PDA

View Full Version : Discus Seems to Be Panicking on Bottom of Tank

Fishes
10-11-2016, 04:31 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I have two Discus in a 90 Gallon, They are about 4 1/2 inches each. They do odd stuff like twitching and flapping of their fins and body but apparently that's normal in Discus growing up. I've finally gotten them to eat something; FBW. But now one of them, the one that always seems a lot more stressed is sitting on the bottom of the tank rocking back and forth from breathing, obviously stressed out, but I don't know how to fix it.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

A bit faster breathing than normal, fins clamped to side, not swimming around, it's been having pale color but it seems as if the color is coming back in random blotches. It is also a bit skinny since it hasn't been eating much. Besides that, everything else seems fine.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Nothing. I don't want to try the wrong thing.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

90 Gallons has been up for about a few months now. 2 Discus about 4-5 inches the bigger one (colorful one) and 4 1/2 inches the smaller one. I also have a Bumblebee Catfish and a Whiptail Catfish who I have in there to eat their left overs which they do efficiently. I also have some weird kind of Salamander that seems fully aquatic that my brother put in there. I have no clue how it is still alive but it also eats my food. None of the other fish bother the Discus.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Every 2-4 days. Usually about 50%.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Maybe 4 months. Bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Umm.... I don't know what that is...

8. Parameters and water source;

I live in Louisiana, from a hose pipe on the side of my house. Last time I checked the Parameters were fine and I don't have very hard water neither.

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ~82-84F

- ph - Neutral usually

- ammonia reading -

- nitrite reading -

- nitrate reading -

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No.

Fishes
10-12-2016, 04:31 AM
I need someone to reply. I'm pretty sure that it's color coming back in but the fish also seems to be extremely lethargic. It's been swimming at a 45 degree angle and swims really slowly to the top and then slowly sinks back to the bottom. I know it isn't a Swim Bladder problem because it has control.

Fishes
10-12-2016, 09:29 AM
It's dead. I have no idea what happened. The "color" definitely wasn't color, it think it's blood. and now it is just doing the same thing as earlier, just still, and no breathing...

Fishes
10-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Well, once I figure out what happened to this one, does anyone know any breeder in the Southeastern area on here? I need some more Pigeon Bloods because I don't want my one to be by itself...

Fishes
10-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Can someone please reply soon? I would really like to know what the hell happened to this poor guy. He was just starting to eat too, and then just lost interest and this red blood popped up on him and he died.