PDA

View Full Version : Planted 120cmx45x45

JGSLA
10-18-2016, 06:26 PM
New to the forum posting my planted tank.
Soon to house (6) 3.5" Altum Floras.
So I would love feed back if there is an thoughts.

Tank 48"x18"x18"
CO2 injected with sand substrate and Aquasoil at planted islands with Manzanita Driftwood.

scrappinjaime
10-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Very nice!

BrenMurphy
10-19-2016, 05:42 AM
Very impressive, like the different depths of the substrate in the 2nd and 3rd images. Has a simple organic feel to it. Well done!

Second Hand Pat
10-19-2016, 06:33 AM
Hi Jeffrey and welcome to the forum. First off it is a lovely tank but I have a recommendation for you on the discus. If this is your first go with discus please consider raising them in a different tank and add them to this tank later as adults/sub-adults. Discus require several feeding a day plus daily water changes to grow properly and they can dirty a tank in a heartbeat. You will find trying to grow them out in this tank a much harder tank vs a bare bottom tank. Do some research here on the forum before committing to your current plan.
Pat

jmf3460
10-19-2016, 09:17 AM
that hydrocotly is huge!! beautiful and different scape for a planted tank. I do echo Pats advice on possibly trying your first bout of discus in a different tank. Your choice of plants is awesome but I know from experience that a lot of detritus, poo and dirt can get hung up in the extensive root/rhizome systems of the plants you have chosen. it is a beautiful tank though I must say, a very different approach to a planted tank. I love the lighting.

SWOrange
10-19-2016, 11:31 AM
What is the light green "lilly" looking plant on the top? Is that the hydrocotly jmf3460 referred to? Love it.

farebox
10-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Lovely looking planted tank my friend, but I would not put any small size discus in it, trust me you will asking for failure with the fish. Maybe go with 5"+ size discus fish were as you don't have to feed so much and do water changed daily.

JGSLA
10-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Yes that is Hydrocotyle verticllata or Penny Wort.

Davidzil
10-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Nice job on the layout!

That plant looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centella_asiatica

I wouldn't get the Pennyworth (Centella Asiatica) going with higher temp and softer water, might try again.

Filip
10-20-2016, 03:23 AM
Welcome aboard Jeffrey.

I will just copy what others had said already on both accounts .
First is , that this is a very beautiful and nicely done aqua scape , and the second , that it would be best to put already grown discus in here to avoid potential diseases and failures .
Good luck with your decision and your new discus .
I would love to see pics and updates from whatever you'll come up with here.

Markz
10-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Wow beautiful tank! Cant wait to see it filled with Discus.

JGSLA
10-31-2016, 08:03 PM

JGSLA
10-31-2016, 08:13 PM
I purchased these Rose Red Discus through Kenny after "discus"ing peoples concerns from the SD Forum about my planted tank and he steered me away from the Album Floras and he felt that these were more active and better eaters and would be a better match with my planted tank. These are pictures at day 5 they are very happy and acclimated I have not had previous experience but it seems like the planted tank has helped with the process as they can hide and they are eating out of my hand. I am running the temp at 80 Degrees and they are very active.
Thanks for all of the feed back so far so good!

Filip
10-31-2016, 08:48 PM
Jeffrey they look great in there .Very nice selection of single stain rose red discus .
I love the Verticulata forest and your pinnatifida emersed grow. Your Hydrocotle V. really went overboard in your tank :)
Bump up your temperatures to min. of 82 F , or you may further compromise your discus health with low temps.
Good luck raising them in a planted tank Jeffrey .
All i can advise you further regarding this matter is to maximize your WC regime to minimize the compromising factors of the unfriendly enviroment for your discus.
And dont forget to update us with pics of this beauty . :)

pastry
10-31-2016, 09:57 PM
OMG... awesome. Loooove the single brown based red choice, layout, and contrast of simple green plants with the red. Green plants make those strains pop. Great decisions cosmetically all around... not over done... and not under. Little concerned on tank size but that's it.

jmf3460
11-01-2016, 08:22 AM
dang that hydrocotyl is doing so good for you, what light are you running? it really loves your light

JGSLA
11-01-2016, 02:07 PM
The lights are LED's from GLA or Green Leaf Aquarium. I got them on sale as they were closing them out but they have been great. I think they no longer sell them but they might be able to connect you some how??? I believe that the plants are a bit happy as I do use CO2 and EI fertilizer. It has been the best for keeping algae at bay. I have had my battles and it always revolves around my CO2 usually. The lights are quite bright and most of my research has been that Discus are not so happy with bright lights. They seem to go in and out of the light with not to much worry but half of the tank surface is covered with the Pennywort or Hydrcotyl which I am taking a machete to about every 2 weeks I have to be careful now that I have bigger fish as I swing!
I have been doing 50% WC every 2-3 days and I did bump the temp up to 82 for all those concerned! They are happy and creating there pecking order so to speak.

