PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to learn about Gill Fluke

Davidzil
10-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Wanted to get some clear info on Gill Fluke.

True or false:

*Most fish have gill fluke?
*Adult discus can manage with gill fluke?
*Proper treatment is to treat the whole tank?
*Temps above 85 will keep gill fluke managed in the tank?
*PP is the best treatment as a dip for gill fluke?
*Salt and above 85 degrees is the best treatment for the tank?
*Formalin 1 ml per 10 gallons is the best treatment for whole tank?
*Fluke tabs are the best treatment for the tank?
*If you keep Bristle nose plecos in the tank, will help with gill fluke?
*Praziquantel powder is the best treatment for the tank as a whole?
*Prazi-pro is the best treatment for the tank?
*Trichlorfon is the best treatment for the tank?
*Anti-Fluke Life Bearer is the best treatment for the tank?
*para-rid by sunrise tropicals is the best, even kills the eggs and is easy on the bio?

Davidzil
10-14-2016, 10:34 AM
? a slow mover

Davidzil
10-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Did I post in the wrong place?

Ryan925
10-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Did I post in the wrong place?

I'd say medicine cabinet and disease section although has a lot of views. I'd say nobody has read this thread yet that has answers to all those questions...

Schatz
10-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Adult discus can manage flukes as long as they're kept healthy, water changes, food etc. Optimum temperature for discus is 82. Medications I like to use are praziquantel and pp and I usually treat the whole tank.

Davidzil
10-15-2016, 10:51 AM
I think I know what the problem is with this post, for those who are just starting out in keeping discus, there is no silver bullet in respect to getting rid of Gill Flukes, unless you sterilize.

We are not talking about prevention here, part of the reason for doing QT, and large water changes as many here, given when removing large amounts of water you also remove a bunch of pests. Healthy active adult discus can cope with small number of pests.

We are just talking about different methods available for use.

And yes, to be sure you do have the Gill Flukes, you must be able to examine a sample trough a microscope. Otherwise as in most cases you are just guessing.

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2016, 11:19 AM
I would first confirm gull flukes by looking at a gill scrape under a microscope. No idea as to the best treatment to get rid of them.
Pat

Davidzil
10-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks Pat, the reason why I started this post is a lot of people are trying different products and quite confused. Assuming they even have gill flukes.

CliffsDiscus
10-18-2016, 01:15 PM
I have not used any meds for flukes
for over a 12 years, before that DMSO was
used pretty often.

Cliff

Davidzil
10-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Thanks Cliff, from what I see not too many people use DMSO now days, plus there is Prazi-pro.

DISCUS STU
10-18-2016, 04:32 PM
I've never done gill scrapes but if I think there's a strong indicator for gill flukes I've used PraziPro, which is essentially liquid Praziquantel. It's relatively mild and even at double strength doesn't seem to be a problem. I generally treat for 10 days, though in my email to Hikari (the manufacturer of PraziPro) they recommend 7 days. This way all existing gill flukes and their offspring that aren't killed by the initial treatment should also be eradicated before they can breed.

Other people use Potassium Permanganate but as far as I know this will wipe out your bio filter along with flukes and can be a little hard to control and get right, at least for me. I once wiped out a full 90 gal. tank of Discus with this stuff so it needs to be used carefully.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?125033-Can-Potassium-Permanganate-Expire

Davidzil
10-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Yes Stu, agree.
Yes, I used PP before and it is great and easy as a dip, but then you need a clean environment to do the transfer to.
Did use it on the whole tank to sterilize it, before adding anything to the tank, otherwise as stated would do damage tot he bio.

this thread didn't quite worked as envisioned lol

DISCUS STU
10-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Yes Stu, agree.
Yes, I used PP before and it is great and easy as a dip, but then you need a clean environment to do the transfer to.
Did use it on the whole tank to sterilize it, before adding anything to the tank, otherwise as stated would do damage tot he bio.

this thread didn't quite worked as envisioned lol

There are people that swear by pp and you can see that if you follow the thread I supplied. It's tricky stuff but under the right circumstances it does seem controllable.

Jimmy k
11-05-2016, 04:52 PM
After i took off the discus babies from their parents the tank was a little dirty..
The parents started scratching their gill on the breeding pipe and their one eye was a little cloudy...is it gill flukes or sme other disease to dem??
Wat treatment shud i giv dem..
Please help..

Filip
11-05-2016, 08:31 PM
After i took off the discus babies from their parents the tank was a little dirty..
The parents started scratching their gill on the breeding pipe and their one eye was a little cloudy...is it gill flukes or sme other disease to dem??
Wat treatment shud i giv dem..
Please help..

Jimmy , guessing a disease and perscribing meds. to some discus without any info . or pics / video is very ungratefull and irresponsible task to do.

Please post this as a thread in the emergency room and fill out the disease questionarry form , and provide as much info and pics/ videos as you can .
It would be much easier for others to help you that way .