PDA

View Full Version : Water changes

Tindale83
10-10-2016, 06:05 AM
Hi I have been looking at cheap ways to make daily water changes easy I have hound a device Calle python no spills. Has any body used this and if so who would you treat the tap water and how would you get the water to the tank temperature? Thanks

adrian31@outlook.com
10-10-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi yes I believe most people use this or the Aqueon water changer, which is basically the same thing as the Python. I use the Python water changer.

You need to treat your tap water so that it has the same parameters as your tank water or your fish will be affected; if there is a big difference the fish will become unhealthy and could die as a result. Discus are very sensitive fish.

It is best to age your tap water for 24 hours to allow the water PH to settle to what it will finally be. You should also be using an aerator or power head to remove gases. Before you transfer this water to your tank you need to treat with Seachem Prime (or other comparable product) to remove the harmful additives, and adjust temperature using an aquarium heater.

Filip
10-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Hi yes I believe most people use this or the Aqueon water changer, which is basically the same thing as the Python. I use the Python water changer.

You need to treat your tap water so that it has the same parameters as your tank water or your fish will be affected; if there is a big difference the fish will become unhealthy and could die as a result. Discus are very sensitive fish.

It is best to age your tap water for 24 hours to allow the water PH to settle to what it will finally be. You should also be using an aerator or power head to remove gases. Before you transfer this water to your tank you need to treat with Seachem Prime (or other comparable product) to remove the harmful additives, and adjust temperature using an aquarium heater.

+1 .

Ageing barell with an air stone or a power head or a wavemaker whatever you got in hand and a heater inside would be recomended.
Ageing water over night and putting Safe dechlor right prior the water change would be most appropriate way to prepare your water.

Tindale83
10-10-2016, 09:20 AM
I've read that u could hose the water straight from the tap and add water conditioner straight to the tank and if u run the water slow the heater would be able to warm the water. For about a 30% daily change. So is this all rubbish? Thanks

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Hi Tindale and welcome to Simply. Some people can do WCs straight from the tap but it depends on your water. Many people here age their water in a brute trash can or other food safe bin because the fish to not react well when the WC is done straight from the tap. Ph swings and dissolved gases in the water affect fish adversely and aging the water allows the ph to stabilize and the dissolved gases to dissipate.
Pat

Tindale83
10-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Hi Tindale and welcome to Simply. Some people can do WCs straight from the tap but it depends on your water. Many people here age their water in a brute trash can or other food safe bin because the fish to not react well when the WC is done straight from the tap. Ph swings and dissolved gases in the water affect fish adversely and aging the water allows the ph to stabilize and the dissolved gases to dissipate.
Pat
And

Thanks for the advise. Over the last two years my water OH is steady over the last year or so also a discus breeder I know tested my tap water and said it's nearly perfect. PH is slightly low. Think a like the idea of getting a barrel and gone that way so the temp is the same. Was hoping there was a easy way of changing 70-80 litres a day.

bluelagoon
10-10-2016, 11:49 AM
I age my water in a 75 gal barrel with an airstone.I use 2 buckets(3 gal.each) of hot water from the tap to heat my water just prior to a WC.6 gal. of hot water will heat that much water without changing my PH.We have just chlorine added to our water supply.I do not put dechlor in my aged water,it gets gassed off.The discus do not notice a water change.20 gal = 80 litres.Not sure how big your tank is but what I read it's about 55-60 gal. tank.I would up the WC's to at least 50% daily on a small tank depending on the bioload.

Neptune
10-10-2016, 07:47 PM
And

Thanks for the advise. Over the last two years my water OH is steady over the last year or so also a discus breeder I know tested my tap water and said it's nearly perfect. PH is slightly low. Think a like the idea of getting a barrel and gone that way so the temp is the same. Was hoping there was a easy way of changing 70-80 litres a day.

Man if your tap water is near perfect go for it! To adjust temp. just adjust right at the tap with hot and cold. That is as easy as it gets!
But if your tap pH is a little low, test it after aging some of it and see if it comes up a little.

Tindale83
10-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Thank for the input guys I have just bought a 120 tar heavy duty bucket and plan on ageing the water this way. A bought a pump and hose to get the water out and into the tank. Is it important to use an air stone in the barrels? I already have a heater in and the idea of something else that uses electric is gone to put the elec bill up

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Are you planning on running the pump to age the water? If yes run an airstone instead.
Pat

Tindale83
10-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Are you planning on running the pump to age the water? If yes run an airstone instead.
Pat

No I was just planing on using the pump to transfer the water from the barrel to the tank rather than using buckets

Altum Nut
10-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Pat

No I was just planing on using the pump to transfer the water from the barrel to the tank rather than using buckets

I already have a heater in and the idea of something else that uses electric is gone to put the elec bill up

Then yes...as Pat mentioned an air stone driven by a small low voltage air pump.

...Ralph