PDA

View Full Version : Juwel trigon 350 new set up help & ideas

Tindale83
10-08-2016, 02:35 AM
Hi every one, this is my first attempt to have a healthy good looking tank, just purchased the juwel trigon 350 and the eheim pro 3 1200xl filter. I'm after advise on what type of background to go for (Black, light blue, dark planted pic) also colour and type substrate.

After reading hours of other posts and topics I have come up with the idea of

Tank setup
1. a very fine layer of white sand bout half an inch so it's easy to clean.
2. either light blue or black background (depending on spotting issues).
3. 3-4 large peaces of red bogwood with lots of thin branches (light brown red) tie some java fern on the thin branches.
4. Plants: half a dozen smalll terracotta pots with appropriate ferterliser in and some type of medium to tall plant. (Figure this be easy to maintain over planted inthe sand.
5. 6-8 juveniles, few Corey's and a plec.

The eheim xl1200 has 1 spray bar and 2 outlet pipes, any thoughts on how to place them in a corner tank and what about a air stone to help possible dead spots inthe tank?

Phillydubs
10-08-2016, 05:33 AM
Mr. tindale. Welcome to the forum. Pleasure to have you aboard. Please only post the same thread once and refrain from creating multiple threads of the same topic or content. I have gone ahead and deleted the most recent post and left the original intact.

Sorry I don't mean to scold you on your first time here but need to manage the board and make it a great resource for all!

Phillydubs
10-08-2016, 05:41 AM
On to your questions ....

As far as tank background that is really personal preference. Some fish. Especially pigeon blood can and will darken and it pepper with a dark background. So depending on the strain you purchase may factor into your choice. I've seen people have great results with a bluer back.

Sounds like you have done some research but are still missing some of the main points. Are you new to keeping fish in genral or just discus ...?

You say juvenile discus you have in mind ? What size are you thinkng. This again will determine and answer many of your questions. If you have researched as you have said then you are aware of the water quality these fish need and the Amon told time and effort they take to raise and care for properly. That being said. If this is in fact your first rodeo. I'd ditch the plant ideas and focus on the fish and getting into a rythem w water changes and your husbandry skills.

Although potted plants as you state are much easier to care for. There is still work involved and fluctuation involved. Same with sand and a substrate. Especially for growing out juvies. You'd be better served painting your tank bottom a sand color than actually using real sand.

hollis
10-08-2016, 05:46 AM
Great tank choice , love juwel tanks and the 350 corner is a beauty. Ultimately you will go in a direction that appeals to you , just make keep it simple and easy to keep clean . I like a layer of thin white sand as it seems to keep the fish bright also easy to see crud and suck it up.

Tindale83
10-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi yeah I've cept ya basic community tanks, cichlids tanks and tried discus few month ago in my community tank a few month ago ant got everything wrong, so I sold that tank and been in contact the a top discus dealer. I'm wanting to keep discus the propa way 100%. I know it's best to have a BB tank but the wife don't like them. I was planing to purchase around 6-8 discus at the same time (3" or possibly bigger)

As the plants. I was gone to tie a few jVa fern to bog wood because I thought I could remove the wood when cleaning the bottom of the tank would be easy and attractive. I've kept all my previous tanks water good quality, so I do know I need to do a lot more for discus. Instead of doing 30-40% weekly I was gone to test my water daily for the first few weeks and see what the results were with the extra late filter and maybe do every couple of days.

Tindale83
10-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Great tank choice , love juwel tanks and the 350 corner is a beauty. Ultimately you will go in a direction that appeals to you , just make keep it simple and easy to keep clean . I like a layer of thin white sand as it seems to keep the fish bright also easy to see crud and suck it up.

What type of white sand do u use cos some are to thin and easily get removed when a syphon the bitten and some can mess with ya PH

Filip
10-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Hi every one, this is my first attempt to have a healthy good looking tank, just purchased the juwel trigon 350 and the eheim pro 3 1200xl filter. I'm after advise on what type of background to go for (Black, light blue, dark planted pic) also colour and type substrate.

After reading hours of other posts and topics I have come up with the idea of

Tank setup
1. a very fine layer of white sand bout half an inch so it's easy to clean.
2. either light blue or black background (depending on spotting issues).
3. 3-4 large peaces of red bogwood with lots of thin branches (light brown red) tie some java fern on the thin branches.
4. Plants: half a dozen smalll terracotta pots with appropriate ferterliser in and some type of medium to tall plant. (Figure this be easy to maintain over planted inthe sand.
5. 6-8 juveniles, few Corey's and a plec.

The eheim xl1200 has 1 spray bar and 2 outlet pipes, any thoughts on how to place them in a corner tank and what about a air stone to help possible dead spots inthe tank?

Hi Tindale and welcome to Simply discus .

You got some nice points on keeping discus figured out by your self already .

1. Light coloured background and especialy tank bottom will make your discus display brighter and more vibrant colours . So i would def. encourage you to go with white PFS sand and white , light blue or a beige backgroud .

2. Pool filter sand should be white/ beige coloured and 03-08 mm grade / grain sized. You should look for Quartz sand silica based.Dont put sand more than one inch depth . Just to cover the glass is even better option .

3. You can put 2-3 larger pieces of driftwood with anubias or microsorums attached on them so you can play them arround while you siphon your gravel . Putting 6 pots along with this will overcrowd your bottom IMO and make siphoning much harder on you , so try to restrain from overdoing it .

4. Your fish selection is simple and great. Discus number is OK . I would just like to advice not to go with small discus but to get biggest discus you can afford at the moment since you are about to keep them in a sandy bottom tank with decor and plants along.
i would start with min. 4 inch discus in here IIWY.

Hope to follow your progres and pics here Tindale.