PDA

View Full Version : Discus Family Tree

RobbieRobV
10-28-2016, 06:55 AM
Has anyone ever compiled a family tree of discus? I know it sounds funny, but it would be really interesting to know and be able to visualize where each strain came from. There are a few wild original discus which have their set patterns and colors, but then there are hundreds of variations... I'm just wondering if anyone has ever put together a chart showing where each variation came from. I think it would be really interesting to see such a chart. It would certainly be difficult because of the number of backcrosses and the limited information available on this topic, but I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible unless there is information that is kept as secret by certain breeders who found certain strains and did not want anyone to know how the new cross was made.

DISCUS STU
10-28-2016, 11:07 AM
Hey Rob. It's would be an interesting endeavor if it could be done successfully but between all the strains bred in the last 45 years or so in the U.S., Germany, Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, etc.) and all the back crosses I doubt it could be done successfully. There's just too many strains and more going all the time.

The last time I saw anything like this was from the 80's but then it was just general descriptions.

RobbieRobV
10-29-2016, 05:55 AM
I know it would be extremely complicated, but I'm sure if someone with enough information and enough interest took on this endeavor I'm sure there is a way to put that together. Not at all saying that it wouldn't have a million zig zags to represent back crosses, inbreeding and outcrosses, but it would be a really informative and interesting chart. Maybe if someone could just show the wild strains and a few basic domestics that were bred from those, that would be super interesting as well.

bluelagoon
10-29-2016, 09:55 AM
Those would look more like the red or blue turquoise discus.Probably not as red or blue back then as they are today.