PDA

View Full Version : Blue Scorpions vs. Blue Diamonds

adrian31@outlook.com
10-19-2016, 09:23 AM
Hello all,

I'm searching for the most common differences between the Blue Scorpions and Blue Diamonds.

I placed on online order for ten Discus for my 180 gallon, and ordered three Blue Diamonds since I think they are usually a deeper blue color. But because these were out of stock, I substituted Blue Scorpions (4.5"-5"). I talked to the breeder and he said this batch of Scorpions is a deep blue and comparable or better than Blue Diamonds.

Anyone have any experience with these two breeds and how they differ nowadays?

Thanks,
Kenny

DISCUS STU
10-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Hey Kenny. Blue Diamonds are solid fish that specifically will not display any barring pattern or "stress bars". Blue Scorpions generally have a Blue Diamond parent but another type of parent that isn't, I've read a Snakeskin parent, and of course won't be a completely solid colored fish.

It depends on what you're going after. Given the right care both are beautiful, and btw there are a few different types of hues and shades to the Blue Diamonds. I'm a big fan of BD's.

Here's a link to this forum re Scorpions...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97044-what-makes-a-discus-a-scorpion

Ryan925
10-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Both are very nice fish imo. The BD will be a solid blue. Yes hue of blue will vary. The scorpion will show some sort of pattern. Usually spots

adrian31@outlook.com
10-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm excited to get them. On the website it shows a photo of what must be the parents - one solid blue and the other looks like a snakeskin, and then a short video of the offspring - solid light blue with some spotty patterns. Looks good to me.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Ok yes this is what the video on their site shows. They appear to be light blue but I hope they get darker as they age. They're supposed to be 4.5" - 5" right now.

gunnerschh2
10-19-2016, 12:49 PM
I have a b saffire, bd & bs. The bs has a clean body [which i wanted ] but lines in the face & color on top fin which is my favorate the other two can be darker at times.

Ryan925
10-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Ok yes this is what the video on their site shows. They appear to be light blue but I hope they get darker as they age. They're supposed to be 4.5" - 5" right now.

I would go look at the strain catalogue and picture sections of the forum. I think that seeing pics of members fish gives you a better idea. The colors of the fish will really vary depending on lighting.

I see a lot of online photos where it seems lighting is manipulated to give a desired "look".

Depending on my led lighting spectrum at any given time the look of my fish will really vary.

Here is a pic of my bss/bs cross102818

Ryan
10-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Blue Scorpions are Blue Diamonds crossed with Snakeskins. Sometimes they turn solid blue with snake patterning on the gills and fins, sometimes they end up being blue fish with full body striation. They will have 14 bars like snakes while Blue Diamonds are barless.

adrian31@outlook.com
10-19-2016, 09:59 PM
I would go look at the strain catalogue and picture sections of the forum. I think that seeing pics of members fish gives you a better idea. The colors of the fish will really vary depending on lighting.

I see a lot of online photos where it seems lighting is manipulated to give a desired "look".

Depending on my led lighting spectrum at any given time the look of my fish will really vary.

Here is a pic of my bss/bs cross102818

This one is beautiful:)

adrian31@outlook.com
10-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Blue Scorpions are Blue Diamonds crossed with Snakeskins. Sometimes they turn solid blue with snake patterning on the gills and fins, sometimes they end up being blue fish with full body striation. They will have 14 bars like snakes while Blue Diamonds are barless.

Ok, I guess I'll see what mine look like next week when they arrive. I'll post pictures after I get everything set up.

Ryan925
10-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Ok, I guess I'll see what mine look like next week when they arrive. I'll post pictures after I get everything set up.

Look forward to seeing them once they settle. Give them a little time to settle in and display their true color.

It's been fun watching mine mature and get their color and pattern. Getting yours at the size you are they should already have nice pattern and coloring.