PDA

View Full Version : Auto-matic feeders

Royalbluewilds420
10-22-2016, 07:11 PM
What are the best types of auto-matic feeders for your discus? Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you

two utes
10-22-2016, 07:22 PM
l like the one l have because l can control the amount of feeds per day, and mix it up with different granules. I've had it for many years, and it hasn't skipped a beat.
I'm currently using it every day to drop one load of granules around mid day, but re set it for two feeds a day when away on my trips.
In this photo its set for 3 feeds indicated by the 3 red tabs

Royalbluewilds420
10-22-2016, 08:11 PM
l like the one l have because l can control the amount of feeds per day, and mix it up with different granules. I've had it for many years, and it hasn't skipped a beat.
I'm currently using it every day to drop one load of granules around mid day, but re set it for two feeds a day when away on my trips.
In this photo its set for 3 feeds indicated by the 3 red tabs

Awesome! Where did you get it? And how much do they run? I work midshift a lot so I don't want my Discus to miss out on any afternoon feedings while I'm gone.

LizStreithorst
10-22-2016, 08:22 PM
I've used that one. I prefer the Eheim feeder.

two utes
10-22-2016, 08:44 PM
Awesome! Where did you get it? And how much do they run? I work midshift a lot so I don't want my Discus to miss out on any afternoon feedings while I'm gone.

I purchased it off Ebay many years ago. I think l paid around $35.00 Australian. I think l've got my money's worth

two utes
10-22-2016, 08:47 PM

This one Liz?

LizStreithorst
10-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Yes, that one. The one you are using is good. This one is better.

hdhong
10-24-2016, 07:56 AM

+1 I've also currently using the Eheim Auto-matic Feeder as well. I've had the Eheim over 5 years now and haven't failed on me at all.

jmf3460
10-24-2016, 09:16 AM
+2 I also use Eheim automatic, the same as the picture above, have been feeding Al's loose biopigment plus worms in it for a year with never one single problem. I find the biopigment plus loose worms do better in the feeder because they are slightly smaller in size than the loose regulars. I open the little hole as big as it will go and feed my fish two feedings during the day when I'm at work. I let mine do to turns (you can choose whether you want it to turn once or twice) and I think two turns with the hole all the way open is probably the same as one cube.

two utes
10-24-2016, 04:29 PM
+2 I also use Eheim automatic, the same as the picture above, have been feeding Al's loose biopigment plus worms in it for a year with never one single problem. I find the biopigment plus loose worms do better in the feeder because they are slightly smaller in size than the loose regulars. I open the little hole as big as it will go and feed my fish two feedings during the day when I'm at work. I let mine do to turns (you can choose whether you want it to turn once or twice) and I think two turns with the hole all the way open is probably the same as one cube.

Thanks Jacklyn. That's really good information. As much as l like mine l can't feed them Freeze Dried Black Worms in it.....might be worth getting one of those also.

Captcomm
10-24-2016, 04:48 PM
I have never had any other automatic feeder other the my ehiem but I can attest to its durability. A few months back when I was doing a water change (because what else what else would I do with my spare time) the feeder came loose after I bumped it. I pulled it out and of course it stoped working so after setting it of to the side thinking it was toast

jmf3460
10-24-2016, 08:36 PM
I have never had any other automatic feeder other the my ehiem but I can attest to its durability. A few months back when I was doing a water change (because what else what else would I do with my spare time) the feeder came loose after I bumped it. I pulled it out and of course it stoped working so after setting it of to the side thinking it was toast

is there more to this post

Neptune
10-25-2016, 12:08 PM
I use the Eheim as well. I knocked it in the tank last month. Dried it out for a couple days, still working!!

pitdogg2
10-25-2016, 12:55 PM
So do you folks feed when the tank is dark? I have mine on timers and they come on when I get home from work 5pm and go off at 12a.m and 2a.m.. When I try feeding while the lights are off it just gets sucked into the filters.

Neptune
10-25-2016, 02:07 PM
So do you folks feed when the tank is dark? I have mine on timers and they come on when I get home from work 5pm and go off at 12a.m and 2a.m.. When I try feeding while the lights are off it just gets sucked into the filters.

I feed during the day with lights out, but lots of ambient light in the room. I also feed things like FDBW at night when I'm home with the lights on.

pitdogg2
10-25-2016, 02:24 PM
I feed during the day with lights out, but lots of ambient light in the room. I also feed things like FDBW at night when I'm home with the lights on.

OK I see that. My room has no light until they come on.

hdhong
10-25-2016, 03:42 PM

I have my light on a timer to turn on at 7am feeding, then off at 9am, then feed at 1pm with the light off since the ambient light in the room is bright enough, then the light would turn on at 2pm. When I get home at 6pm I would feed them then do the water change. After that the light would be off at 8pm until the next day. I have a pre-filter sponge on the intake of my filter, so the food doesn't get suck up into the filter. Normally it would get stuck on the pre-filter sponge then my discus would pick off the sponge as well.

pamdb33
10-25-2016, 03:52 PM
I use this feeder https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Automatic-Fish-Feeder-Timer/dp/B005U87CZI

It offers 4 feeding times, with the option of 1 or 2 rotations per feed. I use it to feed FDBW during the day while I'm at work. The lights don't come on at the same time, but I have a LED desk lamp with a clip that is on the tank all the time as a night light.

DISCUS STU
10-25-2016, 03:55 PM
The one I use is the Grässlin Rondomatic 400 Auto Feeder which is gravity fed hopper type that has 27 heated cells.

This was the best one I've found even though a bit on the expensive side at $60 usd per. I have a few of them but the last I checked this was no longer in production. Hopefully someone picked it up, it really was the best.

Since becoming a member of this forum I don't use them as much as I used to as I've learned that my fish, or I should say my water quality, can fare better without being fed during my longer absences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OelihXTrlNc