PDA

View Full Version : Converting Reef to Planted Discus

petem8
10-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi everyone,

So recently i've been thinking of converting my 6x2x2 from a reef to a planted discus tank. I've kept tropical & cichlids on and off for ~8 or so years but only ever kept 1 discus during that time. Have been keeping marine for the past 4 or so years. I've just finished watching Al's video on how to keep discus which has led me here to hopefully get some insight on what equipment to sell off and what to buy.

The aim is to have minimal short plants alongside some driftwood pieces, possibly plants like java moss and nothing that is too tall or dense.

Currently the tank is reef with the follow equipment:

Maxspect R420R 300W 16K LED light
2x MP40W ES Wavemakers
2x 200W heaters
Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer
Phosban Reactor
Return pump
Dosing pumps
Auto top off system
RO/DI filter

So i know for starters that the skimmer is redundant as would be the phosban reactor. I don't know a lot about light requirements for plants as i never really kept any so would this light do and/or what alternatives are there for a 6ft tank (preferably led). I also know the flow requirements aren't nearly as large as what the requirements for a reef are so i'm thinking to keep them on just a low setting as the tank is still 6ft long and needs some movement. Would there be any using for dosing pumps, as Al said you don't really need to use additives but would my RO/DI remove anything beneficial for discus/plants?

Other things would be what type of substrate would look aesthetic but also beneficial for plants, i've seen sand used but i highly doubt the coral sand i have is any good to use and the brown soil just isn't that pleasant.

DiscusRob
10-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Welcome Peter, first off, I'm like you finally getting started with discus, watching Al's video is an awesome start as is coming here, there is a great group of people here who are more than willing to jump in and share their knowledge, what worked for them, what didn't, etc....Don't be afraid to ask. Like you I'm coming from a Cichlid(Lake Victoria)/Marine tank background. I'm working with a smaller tank:o then you (75). There are several good stickies here to read.

First off are you planning on buying adults or growing out smaller discus? If growing out I'd go bare bottom, easier to keep clean. If purchasing adults, pool filter sand is nice, I like the look a lot. As you said, lose the skimmer and reactor, the lights I can not help there, don't know enough yet.

Plants and Discus for beginners is not recommended, unless you've done each before, I've read here that it can be quite a challenge that often ends in failure for the noob, unless buying adults, and then the odds of success do increase.

RO/DI unit would/can be useful, depends on your current water out the tap/aged readings and what your ultimate goal with discus is ie show/breeding/display.

Again, welcome to the forum, hope I've helped some with this long winded post.

petem8
10-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I've been browsing some of the stickies and have noticed a lot of people recommend not going with plants but i would like to try as it is the main display in the living room. As far as plants go, it would be nothing major, infact i may just limit it to java moss or any sort of carpeting type of plant that is similar and low profile.

As discus go, they would be adults, not fully grown obviously but no where near smaller sizes. At the same time, i don't want to overcrowd the tank with plants so they would be kept to a minimum.

Being a display i want to keep the tds to a low to reduce cleaning as often in comparison to straight tap water.

Oh and by pool filter sand, is there anything i have to look out for such as silica, etc? I know using sand from a hardware store in marine applications could/often would lead to algae blooms.

discuspaul
10-16-2016, 12:17 PM
If you go with pool filter sand, you should be able to find it at any pool or spa supply store. It may also be available at times at some of the big box stores. If you get it from a big box store, just be sure it is true PFS (and not any type of play or other sands) - PFS is an inert, usually quartz-based, silica sand - in #20 or #30 grade density. It's usually available in 2 or more shades of beige/tan/light brown; white; & less commonly in a rosy/pinkish hue, or light greyish - & costs between $10. & $15. for a 50 lb. bag.

Here's a couple of examples available @ amazon.com:
HTH & Aqua Quartz (The HTH may also be available at ACE stores)

https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Filter-Sand-Grade-Silica/dp/B00JJ5GXSK

petem8
10-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks for that info paul, definitely clears that up now.

