PDA

View Full Version : Sneaker Heads...?

Phillydubs
10-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Calling all SNEAKER HEADS!

Anyone a fish/discus lover and a fan of wearing, collecting and loving cool sneakers?

Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Under Armour... JORDANS?

I am a big sneaker guy... Mostly Jordans, some Nike's and Air Max and I can't help myself with a pair of classic Adidas here and there...

I have loved shoes since I was a kid and my Jordan collection goes back to about 7th grade I would say... This was about the time I was "rollin in the dough" with my ever growing paper route!

My dad never got me the expensive shoes. he always went performance over cool. I had some great shoes to play ball in but they were never the high priced shoe of the era, usually Jordan's.

Once I started to make my own money as a kid thats what I went to... Sneakers and Fish! Haha...

Anyone else?

DiscusRob
10-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Reeboks and Nike here, mainly the running shoes, and the old standby Reebok white court shoe.

Phillydubs
10-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Cool Rob, thanks for chiming in...

Any fun sneaker stories, memories, collector moments. Or do you jsut buy what you think is cool and wear them and when its time for new ones, repeat the process?

DiscusRob
10-26-2016, 10:44 AM
I've scored my last 2 pair inexpensively, The reeboks I'm currently working my way through scored them at the flea market for 5 bucks, very low mileage, I mean very low. The pair of Nike, a buddy works at the 7-11 up the street he had to be in early for him, 8 pm, found them by the vacuum in the parking lot, brought them home and the fit me, cool, again, no mileage on them, found out a couple days later while out by my kid a pair of shoes and the nikes he brought home retail at over a 100.00, talk about scoring.:):)

brewmaster15
10-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Cool Rob, thanks for chiming in...

Any fun sneaker stories, memories, collector moments. Or do you jsut buy what you think is cool and wear them and when its time for new ones, repeat the process? I got one for you.:devil:

I keep snakes as pets and have for years. One snake I had as a pet was very small species of Brown snakes... called DeKay's Snake ( Storeria dekayi) These are fairly common in CT and I lucked out and found a real hot spot near my university. They are small gentle non-venemous snakes that eat worms and slugs. At most they get about 15 inches long. I really enjoyed keeping that little fellow and had it for several month until it got out of its cage... I looked everywhere for it..No luck. A few weeks went by and I didnt find it, so gave up. Was heading out for some field classes and grabbed my hiking sneakers and threw them in the car, drove off. Picked up a couple of classmates and started driving. One of them, can't remember who, let out a scream that almost sent me off the road. She found my lost Dekays Snake as it poked its head out of my hiking sneakers.:)

al

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Pumas for me :D

My daughter bought my first pair when I was still working and I loved the things. It was like wearing a pair of bedroom slippers to work...so comfy. On my third pair.
Pat

Ryan925
10-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Definitely an a school shell toe guy. Actually the first shoes I bought my son when he could walk were shells. As of late definitely air max.

bluelagoon
10-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Adidas feel cheap and make my feet hurt.I like New Balance.

rickztahone
10-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Funny topic for me because growing up, I was so adamant about my shoes being pristine and "no one better step on my shoes" attitude. I used to have 12 colors worth of Timberlands in the 9th grade, all of which I made working at a graveyard shift newspaper assembling facility that my friends dad worked at. I also had the Adidas/Jordan's/Nike's and then something happened...I had kids. My kids, or daughter I should say because my son wasn't born at the time, she would almost intentionally dirty my shoes, as if she knew how much they meant to me.

After a while, I stopped caring. Now you can find me working out or playing ball with shoes that I would never had dreamed of playing with a decade ago. To be quite honest, I love it! I have (had I should say, I left them at the gym last week accidentally) some Roshe's that I painted my whole room with until I realized I had splattered paint all over them. I didn't care, and I didn't care that I didn't care, lol.

With ALL of this said, I still appreciate great looking shoes. I just know if I buy them, I will never look out for them as I used to.

Dress shoes on the other hand....

pitdogg2
10-26-2016, 12:24 PM
I was a Ast. Manager for footlocker many yrs ago. Lets just say that I could wear a different pair of shoes everyday and not wear the same pair twice in one year. I wish I had several of certain pairs because they were just that comfortable. I was there when Reebok came out I wish i had bought stock in the early days I could of cashed in BIGTIME. I was also there when Jordans first came out if I had a pair of all those first's I'd be very well off it looks like. I never bought any Jordans as the didn't fit my feet well, but hindsight is truly 20/20 I should of. Sadly many brands do not hold up well to time, many super hot brands fade away into obscurity. Anyone remember Ellesse? they are still around in name only but that is about it. Many of the first generation Avia's I wished I had multiple pairs just fit my foot so well. I still have a pair of Adidas patent leather top tens. I paid top dollar for them 30+ yrs ago never wore them and they are still sweet shoes but that polyurethane tongue they used is sticky as a fly trap:)

yep those were the days:sun:

RogueDiscus
10-26-2016, 12:36 PM
I have narrow feet and always had trouble finding shoes that fit well. My oldest daughter worked at an athletic shoe shop for a while and bought me a pair of Brooks Adrenaline running shoes. They were great and that's what I've bought ever since.

brewmaster15
10-26-2016, 02:14 PM
I like New Balance for my day to day.. Hikers I usually go with Merrill or Timberlands.

Took this pic a while back of my kids sneakers, call the photo, "Sibling Rivalry":)

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8703/17065405086_4422f0a953_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/s11Eob)Sibling Rivalry (https://flic.kr/p/s11Eob)

warblad79
10-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Nike free that's pretty much I wear everyday.

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Cute Al, looks like an "agree to disagree" situation.

Phillydubs
10-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Warblad - nike free are a fave of mine as well! So very comfy!

I will not even begin then to tell ya'll about my sneaker crazyness... You guys will think I am nuts...

Lines, in store and online raffles - ebay battles - trades, you name it... insanity

Altum Nut
10-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Al...your kids have good taste in footwear.
I was always a Nike guy during my teen years but now will alternate and add in New Balance and Asics.
If I could wear runners 24/7 I would and normally do..but unfortunately formal outings it leaves me no other option. Heck I wear runners throughout the winter months.
Timberland in dark tan are for my casual outings.

...Ralph

Poppa Ryno
10-26-2016, 10:34 PM
Im a nike free guy as well.