together and matured together. It was working rather well until my impulsiveness got the best of me and I removed some and added some.

I too am taking your approach with the wood and trying to "section" things off a bit ...

It comes and goes and as long as there is no damage or one is t eating or getting too stressed they just handle it. It is part of their life.

One thing I can suggest is to not used the cubes to feed. For my wild tank I break the cubes up and let them sit in some water for a few min and stir em up with a spoon. Then I dump some in across the tank and continue until they are gone.

I call it als fdbw snow globe !!! Lolol it helps spread the worms

Thanks Philly. It's not excessive nor do I worry about injury or lack of eating. It's just kinda funny to watch and was wondering if anyone else had a tank full of fish out of their minds with hormones lol.

The cubes still work and actually my runt tears at the cubes more violently than the others. My runt is also starting to chase fish around. It's fun to watch the dynamic change in the group.

All I can say is discus are as fun to watch as they are beautiful. They definitely have an entertainment factor that most fish do not

Phillydubs
10-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Sounds like you have a super active tank and are enjoying yourself!!

I can't wait to get back and rescape my tank !!! Hope it comes out half as nice as yours bud!!

Ryan925
10-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Sounds like you have a super active tank and are enjoying yourself!!

I can't wait to get back and rescape my tank !!! Hope it comes out half as nice as yours bud!!

Thank my friend. Was in there moving stuff around during a wc today lol. Rocks are gone and last lone plant. I had a setup I was really pleased with but 2 or the thickest pieces still want to float.

Look forward to seeing yours.

Now I've seen Kennys new shipment and am extremely tempted to overstock a little

Phillydubs
10-07-2016, 09:07 PM
When you say overstock ... Tell me what size and what is in there...

You are taking to the king of overstock lol I may not be q good influence

Ryan925
10-07-2016, 09:28 PM
When you say overstock ... Tell me what size and what is in there...

You are taking to the king of overstock lol I may not be q good influence

I know you and Filip are good advocates for overstock lol.

I don't know that I will but I've been dreaming all day.

I currently have 7 in my 75 that are prob 4.5-5.5 maybe even bigger. I'm scared to net them and measure.

Was thinking maybe one more. I'm doing about 80% wc every other day vac'ng each time and cleaning my pre filter.. I saw a few people say that 8-10 in 75 isn't all that bad if you are on top of maintenance.

I don't know that I would but was considering one more.

My next plan is a Juvie growout of about 15-18 in a 210 with overflow I've been eyeballing.

My better half says when we move to bigger house bigger tank can happen lol

Rapture
10-07-2016, 09:32 PM
I got mine in February and a pair formed a couple months ago. The smallest fish was also no longer eating. I removed the pair and the small discus can now eat. I used to feed the loose blackworms, but a lot of them went in the overflow since they do not sink well, so I like frozen beefheart mix better.

Ryan925
10-07-2016, 09:45 PM
I got mine in February and a pair formed a couple months ago. The smallest fish was also no longer eating. I removed the pair and the small discus can now eat. I used to feed the loose blackworms, but a lot of them went in the overflow since they do not sink well, so I like frozen beefheart mix better.

Good practice, which I learned from Al, is if you feed the loose to bunch them in your fingers then squeeze them underwatwr before you let them go. That usually causes the majority to sink.

My discus really are not fans of top feeding. I'm trying to get them to eat Forrests aquabits. They are slowly getting more into eating those off the bottom

Phillydubs
10-08-2016, 03:52 AM
7 in a 75 and you are worried....

Add 13 more then come talk to me ;) Lolol jk jk

You can def add a few tho and I would add 2 or more

Ryan925
10-08-2016, 01:01 PM
7 in a 75 and you are worried....

Add 13 more then come talk to me ;) Lolol jk jk

You can def add a few tho and I would add 2 or more

Lmao.

I am really considering especially now that the tank is only sand and wood

Ryan925
10-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Well Phil just couldn't help myself. I think I will be joining your support group :D

Just sent Kenny any email. Adding a neon sapphire and an alenquer cross to the group. My wife had been wanting the neon for some time but Kenny sold out very quickly last time we tried to get one.

I think the alenquer will look nice in the more natural scape

Phillydubs
10-08-2016, 01:59 PM
So cool!!! You will go pick them up or have them sent ?

Phillydubs
10-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Throw a calico in while you are at it so I can live vicariously through you!! They are awesome

Ryan925
10-08-2016, 02:20 PM
So cool!!! You will go pick them up or have them sent ?

Pick up of course. I love seeing my friend Kenny and all his fish.

I really wanted a snow white but he only had them in the 3.5" range. I didn't want to go smaller than my current stock. I really wanted a Mercury or WB also but again all were smaller this shipment.

My next tank will def have some whites

Kyla
10-09-2016, 12:19 PM
im still kicking myself for not getting an albino platinum or a mercury with my last order, which i promised myself i wouldnt make in the first place! it seems that every time i have the opportunity to get in on a group order, i do, even though i swear to myself i am done ordering fish. these discus r hard to quit.

Ryan925
10-09-2016, 03:47 PM
im still kicking myself for not getting an albino platinum or a mercury with my last order, which i promised myself i wouldnt make in the first place! it seems that every time i have the opportunity to get in on a group order, i do, even though i swear to myself i am done ordering fish. these discus r hard to quit.

I love the mercury's but don't know much about them. When I Google I get a lot of pics that look like dark angels. I'm wondering if they stay mostly white or if the "blue peppering" fills in more as they mature