Filip
11-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Green leaf aquarium is a famous brand for plants and plant accesories , so i would guess that your light is perfectly fine-tuned for growing any aquatic plants .
As for the bright light , dont worry too much about it because on the list of discus stressors IMO its much lower than the water quality , Co2 use and daily ph shifts with it , EI fertilizers , gravel and filters cleanness and maintenance etc.etc. Discus can get used to bright lights plus you have a surface filled with floaters that are keeping shade for them .

JGSLA
12-19-2016, 09:13 PM
After 2 months to the day after my first post in October 4 of my Rose Red Discus are paired and have laid eggs! 105162105164

Filip
12-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Great news Jeffrey .
Please put a pic of the whole tank and other discus as well for us to see the progress on plants and discus.
P.s. if your water in tank is very soft +-50 ppm TDS you may have free swimmers in a while .

jmf3460
12-20-2016, 04:55 PM
+1 for FTS update

two utes
12-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Awesome looking tank Jeffery. I really like how you ran the inlet and outlet pipes through your bench top with what looks like stainless steel pipe. Very clean
I'm also looking forward to more updated pics.

Clawhammer
12-20-2016, 05:28 PM
So how many fish have you lost to jumping from the tank? I think I hear one of my discus hit their head on my tank cover daily, having my tank uncovered like this would have me in constant paranoia.

That being said, this is one of the best looking minimalist planted tanks I have seen. Your discus look great in there, would love to see updated pics.

JGSLA
12-21-2016, 08:53 PM
No jumpers yet! I have lost my other Rummy Nose Tetras as the discus are quick moving and tend to scare my other fish now and then to jump. I had some wigglers from one of the mating pairs that hatched and eggs that were developing with the other mating pair and they were all gone this AM I'm not sure who got hungry or over taking care of the eggs and young but I think they are all gone! I will try for a FTS had to look that one up, Full tank shot soon! I have been doing 50% Water changes about every 2nd or 3rd day with happy fish so far.

Phillydubs
12-22-2016, 03:19 AM
+1 on that tank shot! Love the single strain red look as well. How big were the fish when you purchased them? What size would you say they are at now ?

JGSLA
12-22-2016, 04:47 PM
They were 3-3.5" They have grown I'm guessing 4-4.25" I will try to measure them some one wanted an over all shot but it was during the day so you can get context of the tank and the room. I have included a shot. I will try to post one soon of the fish.

LoGeek
12-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Nice looking open tank!

What kind of window is that to the right? Does it open like a garage door? Are those common in the states?

Phillydubs
12-26-2016, 05:06 PM
I don't think that is a window, I think it is the garage! Lol... At least that is what I assumed it was or like an out door shed or structure for plant storage . Awesome you have the sink so close!!

Filip
12-27-2016, 01:42 PM
They were 3-3.5" They have grown I'm guessing 4-4.25" I will try to measure them some one wanted an over all shot but it was during the day so you can get context of the tank and the room. I have included a shot. I will try to post one soon of the fish.

Excellent looking open top tank Jeffrey. I especially like the emersed look of your hydrocotyle jungle .
Neat and fancy tank overall , in every single detail .

BJK
12-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Love the tank! Also love the room! Can we see more pictures of the whole space? I'm intrigued!

JGSLA
01-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Yes that is a glass garage door. I live in my garage I call it the "G Room" kind of like Gee this is a nice garage! I had custom cabinets made with all of my canister filter and CO2 below. and someone commented on the pipes they are stainless steel. I also used the garage track to suspend my pendant lights off of. My third pair of discus just played eggs last night after my previous pairs ate their eggs I think they are all happy or maybe the tank is just too sexy! 105520

JGSLA
01-04-2017, 05:12 PM

Filip
01-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Great pics JGSLA . Good luck with your spawn .
What's your TDS ? Any chance of expecting wrigglers?

Jack L
01-06-2017, 07:19 PM
just found this thread.
it looks awesome. my only concern is no top and jumpers

pastry
01-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Not sure why but seems to me red based browns are consistently more protective parents in community tank than others. A bit ambiguous but does that seem to be true? I consider that true if they get to several days of free swimmers while cheating with leaving a light on. Funny thing is, my strongest parents were stunted PB female with RT MALE (equally EXTREMELY protective... even had success with freeswimmers after light out).

JGSLA
01-07-2017, 11:06 PM
I have had wigglers for a day before the parents ate them! This last round I was on day 4-5 and the parents ate the eggs! These are Rose Reds and they are very attentive parents I'm not sure if they are just young and getting a hang of it?

I have not had a problem with the discus jumping out of my tank but I have lost a few of my other fish Rummy Nose Tetras and my most recent additions Shelie Lampeye's! They have been spooked by how fast the Discus dart about when spooked.

JGSLA
01-07-2017, 11:13 PM
I have some recent photo's, some feeding.105634

JGSLA
01-07-2017, 11:17 PM