PDA

View Full Version : New Leopard babies are Dark

lynn999
10-27-2016, 10:19 PM
I don't know if this is the right place, but I had 8 new Discus juveniles 2.5-3.5 inches. All are fine;tagging onto the existing 7 (4-5 inches), but the Leopards are dark and hiding behind the sponge filter. This is a new 500L Discus only tank, fully cycled with 2 large canisters and 2 sponge filters. It is bare bottomed and only contains a 3D background 2 pieces of Iron wood /Mopari and a pot to Java Fern.

Parametres are: Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate 20-40ppm (tap water has this reading at the moment have added a litre of Seachem De-Nitrate in a doubled up Aquael 1000 after a 50% water change with aged water), Ph 7.8, Gh 8-16, Kh 6. Temp is stable at 29C

The thing is these are the first Leopards I have had so are the darker when this small or should I worry? Oh a Red Altum is also a brown colour but no where near as dark as the 3 Leopards.

Cheers
Lynn:confused:

LizStreithorst
10-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Please post a pic. Don't add chemicals. Do big WCs every day. You need to go to the disease section and answer the questions. It's hard for us to help knowing so little.

Akili
10-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Please post a pic. Don't add chemicals. Do big WCs every day. You need to go to the disease section and answer the questions. It's hard for us to help knowing so little.+1 http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete
You can copy the above questionaire, paste it in your thread, fill in the blanks and anything other information you think we might need.

lynn999
10-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the replies folks, I can't take a pic because my hubby is away with both the camera and my mobile phone. I contacted the supplier and he reassured me that this is the normal colour for Leopards. It seems I was panicking for nothing all 8 of the babies are swiming in the shoal today and eating Stendkar Garlic. They show no symptoms from the health/disease check list and they have none of the problems.

To answer the query, I have 13 Discus in this tank and change 25% once a day with aged water.

Thanks again
Lynn