Ryan925
10-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I've been browsing some of the stickies and have noticed a lot of people recommend not going with plants but i would like to try as it is the main display in the living room. As far as plants go, it would be nothing major, infact i may just limit it to java moss or any sort of carpeting type of plant that is similar and low profile.

As discus go, they would be adults, not fully grown obviously but no where near smaller sizes. At the same time, i don't want to overcrowd the tank with plants so they would be kept to a minimum.

Being a display i want to keep the tds to a low to reduce cleaning as often in comparison to straight tap water.

Oh and by pool filter sand, is there anything i have to look out for such as silica, etc? I know using sand from a hardware store in marine applications could/often would lead to algae blooms.

Java moss can easily be attached to driftwood. Carpeting plants would make it very difficult to keep bottom of tank clean. Also discus love to graze the bottom for food.

I just switched my tank from being moderately planted to hardscape only. Just manzanita and sand. I like it much better and so do the fish.

You can still have plants like Java moss, Java fern, anubias, etc to give you that planted look but have them attached to wood so the tank is more easily cleaned.

petem8
10-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Ah yes, i should of been clearer on that one but definitely will try and keep them attached to driftwood only.

Doing a quick search for sand, it seems to be a lot harder to find down here in Aus, this is one of the only ones i can seem to find but it doesn't offer much information other than grade 6.5 https://www.poolpro.com.au/products/filter-sand-grade-65-20kg-detail

DiscusRob
10-16-2016, 12:58 PM
read the msds sheet, I'm certain others here know more, but I didn't see anything that would stand in your way of using it. Let some others chime in before you go out and order it.:):)

Ryan925
10-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Ah yes, i should of been clearer on that one but definitely will try and keep them attached to driftwood only.

Doing a quick search for sand, it seems to be a lot harder to find down here in Aus, this is one of the only ones i can seem to find but it doesn't offer much information other than grade 6.5 https://www.poolpro.com.au/products/filter-sand-grade-65-20kg-detail

As long as it's pool filter sand it should be fine. Pfs needs to be inert so that it does not affect pool water chemistry.

discuspaul
10-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Looks like the proper type of product for aquarium use.
6.5 means nothing to me in terms of grit size - couldn't locater a suitable conversion chart.
If the sand is not very fine & dusty, it should be ok.

petem8
10-17-2016, 09:19 AM
From the msds sheet it does say that it is quartz, i may just contact them for further information about the grain size.

Would anyone be able to add some info about plant lighting, things like what type of lighting periods would plants such as java moss, java fern, anubias require, what intensity of light or just any good links would be appreciated.

Filip
10-18-2016, 10:01 AM
From the msds sheet it does say that it is quartz, i may just contact them for further information about the grain size.

Would anyone be able to add some info about plant lighting, things like what type of lighting periods would plants such as java moss, java fern, anubias require, what intensity of light or just any good links would be appreciated.

PFS sand should be whiteish Quartz silica based (SiO2) sand with grain size 0.3 - 0.8 mm . I think that's grade #30 in US standards.

As for light. With that plant selection in mind you can use very little light . 80 lumens per gallon would be a good start for those plants.
Here is an very informative link about lights , coming from a plant proffesionalls. And lots of other useful basics about plant keeping too:
http://tropica.com/en/guide/make-your-aquarium-a-success/light/

petem8
10-18-2016, 10:41 AM
PFS sand should be whiteish Quartz silica based (SiO2) sand with grain size 0.3 - 0.8 mm . I think that's grade #30 in US standards.

As for light. With that plant selection in mind you can use very little light . 80 lumens per gallon would be a good start for those plants.
Here is an very informative link about lights , coming from a plant proffesionalls. And lots of other useful basics about plant keeping too:
http://tropica.com/en/guide/make-your-aquarium-a-success/light/

Thank you for that. I may be able to get away with my current light then as the blue and white leds can be controlled individually. If it doesn't work out i may go for two fluval a3991 46W which i've read people have had good success with.