PDA

View Full Version : discus wigglers - separating from parents

malhilo
10-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Hi..
I have a pair that laid eggs for the 4th time, previously they ate all eggs..this time the eggs were left, became wrigglers yesterday, everything was fine until I noticed that parents are not returning falling wrigglers back..I looked here and found out that this can happened..
a while ago, the mother decided to clean the breeding area, and started to remove all wrigglers there, so, I sucked out all the wrigglers that I could (around 30 wriggler)..now they are in a small bowel, alone, with no parents..
Have anyone tried to raise discus this way? shall I do it or that would be a waste of time?
Thanks for the help..

Simplejustin
10-07-2016, 09:12 PM
youtube "artificially raising discus fry" you should get a few hits.

CliffsDiscus
10-08-2016, 01:09 AM
I usually pull out the cone with the still attached eggs
and place it in an incubation bowl. The fry will be free
swimming on the seventh day. Remove any dead and deform fry with an eye dropper.

Cliff

linhngu
10-18-2016, 01:35 AM
i like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y35g9TWaivE) setup if you want to raise fry by yourself

SomeFin's Fishy
10-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Here's how we do it: http://coastalaquariumsociety.com/images/powerpoints/discus/Raising%20Discus.pdf This is a PowerPoint Presentation we put together when we made a presentation to the Tampa Bay Aqaurium Society in 2014. They posted the powerpoint on line on their web site. Because it's a PowerPoint, it contains mostly speaking points and we filled in the rest during the presentation, but I think you get the idea. We've made some updates to the process in the last couple of years, but it is essentially the same. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Good Luck! It's definitely worth trying to save the fry.

CliffsDiscus
10-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Here's how we do it: http://coastalaquariumsociety.com/images/powerpoints/discus/Raising%20Discus.pdf This is a PowerPoint Presentation we put together when we made a presentation to the Tampa Bay Aqaurium Society in 2014. They posted the powerpoint on line on their web site. Because it's a PowerPoint, it contains mostly speaking points and we filled in the rest during the presentation, but I think you get the idea. We've made some updates to the process in the last couple of years, but it is essentially the same. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Good Luck! It's definitely worth trying to save the fry.

Good information, more pictures might help.

Cliff

SomeFin's Fishy
10-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Good information, more pictures might help.

Cliff

Cliff-

Yeah, sorry about that. As I said, this is just the Powerpoint we used for the presentation. The original PowerPoint had a lot of video clips do not show up on the static PowerPoint. The videos would certainly help make more sense of the slides, but hopefully, you get the general idea.