PDA

View Full Version : Water quality not what I was hoping for

ChrisUSVI
10-26-2016, 11:11 PM
I've been part of the forms for some time now(6 months) but don't post often because I was going thought a move from the Virgin Islands back state side. Well we just finished the move and now we are on the gulf coast of Florida. I've had several reef tanks while I was living down island and enjoyed them. One of the new challenges I wanted for myself within the hobby was raising and at some point breeding discus. Unfortunately we were unable to find a house that fit my family's needs by the time we needed to move here. So we are currently in a 8 month lease to give us more time to find a house to fit our needs. To get to the point I ran a water test today on the tap water at the house we are currently in. The results of these test weren't exactly to die for. The water tested straight out of the tap without aging was 7.6ph and 200-220 ppm KH, after 6 hours of aging the PH went up to 8.4. 48 hours later and the PH made it all the way up to 8.7, from my understanding this is unbearable for discus. My goal in this 8 month period was to raise 20 to 30 juveniles and hope to come out with 3 to 4 breeding pairs. Are my hopes even realistic with my water parameters?

rickztahone
10-27-2016, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't say it is unbearable but it is rather high. Are you set on setting up the tank right now seeing as you will be moving in a few months? Moving tanks is a hassle

ChrisUSVI
10-27-2016, 06:51 AM
The only reason I would like to setup a tank now is so I can get a head start on growing out the juveniles. I kind of feel that my water parameters would just stunt their growth and would be counter productive at the end of the day. Also since I'm on a short term lease I can't justify installing a RO system. Once we do find a house one of the first things I plan on doing is installing a RO system. I'm starting to lean towards waiting till my family and myself are in a more permanent residence.

RogueDiscus
10-27-2016, 01:22 PM
I would agree with Ricardo that your water isn't that bad. I'm on a well with tds over 400ppm, and pH over 8. I cut it with RO to about 200 ppm for grow outs and adults, and much lower for breeding, and I never touch the pH. I breed in the same pH. The prevailing wisdom here is that discus need stable, not necessarily low pH, which was the old thought.

Pices
10-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Hi Chris,
I'm also on the gulf side of Florida. Welcome from Port Charlotte. I'm fairly new to Discus myself so I dont have any advice, just wanted to wish you luck in finding a great home for your family and your tank.
Fortunately, our city water is 7.4 out of the tap, so don't worry yet. Now I'll have to take a ph meter with me if I ever think about moving. Discus fever-once it gets you it doesn't go away!